Me109 Fini!

Me109 Fini!

June 2nd, 2011, 4:42 am #1

Dang it all, I can't get over the cool builds going on here. What fun! I'm calling the little Me109 done, such as she is:

Following William De Coster's advice on this Hobby Boss kit, I shortened the landing gear, but it still looked a wee bit too long in the end:

And those kinked landing gear doors - what the? They're supposed to line up straight along the landing gear struts, but were obviously molded to lay down flush with the wing if you chose the 'gear up' configuration, and I caught it only after I had super glued the whole works together:

My camera makes that RLM 65 look like a sky green colour, but trust me - that's Hellblau 65 alright:

I've only ever built one other 109. A Hasegawa Me109E kit that I converted to a Bf109D model (my first ever conversion project), back in the mid 80's. It's the oldest surviving kit I own and it's a battered, war-weary model that has survived four moves of 8,000 miles plus and a hell of a lot of damage along the way, but I just can't part with it or rebuild it, because I like it just the way it is:

So what do I know from Luftwaffe colours? Nada. Is this an accurate representation of a Battle Of Britain era Me 109? Nope. The unit emblem I used for this build came from the same aftermarket decal sheet as the Hasegawa 109. The unit wasn't identified on the sheet. Turns out it's for NG77 - a night fighter unit flying D models in Norway in May 1940. Oops! Ah well, I liked the look of it so I slapped it on:

It also turns out the topside camouflage I picked for this bird may not be correct either. Sheesh! After some quick and dirty Internet research, I based the scheme on this information:

The caption is too small to read, but it says this scheme was used from the Spring of 1940 onward. Good enough for me!:

Flaws and all, this kit was a real pleasure to build - it changed my jaded mind about Hobby Boss 'quick build' kits. And it sure looks good on the shelf with my other late 30's, early 40's kits:

Many thanks to everyone who offered their compliments, criticisms and advice on this Me109 and Luftwaffe WW2 builds in general! And..oh..here are a couple of teaser shots of an up and coming Tall Tale:

Wait for it!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

June 2nd, 2011, 11:24 am #2

Nice splinter camo too.

Regards,
Adrian

June 2nd, 2011, 12:02 pm #3

Dang it all, I can't get over the cool builds going on here. What fun! I'm calling the little Me109 done, such as she is:

Following William De Coster's advice on this Hobby Boss kit, I shortened the landing gear, but it still looked a wee bit too long in the end:

And those kinked landing gear doors - what the? They're supposed to line up straight along the landing gear struts, but were obviously molded to lay down flush with the wing if you chose the 'gear up' configuration, and I caught it only after I had super glued the whole works together:

My camera makes that RLM 65 look like a sky green colour, but trust me - that's Hellblau 65 alright:

I've only ever built one other 109. A Hasegawa Me109E kit that I converted to a Bf109D model (my first ever conversion project), back in the mid 80's. It's the oldest surviving kit I own and it's a battered, war-weary model that has survived four moves of 8,000 miles plus and a hell of a lot of damage along the way, but I just can't part with it or rebuild it, because I like it just the way it is:

So what do I know from Luftwaffe colours? Nada. Is this an accurate representation of a Battle Of Britain era Me 109? Nope. The unit emblem I used for this build came from the same aftermarket decal sheet as the Hasegawa 109. The unit wasn't identified on the sheet. Turns out it's for NG77 - a night fighter unit flying D models in Norway in May 1940. Oops! Ah well, I liked the look of it so I slapped it on:

It also turns out the topside camouflage I picked for this bird may not be correct either. Sheesh! After some quick and dirty Internet research, I based the scheme on this information:

The caption is too small to read, but it says this scheme was used from the Spring of 1940 onward. Good enough for me!:

Flaws and all, this kit was a real pleasure to build - it changed my jaded mind about Hobby Boss 'quick build' kits. And it sure looks good on the shelf with my other late 30's, early 40's kits:

Many thanks to everyone who offered their compliments, criticisms and advice on this Me109 and Luftwaffe WW2 builds in general! And..oh..here are a couple of teaser shots of an up and coming Tall Tale:

Wait for it!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Excellent job!!!

June 2nd, 2011, 1:55 pm #4

Wait for it!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I like the 'teaser' photograph at the end. Looking forward to our 'meeting in the pub' Friday night.

Cheers, Vic

June 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm #5

Wait for it!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I like it very much, Ted: actually looks like those aircraft when the Luftwaffe was sure to win the war.
And, by the way: Beautiful Dewoitine 510 you have on the shelf! Heller's issue, is it?
Massimo LaCivita

June 2nd, 2011, 5:12 pm #9

I like it very much, Ted: actually looks like those aircraft when the Luftwaffe was sure to win the war.
And, by the way: Beautiful Dewoitine 510 you have on the shelf! Heller's issue, is it?
Yeah, these Me109's sure are wicked looking aircraft, that's for sure! I can really see myself chasing down the Airfix 1/24 scale Me109E as a companion to the Big Spit. Sharp eyes, buddy - yep, that's the Heller Dewointine kit alright. An excellent kit I would love to pick up again and build in the French Air Force camo version!
Thanks - as always - for your comments, my friend.
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

June 2nd, 2011, 7:52 pm #10

Wait for it!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Great work on this basic kit - yes, I also have a few other Hobby Boss kits in the stash, they are not that bad

I love your camo scheme, one day I will do one too like this

And very interesting to see your first conversion job - the civil war 109D, did you create your own D nose - or was it an aftermarket ? Looks cool enough though !

And impressed by your shelves - boy, you stil have plenty of ROOM ! My kits are stuffed in two and three rows on my shelves - and heck, I can see space for more shelves too - there is siome potential Ted !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Group Build Airfix Kits - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Plastic Pics Vami Models - Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God