MFAK (old) Swordfish - finished (at last)

MFAK (old) Swordfish - finished (at last)

December 28th, 2011, 8:28 pm #1

Hello All,

I finally got the Swordfish finished today, and added the rest of the crew. Here we go:

It's a scheme taken out of the Warpaint book - I wanted grey undersides and I liked the roundel without a yellow circle. I think I've finally worked out how to do home printed serials and codes on an inkjet. The under wing codes should probably be stretched to fill the chord more but hey.

I took a tail wheel from my Frog Swordfish (it will be on floats, one day) and the extra crewman is from the Revell RAF personnel set, heavily modified. There are about 400 extra parts of plastic sheet, rod, strip, brass pins, fuze wire, sprue and balsa in there, but absolutely no resin or etch. I like the crew so I don't mind that they hide the interior detailing! Making the binoculars (x2) was a fun challenge.

Suffice to say that almost all the parts of the original kit were heavily modified, including the surgically enhanced torpedo. I don't think the real thing has bronze propellers but I thought it was fun...

Two questions came up:

(1) To make the lower wing handholds, first file out a notch in the wingtip using a square rat-tail file, then cut a furrow along the outside edge of the wing if it's thick (I used a razor saw slipped between my fingers to keep it on the edge), then stick stretched sprue in the furrow and sand back to the original profile.

(2) I extended the cowling backwards by 40 thou/1mm with some 30x40 strip, and used the original engine, detailed both fore and aft, after cutting out the sides of the domes at the top of the cylinders. I then painted the rest of the dome to suggest the exhaust pipes to the collector ring.

Yes, I know Airfix have a new one out!! I've seen the sprues at Telford and I think it's marvellous - I would give it kit of the year above the Tamiya Mustang (also on show there). However, I had a blast making this one. I may take a break from Swordfishes before I pick up a new one - anyway, I've still got a Matchbox/Revell and a Frog to do!

Now, if the "War in the Pacific" GB is still going, I've got a shake and bake Dinah to make next. Note to self "Do not browse Dinah walkarounds on the internet....." (whoops, too late!)

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

December 28th, 2011, 8:40 pm #2

Wow - I love your detail work. Amazing! And I agree about the crew: They may hide some details but they add so much to the life of the model. Very well done!

December 28th, 2011, 10:20 pm #3

Hello All,

I finally got the Swordfish finished today, and added the rest of the crew. Here we go:

It's a scheme taken out of the Warpaint book - I wanted grey undersides and I liked the roundel without a yellow circle. I think I've finally worked out how to do home printed serials and codes on an inkjet. The under wing codes should probably be stretched to fill the chord more but hey.

I took a tail wheel from my Frog Swordfish (it will be on floats, one day) and the extra crewman is from the Revell RAF personnel set, heavily modified. There are about 400 extra parts of plastic sheet, rod, strip, brass pins, fuze wire, sprue and balsa in there, but absolutely no resin or etch. I like the crew so I don't mind that they hide the interior detailing! Making the binoculars (x2) was a fun challenge.

Suffice to say that almost all the parts of the original kit were heavily modified, including the surgically enhanced torpedo. I don't think the real thing has bronze propellers but I thought it was fun...

Two questions came up:

(1) To make the lower wing handholds, first file out a notch in the wingtip using a square rat-tail file, then cut a furrow along the outside edge of the wing if it's thick (I used a razor saw slipped between my fingers to keep it on the edge), then stick stretched sprue in the furrow and sand back to the original profile.

(2) I extended the cowling backwards by 40 thou/1mm with some 30x40 strip, and used the original engine, detailed both fore and aft, after cutting out the sides of the domes at the top of the cylinders. I then painted the rest of the dome to suggest the exhaust pipes to the collector ring.

Yes, I know Airfix have a new one out!! I've seen the sprues at Telford and I think it's marvellous - I would give it kit of the year above the Tamiya Mustang (also on show there). However, I had a blast making this one. I may take a break from Swordfishes before I pick up a new one - anyway, I've still got a Matchbox/Revell and a Frog to do!

Now, if the "War in the Pacific" GB is still going, I've got a shake and bake Dinah to make next. Note to self "Do not browse Dinah walkarounds on the internet....." (whoops, too late!)

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
WOW !

December 28th, 2011, 10:36 pm #4

Hello All,

Two questions came up:

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
Adrian, fantastic work, an inspirational build, your improvements have really set it apart, top job.

I positively adore the crew. I think you need crew in aa kit, to give the 'human' scale and be able imagine yourself in their place.

Bravo Sir.

Cheers
Jim

December 28th, 2011, 11:32 pm #5

Hello All,

Two questions came up:

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
That is awesome! Turned out great. I LOVE the crew. They really make it look that much more real. The binoculars and the repositioned arms are a treat.

Well done!!!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

December 28th, 2011, 11:42 pm #6

Hello All,

Two questions came up:

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
The faded paint, the crew, the detail...superb.

Must go and re-read your previous posts again!

All the best,

Dermot

December 29th, 2011, 12:04 am #7

Hello All,

Two questions came up:

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
nice looking, thanks for the pic's...Mike very jealous!!!!

December 29th, 2011, 12:39 am #8

Hello All,

Two questions came up:

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
You could have said Tamiya 1/48 and I'd be none the wiser. Beautiful, astonishing work! And the crew figures look especially good.

Stuart

December 29th, 2011, 12:49 am #9

Hello All,

Two questions came up:

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
You used a bit more wash than you usually do on this build, looks fine. On this old kit, the heavier wash works perfectly.
A wonderful example of what can be done with these old kits in the right hands.
Perfect rigging, weathering just right, the wash, as I mentioned, but then the whole thing is really blown over the top with those very life-like crew members.
You're really coming into your own style and this is your high-water mark so far.
Cracking good job on this one Adrian, take a well deserved bow.

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

December 29th, 2011, 1:28 am #10

Hello All,

Two questions came up:

Thanks for looking,
Adrian
the best 1/72 Airfix Stringbag I've ever seen..... I have that old kit in the stash and will do some practice bleeding on it.... I hope mine turns out half as good as yours did.. WOW

Cheers,
Dave