Me109 WIP

Me109 WIP

May 11th, 2011, 6:41 pm #1

Hey Ho All - I've been living over on the Airfix Forum the last wee while working on the 1/24 scale Big Spit. While that project is tied up in trying to whip the exhaust stacks into shape, I'm trying to knock off a quick build of a little adversary for the Spit. Picked up the Hobby Boss Me109 E4/7 kit in 1/72 scale for a measly 8 bucks on sale! Work starts by test fitting a pilot into the cockpit. The figure is from the old Monogram Dornier 17 kit. The seat sits a little too low, so I put in a shim of plastic on the seat mount to raise it just a tad:

I have photocopies of all sorts of instrument panel decals.
I scissor out the little indiviual instruments until I have a pile of them, like confetti. I pop 'em on one at a time with dots of superglue:

The panel looks pretty good (from a distance) sitting inside the fuselage:

Now for a few bits of interior detail. Not much, because not much will be seen.
A trim wheel cobbled together from parts off an old Fotocut photoetch fret, featuring various bits for WW1 aircraft:

A teeny throttle quadrant from bits of sheet and sprue:

Some paint and some paper shoulder straps for the Herr Oberst:

The wing to fuselage fit is not too bad, and our boy sits nicely under that canopy:

So far so good. Now some quick research on RLM colours (of which I know so little) and scrounge through the decal spares. I know I have Luftwaffe stuff in there somewhere!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 11th, 2011, 7:37 pm #2

Show 'em how it's done. Delightful little additions. That will turn out great. Can't wait to see the colors.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

May 11th, 2011, 8:53 pm #3

Hey Ho All - I've been living over on the Airfix Forum the last wee while working on the 1/24 scale Big Spit. While that project is tied up in trying to whip the exhaust stacks into shape, I'm trying to knock off a quick build of a little adversary for the Spit. Picked up the Hobby Boss Me109 E4/7 kit in 1/72 scale for a measly 8 bucks on sale! Work starts by test fitting a pilot into the cockpit. The figure is from the old Monogram Dornier 17 kit. The seat sits a little too low, so I put in a shim of plastic on the seat mount to raise it just a tad:

I scissor out the little indiviual instruments until I have a pile of them, like confetti. I pop 'em on one at a time with dots of superglue:

A trim wheel cobbled together from parts off an old Fotocut photoetch fret, featuring various bits for WW1 aircraft:

The wing to fuselage fit is not too bad, and our boy sits nicely under that canopy:

So far so good. Now some quick research on RLM colours (of which I know so little) and scrounge through the decal spares. I know I have Luftwaffe stuff in there somewhere!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Just give a shout if you get stuck, great start on this 109er, perfect pilot...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

May 11th, 2011, 11:43 pm #4

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Nice work Ted.

May 12th, 2011, 3:08 am #5

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
...to put a Dornier pilot into a Bf 109. Slim survival chances, I'd think

Great work so far - looking forward to see what scheme you decide on - so much to choose from.

I like those Hobby Boss kits. They are simple in terms of no. of parts and ease of construction, and all that plastic in the fuselage gives a nice weight to the model. Hm... should perhaps dig out one and take part in this GB...

May 12th, 2011, 4:09 am #6

Just give a shout if you get stuck, great start on this 109er, perfect pilot...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
I rummaged through the decal stash tonight and I think I'll be okay. Here's what I found. I have an old SuperScale sheet of Luftwaffe insignia:

And I have these leftovers from an even older MicroScale sheet meant for Bf109 B, C, D versions:

And I have the Hobby Boss decals which look pretty darn good:

A serious slathering of decal film and these should be good. As for a scheme, well, I'm new at Luftwaffe stuff and I've been avoiding it frankly because as I'm sure many of you guys have discovered - once you get started it's hard to stop! I've been thinking about this kind of Battle Of Britain colour scheme:

But I need a scheme from around September-October 1940, and from the research I've done so far it should be this scheme, correct?:

If it's the latter, I'm not sure I can pull that one off in 1/72 scale. And here's an even more pressing question: I've got a pretty good handle on RLM colours, but what colour should the wheel wells and landing gear struts be? Any help greatly appreciated!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1;

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 12th, 2011, 4:30 am #7

Great work so far - looking forward to see what scheme you decide on - so much to choose from.

I like those Hobby Boss kits. They are simple in terms of no. of parts and ease of construction, and all that plastic in the fuselage gives a nice weight to the model. Hm... should perhaps dig out one and take part in this GB...

Good call on the Dornier pilot, Claus! I'm still laughing over that one! I'm not sure at this point what the heck to do for a colour scheme. Still trying to decide: early Battle Of Britain scheme, or later? Stay tuned!
Best! Ted!
Jeez...you guys crack me up!

WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1;

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 12th, 2011, 2:28 pm #8

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Very nice IP and interior detailing. This will be nice!

BTW, I'm surprised to see the way the fuselage is split on the kit. Is the upper part all one piece with no top seam?

Stuart

May 12th, 2011, 5:44 pm #9

Yeah, that's how these Hobby Boss quick build kits are molded, Stuart. The entire wing assembly is one piece as well. The upper fuselage has tabs which slot into holes in the lower portion of the fuselage that's molded with the wings. I removed the tabs so I could tweak the fit a little better, even though its very good the way it is. I'm eyeballing that join seam along the lower sides - I want to get rid of the seam, but I don't want to be layering in a whole lot of putty in there. Still pondering that one!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1;

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 12th, 2011, 7:18 pm #10