Monogram, 1:25 scale 1969 Yenko Camaro (paint colors advice)

Monogram, 1:25 scale 1969 Yenko Camaro (paint colors advice)

July 2nd, 2018, 9:24 am #1

I'm about to start this kit, its been on my shelf waiting to be built for over  10 years  😀😙😎. I am wanting to make it as close to original/stock as a real 1969 Yenko Camaro was. I wish to paint it as close to real colors used on this model year Camaro as possible. I am  debating between LeMans Blue, Rallye Green or Hugger Orange. Can anyone direct me to  as close colors via various model paints brand or a mixing ratio of colors. I know  getting a proper color match may not be a big deal in the  general scheme of things, but my intention is to build this kit as a gift for my brother in law who is a life long Chevy man. I know I could  just settle for a gloss black and be pretty close to a stock black color  but I want a more vibrant color.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

July 2nd, 2018, 1:07 pm #2

There were no black Yenko '69 Camaros, so that's out right there.

Model Master has Hugger Orange in rattlecan. This is a basecoat/clearcoat system, which requires a clear topcoat. They also have Fathom Green, which is a correct color for a '69 Yenko. They also have Daytona Yellow, which is also correct. Their Nassau Blue might be able to pass for LeMans Blue

Testor has a Mystic Emerald which is in the ballpark for Rally Green, but much too flaky/sparkly for a factory paint. Tamiya has a metallic green that might pass for Rally Green, but I've never used it so cannot personally endorse.

In bottles, Testor Olds Engine Blue or True Blue Pearl might be close enough for LeMans Blue. There's no good match for Rally Green or Fathom Green or Hugger Orange. Of course you can order any real color you want from Model Car World paints online. I did my own Yenko in their Rally Green almost 30 years ago.

One tip on the Revell kit: You need to remove the wheel opening trim moldings. These are part of Style Trim Group and a Camaro that has them should have the fake chrome trim around the rear quarter vents, which the kit doesn't have. Or you could add that trim in photoetch if you want to go that way.

July 3rd, 2018, 2:04 am #3

Thanks for your info Snake, now I just have to decide which of these colors I want to pull the trigger on.

July 3rd, 2018, 2:14 am #4

All you have to do to open up the whole '69 Camaro color palette is to leave off the Yenko decals. All Yenkos were basically COPO 9561 L72 427 Camaros, which could be ordered in any color on the chart. (The Yenkos were only built in 6 colors.) 

If you want to see ALL the '69 Camaro colors and what they looked like, go here, scroll down to 1969, and click on any color. You'll see several different examples of cars in each color, several of which can be duplicated with common model paints. 

http://www.69pace.com/paint.htm#1969

July 3rd, 2018, 9:09 am #5

Thanks again for the cool added info.

July 4th, 2018, 9:18 am #6

I'm going with Hugger Orange and the Black Yenko stripe package. It has the most zing to me today and I think that color combo will pop out great for this 69 Camaro. I'm going with sanding off the wheel arch trim detail too.  Most of the 69 Yenkos did not have this package  but a few pics of some did have it. I like  my 1:25 scale kit to be sans this wheel arch detail.

July 4th, 2018, 1:44 pm #7

Gordon Shumway wrote: I'm going with Hugger Orange and the Black Yenko stripe package. It has the most zing to me today and I think that color combo will pop out great for this 69 Camaro. I'm going with sanding off the wheel arch trim detail too.  Most of the 69 Yenkos did not have this package  but a few pics of some did have it. I like  my 1:25 scale kit to be sans this wheel arch detail.
Sounds like a plan. Model Master has Hugger Orange in rattlecans. This is basecoat/clearcoat, which means it's flat and you have to either polish or clearcoat it. I can tell you that it WILL polish out to a nice shine, but if you're going to do that, put on at least three or four coats. And be VERY careful polishing around the sharp edges, and a '69 Camaro has a LOT of sharp edges. 

If you'd prefer to airbrush, Testor "little bottle" orange could be used, but Hugger Orange is just a shade darker/redder. You could handle this by adding just a dash of Testor #3 Red. Their Chevy Engine Red, a bright red-orange, is much too red for Hugger Orange. 

Here's a pair of '69 Chevelles showing the color. The one on the left, with vinyl top, I built in 1969 and painted Testor Orange, same color it is today. The other one I painted in the early '90s with Model Car World Hugger Orange, a perfect color match. You can see the subtle difference and decide for yourself if it matters to you. 

69ChevelleC01.jpg

July 4th, 2018, 6:08 pm #8

Thanks Snake,

Yes, I was going to use Testors bottle paint and air brush it on. I figured it would need a touch of red to darken it up a tad. I'm not to picky on it being 100% accurate, but a touch to darken it up will  bring it a bit closer. When I paint car kits I build up color coats, then  add a few coats of clear. Once dry I give the model a wet sanding and  high polishing to bring out a smooth gloss finish.