Matilda Makeover - BEF Armour Force

Matilda Makeover - BEF Armour Force

June 14th, 2011, 10:08 pm #1

Some of you may remember the little 1/76 scale Airfix Vickers tank I built a while back:

I was so taken by the cool camouflage and markings of this BEF tank I decided
I wanted the Airfix Matilda (same scale) kit that I had already built to be part of
the BEF as well. Here's what the Matilda looked like before the makeover began:

I actually started on this project halfway through The Big Spit build, but shelved it.
I had some WIP shots, but lost them in a hard-drive meltdown. Here's as far as I got:

The Airfix kit is the later Mark II version and the Matilda used by the BEF looked a
little different. I wasn't going to tear the whole kit apart, so I satisfied myself to dress up the kit so it looked the part. I cut off the old machine gun
and reshaped another from a piece of rod to look like the earlier style. Bits of sheet styrene were cut to extend the mudguards:

The rear mudguards got the same treatment, and more sheet was cut and shaped for that
big, clunky exhaust housing hanging off the tank's butt. The vertical cylinder on the turret was another piece of rod:

To flesh out my armour force, I picked up the excellent cast resin A13 Early cruiser tank from Milicast Models. The hull and road
wheels are a single casting and the cleanup was a breeze. I replaced the smoke dischargers on the turret with bits of rod and sprue, and that was it:

Now here's something weird - the bottom of the Cruiser tank casting was wide open, so I cut a piece of .10 thou sheet to cover it.
I guess the styrene was too thin, because it buckled and heaved after the paint dried:

Also from Milicast, I snagged their little A11 matilda Infantry tank. The late style, with the repositioned headlamps and hull storage boxes.
I added the driver side mirror and some square bits front and back that will hold the unit markings. I rebuilt the headlamps as well, as the resin originals
were a bit gummed up with flash:

Now, this kit needed some very delicate cleanup around the treads and running gear!
Both track sides are molded as separate pieces and they're very weak and fiddly:

Well, next step is to mask up these babies and get the camo on. Hope you like 'em!
Best...Ted...

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

June 14th, 2011, 10:15 pm #2

were just a wings man, but now I know otherwise! I used to build these little tanks as well, such fun and you can fit so many into a small space. Great builds - they look to be very neat and clean so far.

June 14th, 2011, 10:23 pm #3

Some of you may remember the little 1/76 scale Airfix Vickers tank I built a while back:

I wanted the Airfix Matilda (same scale) kit that I had already built to be part of

I actually started on this project halfway through The Big Spit build, but shelved it.
I had some WIP shots, but lost them in a hard-drive meltdown. Here's as far as I got:

The Airfix kit is the later Mark II version and the Matilda used by the BEF looked a
little different. I wasn't going to tear the whole kit apart, so I satisfied myself to dress up the kit so it looked the part. I cut off the old machine gun
and reshaped another from a piece of rod to look like the earlier style. Bits of sheet styrene were cut to extend the mudguards:

The rear mudguards got the same treatment, and more sheet was cut and shaped for that
big, clunky exhaust housing hanging off the tank's butt. The vertical cylinder on the turret was another piece of rod:

To flesh out my armour force, I picked up the excellent cast resin A13 Early cruiser tank from Milicast Models. The hull and road
wheels are a single casting and the cleanup was a breeze. I replaced the smoke dischargers on the turret with bits of rod and sprue, and that was it:

Now here's something weird - the bottom of the Cruiser tank casting was wide open, so I cut a piece of .10 thou sheet to cover it.
I guess the styrene was too thin, because it buckled and heaved after the paint dried:

Also from Milicast, I snagged their little A11 matilda Infantry tank. The late style, with the repositioned headlamps and hull storage boxes.
I added the driver side mirror and some square bits front and back that will hold the unit markings. I rebuilt the headlamps as well, as the resin originals

Now, this kit needed some very delicate cleanup around the treads and running gear!
Both track sides are molded as separate pieces and they're very weak and fiddly:

Well, next step is to mask up these babies and get the camo on. Hope you like 'em!
Best...Ted...

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
These Milicats Models look awesome - and damn fine, I always believed them to be more crude, don't know why... but glad you showed me otherwise

I love the BEF theme - they helped to defend Belgium in the early days of the Blitzkrieg in the West, the Matilda was one of the better tanks. I never found much information about this subject when I was in my tank period 20 - 30 years ago... things have improved since then probably. I just need to get back into it - and Ted, I think you're just the man to do this !

Great work - great subjects !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Vami Models - resin Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)
- AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 14th, 2011, 11:39 pm #4

were just a wings man, but now I know otherwise! I used to build these little tanks as well, such fun and you can fit so many into a small space. Great builds - they look to be very neat and clean so far.
When in evil company,try to blend in.-Wild Bill Donovan

June 14th, 2011, 11:39 pm #5

Best...Ted...

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Hi Ted,

Amazing work, quite a unique collection of armour and well made. I have not seen the Scammell made up, any chance of posting some more photos of it?

Love the Matilda... more power to your elbow!

Simon

June 15th, 2011, 2:11 am #6

Best...Ted...

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

You're building too many cool things that I now want to build !!!!!

Arrrrgg...........

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

June 15th, 2011, 3:42 am #8

I've been known to dip into the 'heavy metal'! I really dig these Airfix armour kits - and you're right - they don't take up much space. All the more room to build more!
Best...Ted...

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Previous WIP Builds:

June 15th, 2011, 3:44 am #10

These Milicats Models look awesome - and damn fine, I always believed them to be more crude, don't know why... but glad you showed me otherwise

I love the BEF theme - they helped to defend Belgium in the early days of the Blitzkrieg in the West, the Matilda was one of the better tanks. I never found much information about this subject when I was in my tank period 20 - 30 years ago... things have improved since then probably. I just need to get back into it - and Ted, I think you're just the man to do this !

Great work - great subjects !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Vami Models - resin Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)
- AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
The more I look at this BEF stuff, the more I like it, William. I can see myself doing even more. I can also see myself buying more Milicast stuff - they've got an awesome collection of armour, soft skins, etc.!
Best...Ted...

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Previous WIP Builds: