Messerschmitt Me 209 H (or is it the Bf 109 V-55?)

.

Joined: January 5th, 2018, 10:10 am

June 11th, 2018, 9:57 pm #41

Barry, AMAZING work Sir!!.......your meticulous, methodical approach is truly inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing this in Phoenix. Too bad your approach to bowling is not as methodical!!

Gerry (Mr. Hurricane) 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 17th, 2005, 3:19 am

June 11th, 2018, 11:33 pm #42

Thanks, Gerry. 

Step.... step...step..step..stepstepstep then hurl 16 pounds (7.257 kilos) of cold, hard bakelite  as hard as you can down polished hardwood towards unsuspecting, misshapen plastic/wood/whatever pins. Then listen to them laughingly mock you as 8 of them remain tenaciously stuck to the floor. What's wrong with my approach to bowling? Except that it needs more beer...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 23rd, 2005, 12:22 am

June 12th, 2018, 11:40 am #43

Amazing modeling again Barry.  I'm speechless!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 17th, 2005, 3:19 am

June 14th, 2018, 3:51 am #44

Painting continues; here the RLM 74 has been applied.

IMG_6528

IMG_6526

...and finally on to the mottling.

IMG_6536

IMG_6535

IMG_6538

The slats were taped in place for positioning of the scallops. One the next few days I'll blend in the mottles and continue with touch ups. This is the fun part.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 3rd, 2005, 2:16 am

June 14th, 2018, 12:05 pm #45

Looks Great. Did this actually fly?
Cheers
Bill
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 17th, 2005, 3:19 am

June 15th, 2018, 12:16 am #46

Thanks, Bill. According to Thomas Hitchcock in his Ta 152 book, yes, it was built and flown. And a whole series of photos will remarkably be discovered two days after I finish this. They will prove me wrong in every respect...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 17th, 2005, 3:19 am

June 15th, 2018, 2:17 am #47

Regarding the mottles, there were two more steps taken. For some time I've been spraying very diluted RLM 76 around the mottles. This softens them and covers overspray to a great extent. Occasionally I'll go back and forth with the RLM 76 and 75/74 to get the desired effect. Next, I added a few spots of RLM 02 grey. Gunze 02 is nearly invisible, or at least it seems so to me. I added it to some of the mottle clusters and it did change the tonal effect. Finally it was time for the gloss overcoat in preparation for decals. In this case the gloss is Gunze GX-100 clear lacquer, diluted initially 5/1 (thinner/paint) then 7/1. This is the best gloss I have found and is very hard when dry. Anyway...a few photos.

IMG_6542


IMG_6540


IMG_6543
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 22nd, 2018, 7:25 pm

June 15th, 2018, 2:39 am #48

I like how you said this is the fun part. I always say the fun is starting them and finishing them, everything in between is just work. Assembly and prepwork can only be done one way, perfect, so THAT's boring...all that work and the best you can hope for is no one ever notices it. This really is a thankless hobby when you think of it. Suddenly I'm depressed. :)

Anyway, looking beautiful.
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 5th, 2018, 10:10 am

June 17th, 2018, 2:03 pm #49

Superb work on the mottling, I'm thinking this is going to be a show stopper Barry! One thing your going to have to demo for us is this two handed spraying technique.....sounds cumbersome, however the results show a perfect job.

Cheers
Gerry
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 17th, 2005, 3:19 am

June 18th, 2018, 4:37 am #50

Thanks, Gerry and stilltubeglue. The two handed airbrushing technique is only used for scalloping the wing leading edge, hence the weird cradle. Seventy-second scale is awkward on the face of it. Everything is so close together, I would love to do one of those ostrich skin pattern JG 54 109 Fs, but realize that getting the airbrush close to the fuselage where it meets the wing will be nearly impossible. I may have to paint the fuselage before attaching the wing.

There's not a lot to say with this update but it does follow a lot of work. Tonight I added the last decal, and frankly that couldn't come soon enough. During a typical build various things will bite you. On this one it was the decals. I hd to remove and replace one of the crosses three times. My go-to setting solution, Mr. Mark Softener, refused to work on decals that I had labelled "thin, works great", which now appear to be neither. Regardless, this phase is done. Next will come inspection, then anther sealing gloss coat before moving on the the really fun part, washes and weathering.

One note before moving on. Here in one picture is my method for applying simplified wing crosses. I cut out the white angles and use the center backing paper as a positioning guide. Wet it, slide off the clear film, and place it glue-side down on the wing. When it has dried out and sticks, snuggle the cross pieces up to the paper. After they have set, wet the paper and remove it. Viola, no worries about silvering of carrier film. 


IMG_6549



I know I've shown this a dozen times before, but it may be new to someone. Now, on to the latest photos.


IMG_6550


IMG_6552


IMG_6551

 
Quote
Like
Share