Messerschmitt Me 209 H (or is it the Bf 109 V-55?)

May 29th, 2018, 3:19 am #31

Thank you Gentlemen for the kind words. And Joe, the music stand is invaluable as a reference holder. It came from my former life as a classical musician.

Thank you Gentlemen for the kind words.

Progress his being made, but much of it just blocking and tackling. I've been doing a lot of scribing and riveting, then fixing the mistakes from sloppy scribing and riveting. It seems that skill with the Rosie the Riveter tool, like so much else, comes from much practice. So, I've decided to devote a portion of each modeling session to riveting. After a while, it becomes somewhat comfortable. 

The wing panels have been glued together and reinforced with 5 minute epoxy, then the mating surfaces were sanded to even things out. There is a reinforcing strip at the wing joint which helps cover some mismatches. But the next issue was deciding what material to use. I tried adhesive backed lead foil (too thick), aluminum tape (too crinkly) and vinyl tape (good, but not enough adhesion). I finally resorted to an old trick: very thick old decals. Remember how we used to complain that 1960's era decals were overly thick. Now, I look through vintage kit to see if they have decals that are thick enough. I used a Hawk F11C-2 Goshawk, vintage 1965. I cut some decals into approximately 1/16" strips and soaked them for at least 20 minutes in very hot water. They still had to be peeled off their backing paper with tweezers. After a number of attempts I got an acceptable result. This method can be used for any number of panels and strips, so keep your eyes open for old kits with those "terrible" decals.

After applying the strips, I primed the area and was satisfied with the result. Then came more riveting and scribing. I waited until to rivet near the wing joint,  since I didn't want to put too many coats of primer over rivets. Here are some photos of the progress so far.

[/url]IMG_6477

IMG_6476

I used an Eduard photo etched radiator as a stencil and painted the oil cooler panel. First a sheet of plastic was painted black, then brass was sprayed through the stencil. Since it can barely be seen and I was only looking for a representation, I found this to be acceptable.

IMG_6470

IMG_6468

While we're on the topic of stencils, I used those from the wheel wells again, this time for the landing gear covers. They are made from .010" plastic card. After cutting them out they were...you guessed it, riveted.

IMG_6479

IMG_6487

I've tortured the image to try to show the rivet pattern, without much success.

Finally to the present. The extended horizontals and rudder have been attached, as have the outboard flaps. The positioning tape is still in place. Next up will be filling in the gaps with 5 minute epoxy. This bird is starting to look as I  have imagined her.

IMG_6483

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26wFYQ5]IMG_6484

Thanks for persisting to this point; I hope you're enjoying the ride.

And Brett, I've copied and pasted this post from another site. I have no idea why sections of the text are underlined and I cannot eliminate it. This is not the case on the original post. Any thoughts?

May 31st, 2018, 9:41 pm #32

I reached a milestone today with the attachment of the wing. First, it was tacked on with liquid glue at various touch points. After that set up overnight  I flowed 5 minute epoxy into the joints and cleaned off the excess with Q-tips soaked in denatured alcohol. Finally, some Mr. Surfacer 500 was slopped into the areas that will need shaping. 

Before glueing on the wing, I finished scribing and riveting. I looks like a mess here with primer applied and sanded off in sections, pencil marks and    filled in kit panel lines. But hopefully this will disappear under another coat of primer. 

[/url]IMG_6498

There are still a few tricky things to be done before painting commences. The most difficult are the leading edge slats. As I've mentioned, the Pegasus kit plastic is typical of short run kits; very soft. I was wondering how to tackle them when Bill Dedig asked if I was going to take them from another kit. Lightbulb! I had done this with previous builds and it made life much easier. Since I the core of this conversion is the Fine Molds 109 G-10, I had the extra outer wing sections to use as donors.

This will give you an idea of what was done.

IMG_6495

I cut an oversized section from the upper wing and began sanding. I often used double sided tape to attach things like these slats to a thick piece of plastic card to use as a base while sanding. But since these slats are very thin, I needed some backup. It came in the form of a UMM aluminum sanding bar, which worked perfectly. The slat is taped to the plastic, which is then taped to the aluminum bar. Very rigid, yet the part can easily be adjusted.

The slats are now taped to the wing for sizing. I also taped on the inner flap. This thing is starting to look like a 747 right after landing. Everything is hanging out.

IMG_6499

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KA5kDw]IMG_6508

That's all for now, folks.Thanks for looking.

May 31st, 2018, 9:44 pm #33

Enjoying this tutorial, and that's a SLICK trick on that radiator front!

GIL

June 4th, 2018, 3:52 am #34

Thanks, Gil! A minor update tonight...

I've added the last of the flying surfaces and some remaining details. Here it how she looks after some more spot priming. Some more cleaning up to do, then it's on to painting.

[/url]IMG_6510

IMG_6513

June 4th, 2018, 1:02 pm #35

And with 58 days left you can get those Gigants finished.
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 9.00.02 AM.png
Cheers
Bill

June 5th, 2018, 2:05 am #36

What, only the one??? 

Anyway, I've added the last of the flying surfaces and some remaining details. Here it how she looks after some more spot priming. A bit more cleaning up to do, then it's on to painting.

[/url]IMG_6510

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27Q3GoH]IMG_6513

June 5th, 2018, 2:51 am #37

Gotta say it's a much more graceful looking bird than the 109! Your craftsmanship is outstanding, as (already) you've erased the evidence of individual sections of your work. It looks like a shake-n-bake kit now!

GIL

June 11th, 2018, 3:12 am #38

June 11th, 2018, 11:50 am #39

Greetings
Looks like the skills remain sharp even after those trips to the Spanish Civil War schemes. 
Hey, can you use the painting brace as a transport system for the Cookie tin?
Nice Work Barry

June 11th, 2018, 8:45 pm #40

Bill, my transport cradles are very similar but this was was made to expose the leading edge of the wing for painting purposes. I'll make another one for transport that will be more sturdy.