MIrage III Kits Question

MIrage III Kits Question

July 31st, 2012, 3:47 pm #1

Can anyone also give me an idea of teh best Mirage III kit to get for an Aussie version as well?

Thanks

John

July 31st, 2012, 6:29 pm #2

Hi, John,
In 1/72nd, injected styrene, you have the new PJ Productions / High Planes cooperative effort kits. I have a boxing intended to depict a Belgian Mirage VB/BR, but a IIIO could be built as well. That's the best of the lot, though panel lines remind me of Airfix kits and I have heard some adverse opinions about the nose contour.
Other than that you have the High Planes earlier offering which are probably better in outline and have much finer panel lines but are typical "limited run" models, i.e., scary ones.
Better forget about Heller and Revell earlier offerings, though in outline they are most probably bang on.
I have never seen the earlier PJ Productions resin models, which seemed to be the same as above.
In 1/48 I am afraid that the perspectives are grim, as only the old Heller or the limited run Fonderie Miniatures can be developed into a reasonable IIIO. Modern kits (Eduard and Hobbyboss) depict the earlier IIIC model, which is quite useless without major surgery. I know of no conversion set which allows you to go from C to E-type Mirages (there is a Red Roo which could be used with a Heller IIIB, a rather strange choice)
Hope that helps,
Fernando

August 1st, 2012, 2:50 am #3

Can anyone also give me an idea of teh best Mirage III kit to get for an Aussie version as well?

Thanks

John
In 1/72 at least.

Never mind about adapting the PJ boxing, you can go straight to the O(ssie) version

http://www.hpmhobbies.com/products/High ... 72%29.html

(don't worry about the "coming soon" tag, they're out and available).

I have to confess that the markings in the kit don't appeal hugely to me other than the silver (painted not BMF) 76 Sqn airframe (the image on the lid is an experimental scheme, albeit a slight variation on a standard scheme). Others are available.

The panel lines are a disappointment to be honest. Apparently the tanks are not great either. See review:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/features ... 72me_1.htm

I perhaps am being negative but I am going to try a technique I had a lot of success with on an airfix spitfire, painting a couple of layers of Tamiya liquid primer (if I had access to Mr Surfacer 500 I'd use that) and then sanding back. Takes time but worth it.

As noted the other options are the Heller kit; I gave up on one of those at the point at which I had more filler than kit; the REvell kit, the panel lines on which would embarrass Matchbox; and the 'old' High Planes (what is now HPM) kit which as noted is, apparently, hard work. Having failed to get far with one, that is, shall we say, an understatement.

August 1st, 2012, 3:18 am #4

Hi, John,
In 1/72nd, injected styrene, you have the new PJ Productions / High Planes cooperative effort kits. I have a boxing intended to depict a Belgian Mirage VB/BR, but a IIIO could be built as well. That's the best of the lot, though panel lines remind me of Airfix kits and I have heard some adverse opinions about the nose contour.
Other than that you have the High Planes earlier offering which are probably better in outline and have much finer panel lines but are typical "limited run" models, i.e., scary ones.
Better forget about Heller and Revell earlier offerings, though in outline they are most probably bang on.
I have never seen the earlier PJ Productions resin models, which seemed to be the same as above.
In 1/48 I am afraid that the perspectives are grim, as only the old Heller or the limited run Fonderie Miniatures can be developed into a reasonable IIIO. Modern kits (Eduard and Hobbyboss) depict the earlier IIIC model, which is quite useless without major surgery. I know of no conversion set which allows you to go from C to E-type Mirages (there is a Red Roo which could be used with a Heller IIIB, a rather strange choice)
Hope that helps,
Fernando
The ex Esci/now Italeri IIIE/O kit can be worked over to produce a nice model.

Hamilton Hobbies in Australia had a fuselage plug for the Eduard and Hobbyboss IIIC kits.

No mystery on Red Roo's choice of the IIIB as a basis, it has the longer fuselage required.

HiPM have mentioned that they're working on a 1/48 kit.

August 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm #5

Regarding the Red Roo one, I think it odd because there are better kits to base the conversion on (the Eduard/HB). Considering the lenght of the fuselage it is an ingenious solution, but, if you are already doing a resin conversion...
Fernando
Last edited by finargil on August 1st, 2012, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.