Moebius Skipjack

Moebius Skipjack

April 24th, 2012, 7:50 pm #1

Here is the new Moebius Skipjack these are a couple shots of the built-up first test shot.

There are a few details that will be changed on the production kit - but this is a reasonable representation of what you can expect when kits hit store shelves later this summer.
As of today we are expecting shipment around 6/25 - so kits ought to be available by mid - late July.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Metzner

New Product Manager
Moebius Models

April 24th, 2012, 9:50 pm #2

And altho it is not in my preffered scale, I will be getting one. Would you please consider a better stand? If it's not feasable, no problem, I can work around it....

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

April 24th, 2012, 10:16 pm #3

Here is the new Moebius Skipjack these are a couple shots of the built-up first test shot.

There are a few details that will be changed on the production kit - but this is a reasonable representation of what you can expect when kits hit store shelves later this summer.
As of today we are expecting shipment around 6/25 - so kits ought to be available by mid - late July.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Metzner

New Product Manager
Moebius Models
is it split up the middle like the Seaview?

the Seaview hull sections fit great, but struggling to get the seam to disappear.

hope the 'Jack is a bit easier

got one on backorder!

April 24th, 2012, 11:35 pm #4

Someone did a good job here as the Seaview took some effort

April 25th, 2012, 12:41 am #5

Thanks for looking.

Dave Metzner

New Product Manager
Moebius Models
Squadrons pre-sale price is less then what I pre-ordered direct ???? Tom

April 25th, 2012, 1:21 am #6

There is a horizontal seam at the mid line of the hull (top of the red portion) and a vertical seam about amidships.
The reason is two fold - 1st being tooling cost, It's substatially less costly to make the hull in four parts rather than two great big parts - 2nd - package size - making a four piece hull makes the kit box much smaller - this affects our shipping costs, smaller packages cost less for us to ship to our customer.

For what it's worth the model in the photos is a first test shot not a production kit - there is some filler in the hull but not a great amount.
the finished model was built - and painted over a week-end. Getting good results will not require superhuman efforts or great quatities of filler..For me the biggest challenge was painting this 43 inch long model. Wrestling with something that size in a limited work space can be real fun!

Here are a couple shots of the naked model - this is also the first test shot - one that was just whacked together to see how parts fit - the painted model is the same as this one, only build with a bit more care, and having a few defects cleaned up by the use of typical modeling filler putty.

Hope this explains how / why the kit has been enginered in this manner

Thanks,
Dave

April 25th, 2012, 9:05 am #7

Thanks for looking.

Dave Metzner

New Product Manager
Moebius Models
purchased many of your TV/movie sci-fi kits. LUV the big Flying Sub and Seaview!

Oh and thanks sooooooo much for recently releasing the Moon Bus before I had a chance to sell my two mint originals on eBay to some crazy person for $$$$! I think they're now worth MUCH less. Oh well. I will buy one of yours tho (and the Orion Clipper too) so I can finally build one w/o glue fingerprints all over to replace the one I built (badly) as a young teen.

April 25th, 2012, 3:01 pm #8

Thanks for looking.

Dave Metzner

New Product Manager
Moebius Models
Geez Loise, Dave- what a whopper! Any chance of seeing this build at the Big Show this year? I'm always in Artists' Alley, but I make it a point to hit the MM booth every year. What's the retail price on this honey?

Cheers!
chuk

April 25th, 2012, 8:00 pm #9

Retail is around 120.00 - I really don't know which shows it'll go to. I do product development - I don't attend many shows - If I-Hobby were in Chicago this year I'd be sure that the model would be there. Since they've moved it to Cleveland I'm not sure just what we'll have on display there.
We usually go to Comic Con but this isn't the kind of kit that would fit that show very well. I know that we'll be at the IPMS nationals this summer, I'll be there for that show - I'd bet that we'lll have the model there.

Dave

April 25th, 2012, 8:26 pm #10

Thanks for looking.

Dave Metzner

New Product Manager
Moebius Models
Great to see this kit. Thanks to Moebius for producing it.
Can't wait to get my hands on this