MER on F/A 18 A hornets

MER on F/A 18 A hornets

April 20th, 2012, 7:41 pm #1

I would like to know if the Multiple Ejector Racks used on eary hornets were the same as those used on F4 phantoms?

I build 1/32 and intend to use Tamiya MER with Academy aircraft.

Possible?

TIA

Dan

April 21st, 2012, 1:18 am #2

Per one of my books, i know they must have used a TER as one test misson was to carry six 500lb M-82 bombs and two 400 gallon tanks. The flight was from Pax River to Cape Hatteras, NC and return.

Maybe someone has the early 80's book Detail and Scale or Squadron/Signal book on early Hornets. Seems like there was something in F-18 Walk Around or a title similar to that. Good luck, George

April 21st, 2012, 2:25 am #3

I would like to know if the Multiple Ejector Racks used on eary hornets were the same as those used on F4 phantoms?

Possible?

TIA

Dan
I believe the problem is clearance. You wouldn't be able to use the flaps, if they used MERs, and the aircraft isn't high enough to use one on the centerline.

April 21st, 2012, 4:15 am #4

. . . I just watched this video linked over in Plane Talking and it shows MERs attached to Hornets (or maybe Super Bugs) on the Ike, although just carrying practice bombs or nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... DXRIM&NR=1

April 21st, 2012, 4:51 am #5

I believe the problem is clearance. You wouldn't be able to use the flaps, if they used MERs, and the aircraft isn't high enough to use one on the centerline.
The F/A-18A is definitely able to carry a MER. I just shot this VMFA-112 bird with a MER a few weeks back. From what I remember from my F-4 days, they are close to the same.

Frank M

April 21st, 2012, 6:16 am #6

I used to do performance analysis on the F-18A when it first flew, and I don't remember using MERs for payload-range charts. I thought I gave a valid reason why, but now, I am wondering about my memory.
Sorry.

I did notice on this picture, that the MER is mounted forward on the pylon, so that anything carried will clear the flap. Maybe that is a change from 1975.
Last edited by ronsm on April 21st, 2012, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2012, 1:03 pm #7

I have seen (and flown with) Mk.76 practice bombs loaded on MERs on F/A-18s. However, I don't recall ever seeing MERs loaded with live ordnance on F/A-18A or B model aircraft.

April 21st, 2012, 2:35 pm #8

Possible?

TIA

Dan
operationally or with anything besides practice bomblets.

BTW, check out those panel lines on that Hornet. A great example showing how they sometimes do look as pronounced as when people do a wash--even if it's not the norm.

Mike Todd

yeah, all except the part about him being presumed dead.

April 21st, 2012, 3:20 pm #9

Possible?

TIA

Dan
Lou Drendel's Squadron Signal 136 "F/A 18 in action" shows a pic (pp 34) of a Marine hornet carrying 28 MK 82 snakeye.

4 underwing MER are full, and a centerline MER bears 3 MK82 forward and a single MK82 rear for Lg doors clearance.

My question was; are the MER the same type as those carried by F4 phantoms, as I can't tell by the pic.

Thanks again,

Dan

April 21st, 2012, 10:38 pm #10

Sounds like that photo is the one rattling around in the far-back corners of my mind ...

Even if you plan on entering this model in a show, go ahead and build it as best you can. If you are having this much difficulty discovering the accurarcy regarding the MER's, the odds are that no one who would be a judge will know the difference either ... and the odds of a Weapons Loader professional coming in and saying "This isn't correct" are pretty danged slim. Happy modeling,

Who is to say authoritately that F-4 pylons were not used in that flight test. Same company made both aircraft. Good luck, and happy modeling, George