Matilda Makover - BEF Armour Force Done!

Matilda Makover - BEF Armour Force Done!

July 27th, 2011, 6:35 pm #1

The BEF Armoured Force is ready for action! Advancing to contact are an Airfix Matilda Infantry Tank Mk.II (Matilda Mk.I), a Milicast Models Cruiser A13 Mk.II, an Airfix Vickers Mk.VIc and the Milicast Infantry Tank Matilda Mk.I (A11):

After applying a black oil wash to the AB figures they were flat coated and then all the machines were lightly mucked up with some basic Humbrol brown paint. The big Matilda, unknown squadron, 7th Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 1st (Army) Tank Brigade, Arras, France, June 1940:

Cruiser Mk. IVA, 5 Troop, B Squadron, 2nd Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 3rd Armd Bde, 1st Armd Div, 1940:

Matilda Mk.I (A11), unknown squadron, 4th Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 1st (Army) Tank Brigade, France, 1940:

And the Vickers Mk.VIc (this was built previously, but an AB Figures crewman added for this project), Headquarters, B Squadron, 9th Queen's Royal Lancers, 2nd Armd Bde, 1st Armd Div, France, June 1940:

As many of you know, virtually none of the BEF's heavy equipment made it back to Britain after the debacle in France. I couldn't help wondering about the ultimate fate of these iconic British armoured vehicles. I assigned my Project X team of investigators to see what they could uncover. Turns out the Cruiser Mk.IVA was abandoned outside Dunkirk. It was recovered by the Germans and eventually assigned to a local militia unit in Hungary. Captured by the Russians, the Cruiser was used as a firing range target in the 1950's and 60's. The range is no longer in use, but the rusty, scattered remains of the Cruiser can still be seen there to this day:

The Matilda Mk.II was knocked out during the Battle of Arras. The burned out hulk was shipped to a Krupp factory in Essen and melted down into U-Boat parts. It's ironic to consider that most of the Matilda ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean:

The Vickers Mk.VIc was destroyed by a Panzer 38(t) in an ambush during the retreat from Arras. It sat in a field outside a French village until well after the war, used as a playground structure by local children until finally hauled away to the scrapyard:

The Matilda Mk.I (A11) was also found abandoned at Dunkirk. It languished in a vehicle park until a French farmer bought it after the war to use as a tractor. It sat forgotten in a barn until the late 1990's when it was discovered by a group of British armour enthusiasts who returned it to England and restored it to running condition, where it draws interested crowds:

Fun little builds, all. And a fun little epilogue for your entertainment!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3;

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

July 27th, 2011, 6:49 pm #2

Now how about doing a few BEF softskins?

July 27th, 2011, 7:03 pm #3

I definitely want to do a Bren Gun/Scout carrier. The new Airfix Bedford trucks would certainly be BEF candidates. And that little Morris of yours - a flatbed version of the vehicle, the Morris CS8 GS 15cwt truck, was widely used in the BEF. Hoo boy - looks like I'm going to end up with a lot more of this stuff, Claus - I blame you!!!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

July 27th, 2011, 7:15 pm #4

...sorry to kill your joy but they are not BEF. Production started 1941, according to the instruction sheet.

You talk about blame? OK, Neil is to blame for me buying the Bedford set, but guess whose fault it is that I had a look at the Milicast site recently and found the Bedford QLB conversion?
Last edited by Claus Dam on July 27th, 2011, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 27th, 2011, 7:25 pm #5

The BEF Armoured Force is ready for action! Advancing to contact are an Airfix Matilda Infantry Tank Mk.II (Matilda Mk.I), a Milicast Models Cruiser A13 Mk.II, an Airfix Vickers Mk.VIc and the Milicast Infantry Tank Matilda Mk.I (A11):

After applying a black oil wash to the AB figures they were flat coated and then all the machines were lightly mucked up with some basic Humbrol brown paint. The big Matilda, unknown squadron, 7th Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 1st (Army) Tank Brigade, Arras, France, June 1940:

Cruiser Mk. IVA, 5 Troop, B Squadron, 2nd Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 3rd Armd Bde, 1st Armd Div, 1940:

Matilda Mk.I (A11), unknown squadron, 4th Bn Royal Tank Regiment, 1st (Army) Tank Brigade, France, 1940:

And the Vickers Mk.VIc (this was built previously, but an AB Figures crewman added for this project), Headquarters, B Squadron, 9th Queen's Royal Lancers, 2nd Armd Bde, 1st Armd Div, France, June 1940:

As many of you know, virtually none of the BEF's heavy equipment made it back to Britain after the debacle in France. I couldn't help wondering about the ultimate fate of these iconic British armoured vehicles. I assigned my Project X team of investigators to see what they could uncover. Turns out the Cruiser Mk.IVA was abandoned outside Dunkirk. It was recovered by the Germans and eventually assigned to a local militia unit in Hungary. Captured by the Russians, the Cruiser was used as a firing range target in the 1950's and 60's. The range is no longer in use, but the rusty, scattered remains of the Cruiser can still be seen there to this day:

The Matilda Mk.II was knocked out during the Battle of Arras. The burned out hulk was shipped to a Krupp factory in Essen and melted down into U-Boat parts. It's ironic to consider that most of the Matilda ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean:

The Vickers Mk.VIc was destroyed by a Panzer 38(t) in an ambush during the retreat from Arras. It sat in a field outside a French village until well after the war, used as a playground structure by local children until finally hauled away to the scrapyard:

The Matilda Mk.I (A11) was also found abandoned at Dunkirk. It languished in a vehicle park until a French farmer bought it after the war to use as a tractor. It sat forgotten in a barn until the late 1990's when it was discovered by a group of British armour enthusiasts who returned it to England and restored it to running condition, where it draws interested crowds:

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Very nicely done indeed. I like the background too. Those are tanks you don't often see too which is great.

Well done!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

July 27th, 2011, 9:13 pm #6

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

A infantryman would have been a one-man wrecking crew with the old Carl G (hey, we still use it!) back than Ted. Excellent results and I love the amazing research that went into the narrative.

Cheers, Tank Killer Vic...
Last edited by Vic Scheuerman on July 27th, 2011, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 27th, 2011, 9:14 pm #7

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

A infantryman would have been a one-man wrecking crew with the old Carl G (hey, we still use it!) back than Ted. Excellent results and I love the amazing research that went into the narrative.

Cheers, Tank Killer Vic...

July 27th, 2011, 9:52 pm #8

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Outstanding work!!!

July 27th, 2011, 10:39 pm #9

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

They all look really good Ted. It was fun to follow your posts and comments and see your builds morph and come alive. Well done. Tom

July 28th, 2011, 2:10 am #10

...sorry to kill your joy but they are not BEF. Production started 1941, according to the instruction sheet.

You talk about blame? OK, Neil is to blame for me buying the Bedford set, but guess whose fault it is that I had a look at the Milicast site recently and found the Bedford QLB conversion?

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds: