Matt Odom's Ki84. In Hasegawa's defence.

Matt Odom's Ki84. In Hasegawa's defence.

August 7th, 2012, 3:17 pm #1

Hi.

I was just reading Matt Odom's article about his very fine build of Hasegawa's 1:48 Ki-84 and felt I had to come to Hasegawa's defence on one point.

Matt describes the seat provided in the kit as atrocious but in fact, while it is a bit clunky it is actually a reasonable depiction of the seat as you would find it in a flight ready machine.

The etched brass seat Matt used to replace the kit version is a very nice representation of the seat but it is in "naked" form. In a flight-ready aircraft there would be a padded back rest which looks pretty much like that moulded on the Hasegawa seat. The seat pan would be filled by a parachute pack with a thin cushion on top as depicted by Hasegawa. Japanese practice was to leave the chute in the cockpit and clip it to the parachute harness after the pilot entered the cockpit.

So while Hasegawa could have done a finer job on the seat it is essentially correct. They did their homework.

Cheers,
Robert M

August 7th, 2012, 4:28 pm #2

-certainly I have at least a couple of photos that would strongly indicate it was fitted to at least some machines..