MiG 15 UTI getting there

MiG 15 UTI getting there

September 5th, 2011, 3:58 am #1

I really need to use a checklist when I work on models; I'm always doing things out of order, especially in my glee to get some paint down. Case in point, I primed the MiG in gloss black in preparation for the Alclad finish, but I forgot to re-scribe the flap lines that were lost in all the sanding. So, on with the Dymo Tape:

Then after scribing, a scrubbing with dish soap to get the tape residue off, and another coat of black just for good measure, it looks like this:

I'm planning to represent all other panel lines by masking and using different shades of Alclad, rather than scribing. I haven't tried that before, and am interested to see how it works.

I've also started dealing with all the doo-dads. The wheels are particularly awful:

but this is going to be 100% OOB, so I just painted 'em up, along with the gas tanks and struts:

The next step: Alclad. Glory? Disaster? Something in between? Stay tuned!

Stuart

September 5th, 2011, 5:31 am #2

So now I look at photos of MiGs and I'm not seeing the flap outline on the upper wing! They're there on the kit's painting guide; maybe their just very subtle in real life? This would be so much easier if I had an actual MiG in my back yard.

With me, building a kit is always one step forward, two steps backward, and maybe a step or two sideways.

Stuart

September 5th, 2011, 12:31 pm #3

I just grabbed my 4+ Publication on the MiG-15 and the excellent drawings show panel lines there. You are safe in that regard. But the MiG does have split flaps.

I will be joining in when my HB MiG 15 UTI arrives.

Cheers, Vic

September 5th, 2011, 12:32 pm #4

s

September 5th, 2011, 1:21 pm #5

So now I look at photos of MiGs and I'm not seeing the flap outline on the upper wing! They're there on the kit's painting guide; maybe their just very subtle in real life? This would be so much easier if I had an actual MiG in my back yard.

With me, building a kit is always one step forward, two steps backward, and maybe a step or two sideways.

Stuart
for the kind words and the info about the panel lines, Vic! In other uncertainties, I'm also not sure whether this should be true bare metal or aluminum paint--I guess I'll just see which it ends up looking like and calling that my decision.

I very much look forward to seeing your Hobby Boss MiG. I really like the MiG 15, especially the UTI, but I don't have a burning desire to do this Kopro kit again.

Stuart

September 5th, 2011, 3:24 pm #6

Looking at the the photos in the 4+ Publication, it 'appears' that they are in some sort of uniform finish initially. However, there have been posts lately by folks in the know that mentioned that Soviet aircraft were given a 'clearish' protective coat - that perhaps explains this appearance. Looking at some MiG-15 UTIs in later service, i.e. Pakistan, they are clearly NMF.

Regardless, I will be doing mine in a NMF as it is more about the process used to achieve the former, than being accurate

Cheers, Vic

September 5th, 2011, 11:54 pm #7

If I really wanted this to be an accurate MiG, (1) I wouldn't use the Kopro kit, and (2) I'd have to hire someone else to build it!

Stuart

September 6th, 2011, 2:14 am #8

I really need to use a checklist when I work on models; I'm always doing things out of order, especially in my glee to get some paint down. Case in point, I primed the MiG in gloss black in preparation for the Alclad finish, but I forgot to re-scribe the flap lines that were lost in all the sanding. So, on with the Dymo Tape:

Then after scribing, a scrubbing with dish soap to get the tape residue off, and another coat of black just for good measure, it looks like this:

I'm planning to represent all other panel lines by masking and using different shades of Alclad, rather than scribing. I haven't tried that before, and am interested to see how it works.

I've also started dealing with all the doo-dads. The wheels are particularly awful:

but this is going to be 100% OOB, so I just painted 'em up, along with the gas tanks and struts:

The next step: Alclad. Glory? Disaster? Something in between? Stay tuned!

Stuart
This morning I sprayed the first coat of Alclad (Duralumin). The idea is next to mask over the air brakes and various hatches and fuel caps and then spray regular Aluminum on top, leaving the masked items in the darker duralumin shade. Here's the base coat:

I reeeeally love Alclad. It is soooo easy to use; no thinning, sprays great and produces a wonderfully smooth metal-like surface.

Stuart

September 7th, 2011, 12:15 am #10

Well, it's about 80% of the KP kit--the other 20% has been sanded off and replaced with putty! But seriously, Alclad is magic; it should be illegal for NMF to be so easy.

Stuart