Matilda; some feedback needed

Matilda; some feedback needed

December 28th, 2011, 5:09 pm #1

I'm close to finishing my Tamiya Maltilda (I've only have had it in work for the past year or so). I did some washes and weathering but wanted a bit of feedback before I added the final clear/sealer coat.

Let me know what you think..

Thanks,

Jeff

Kent Kirkpatrick
Kent Kirkpatrick

December 28th, 2011, 5:18 pm #2

I have a particular interest in British armor and you have done a really nice job on this Matilda. I applaud your
building / finishing skills. Congrats!

Regards,
Kent

December 28th, 2011, 5:44 pm #3

....but she's not done just yet. A few more things left to do and I have to finish painting the figures and add them.

Also thinking of a diorama with another British subject but can't decide which.

Any ideas?

Jeff

December 28th, 2011, 6:32 pm #4

I'm close to finishing my Tamiya Maltilda (I've only have had it in work for the past year or so). I did some washes and weathering but wanted a bit of feedback before I added the final clear/sealer coat.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff,

1. Did you use the barrel in the kit? If not, what did you use?

2. How much masking tape did you use to get the 3 colored camo scheme?

I've got that same kit and if you don't mind, I'm going to use those pictures as inspiration when I do mine..

Great job!

December 28th, 2011, 7:33 pm #5

Thanks,

Jeff
Dare I say it. Your Matilda is nicely built but the Tamiya colour instructions are inaccurate. Blue was not a colour used in this scheme and the pattern is incorrectly depicted on the instructions. The colours used for Caunter were Light Stone BS.61 or Portland Stone BS.64 basic with Silver Grey 28 and Slate 34 as disruptive stripes. I have a copy of the original 1940 drawing for cruiser tanks that applies here. The was an article in Mil Mod two years ago about the correct layout of the scheme and the variations that were applied. The Tamiya mixes for the correct colours were on Missing Lnyx last year. Sorry to write this, but never ever trust kit artwork for British vehicles especially when they are produced in the Far East. There resources if any, are about 30 years out of date. The best colour information Tamiya have done recently is with their 1/35 Austin 'Tilly' which is accurate.

December 28th, 2011, 8:18 pm #6

...not much that can be done now.

I built it OOB. I'm no expert on armor and don't research these as I do aircraft. I basically enjoy building Tamiya armor kits because they're fun and they go together so well and aren't way overdone like Dragon/DML (with a gojillion parts and PE). I don't keep up on armor publications or armor mags so it stands to reason I wouldn't have seen any discussion regarding the inaccuracies.

I still like the colors (even though they may not be accurate).

Thanks for the input.

jeff

December 28th, 2011, 8:20 pm #7

Jeff,

1. Did you use the barrel in the kit? If not, what did you use?

2. How much masking tape did you use to get the 3 colored camo scheme?

I've got that same kit and if you don't mind, I'm going to use those pictures as inspiration when I do mine..

Great job!

I did use the kit barrel. it wasn't bad, some very minor seam clean up.

I did use quite a bit of tape for the color masking. Lots of small pieces that were cut so the pattern could be made. Time consuming but worth it.

Thanks for the nice comments.

jeff

December 29th, 2011, 12:01 am #8

Thanks,

Jeff
brave man....I've never had the balls to try that paint scheme..the masking and all the nooks and crannies.....God Bless you my man! Mike.

December 31st, 2011, 8:58 pm #9

...not much that can be done now.

I built it OOB. I'm no expert on armor and don't research these as I do aircraft. I basically enjoy building Tamiya armor kits because they're fun and they go together so well and aren't way overdone like Dragon/DML (with a gojillion parts and PE). I don't keep up on armor publications or armor mags so it stands to reason I wouldn't have seen any discussion regarding the inaccuracies.

I still like the colors (even though they may not be accurate).

Thanks for the input.

jeff
Since you like it I am pleased for you. That is what modelling is about.