Matilda Makeover - BEF Armour Force Part 2

Matilda Makeover - BEF Armour Force Part 2

July 10th, 2011, 9:57 pm #1

Hey Ho All - I finally found (made) some time to get back at my favourite pastime. The Wehrmacht is sweeping across France after breaking through at the Ardenne, and the BEF armoured force is scrambling to get ready to meet the onslaught! I masked off the base coat of Xtracolor Deep Bronze Green on the Matlida with Xtracolor Lichen Green (the best match for Middle Green I could find in the LHS). A gloss coat from a Testors rattle can went on, then the decals, then another coat of gloss in preparation for an oil wash. That's when I spotted trouble. The paint on the Matilda crinkled under the second gloss coat, forcing me to resort to try to sand away the worst affected areas:

There was some crazing at the rear as well. Ah well, at least the decals went on okay. The white square of sheet styrene is a licence plate I forgot to add before painting:

I think I know what went wrong with the gloss coat. Being the cheapskate that I am, I used what was left in the can when it was almost empty. I think there was more carrier fluid in it than actual gloss base coat. That's my theory, anyway!

Strangely enough, the little A11 Infantry tank version of the Matilda - the Milicast Models resin kit - wasn't affected by the gloss coat at all:

Same deal with the A13 Cruiser kit from Milicast:

The white metal figures are AB Figures, also ordered from Milicast. I'm doing detail painting on all kits such as the tracks, spare tracks, fire extinguishers, etc., then the oil wash goes on. More (hopefully) soon! Oh, before I go - since I'm in 'makeover mode' with the Airfix Matilda, I dragged out an old H***gawa Mig 17 kit that got crunched in a move. I'm kinda, sorta thinking about rebuilding it. I feel the need to have SOMETHING Soviet in my 1950's jet collection:

Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

July 10th, 2011, 11:01 pm #2

how come your modelling mat is so clean? Mine looks like a house-painter's drop sheet!
With all this restoration work going on by the likes of your good self and Simon and others we should suggest a new AGB theme based on resuscitated old models!

July 10th, 2011, 11:12 pm #3

Hey Ho All - I finally found (made) some time to get back at my favourite pastime. The Wehrmacht is sweeping across France after breaking through at the Ardenne, and the BEF armoured force is scrambling to get ready to meet the onslaught! I masked off the base coat of Xtracolor Deep Bronze Green on the Matlida with Xtracolor Lichen Green (the best match for Middle Green I could find in the LHS). A gloss coat from a Testors rattle can went on, then the decals, then another coat of gloss in preparation for an oil wash. That's when I spotted trouble. The paint on the Matilda crinkled under the second gloss coat, forcing me to resort to try to sand away the worst affected areas:

There was some crazing at the rear as well. Ah well, at least the decals went on okay. The white square of sheet styrene is a licence plate I forgot to add before painting:

I think I know what went wrong with the gloss coat. Being the cheapskate that I am, I used what was left in the can when it was almost empty. I think there was more carrier fluid in it than actual gloss base coat. That's my theory, anyway!

Strangely enough, the little A11 Infantry tank version of the Matilda - the Milicast Models resin kit - wasn't affected by the gloss coat at all:

The white metal figures are AB Figures, also ordered from Milicast. I'm doing detail painting on all kits such as the tracks, spare tracks, fire extinguishers, etc., then the oil wash goes on. More (hopefully) soon! Oh, before I go - since I'm in 'makeover mode' with the Airfix Matilda, I dragged out an old H***gawa Mig 17 kit that got crunched in a move. I'm kinda, sorta thinking about rebuilding it. I feel the need to have SOMETHING Soviet in my 1950's jet collection:

Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
with an old tin of Hmbrol Matt. ( I mean, what was I thinking . .?!)
Nice green on those targets, too. Gave me in inspiration in re: green tints.
Funny how nothing comes to mind, while looking at your own bench. But seeing someone else's build and the flash goes off.

By-the-by, I e-mailed you about the MiG-15 but it's your office.

Regards

Ross

July 11th, 2011, 1:00 am #4

Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Those AB figures look great in their positions. I always forget the true size of the armor of that early period. Little fixin' and they'll all come together. Fix the Mig! Cool stuff. Tom

July 11th, 2011, 2:21 am #5

how come your modelling mat is so clean? Mine looks like a house-painter's drop sheet!
With all this restoration work going on by the likes of your good self and Simon and others we should suggest a new AGB theme based on resuscitated old models!
A Restoration Group Build - I like that, Graham. And you're right - there have been a few here already, come to think of it. Heaven knows I have more than a few busted up models in the "Box Of Modelling Purgatory"! As for that 'clean' mat - well, ahem...that's not so much a testament to my cleanliness as my habit of spilling paint thinner all over the place! Yeesh.
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

July 11th, 2011, 2:26 am #6

with an old tin of Hmbrol Matt. ( I mean, what was I thinking . .?!)
Nice green on those targets, too. Gave me in inspiration in re: green tints.
Funny how nothing comes to mind, while looking at your own bench. But seeing someone else's build and the flash goes off.

By-the-by, I e-mailed you about the MiG-15 but it's your office.

Regards

Ross
The same thing happens to me - I run smack into the wall of modelling indifference only to see some cool build here and say: "Aha!" Oh - I forgot I can check my work emails from home and I saw your very generous offer. Wow - I would be very pleased indeed to get a replacement canopy for the Mig 17. I'll email you with my mailing address when I get to work tomorrow! Thanks!!!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

July 11th, 2011, 2:30 am #7

Those AB figures look great in their positions. I always forget the true size of the armor of that early period. Little fixin' and they'll all come together. Fix the Mig! Cool stuff. Tom
You're absolutely right - those AB figures really put the machines in perspective. If you don't have some (assuming you build small scale armour) you should definitely pick some up. Or let me know what you need - I've got plenty of them to spare! "Fix the Mig": - I will! Stay tuned!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

July 11th, 2011, 9:56 am #8

A Restoration Group Build - I like that, Graham. And you're right - there have been a few here already, come to think of it. Heaven knows I have more than a few busted up models in the "Box Of Modelling Purgatory"! As for that 'clean' mat - well, ahem...that's not so much a testament to my cleanliness as my habit of spilling paint thinner all over the place! Yeesh.
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

....My 'old' unloved builds get given to my mates lads,to be played with to destruction and then scrapped,in much the same manner as 1st world countries sell their old kit to 3rd world countries... ...So that'd be a GB I couldn't join in on.Mind you,at the last count,there were enough GB proposals to last until the next century!

Really liking the armour,it always looks good in tiny... and if you want any pointers on painting the figures (they're AB,so you shouldn't - they almost paint themselves)I'll gladly help.

Woz

July 11th, 2011, 5:19 pm #9

Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

You'll get those tanks done no problem. I really like the figures. Add a lot of life.

Keep posting and keep making time!

July 11th, 2011, 5:50 pm #10

....My 'old' unloved builds get given to my mates lads,to be played with to destruction and then scrapped,in much the same manner as 1st world countries sell their old kit to 3rd world countries... ...So that'd be a GB I couldn't join in on.Mind you,at the last count,there were enough GB proposals to last until the next century!

Really liking the armour,it always looks good in tiny... and if you want any pointers on painting the figures (they're AB,so you shouldn't - they almost paint themselves)I'll gladly help.

Woz
Fondly I remember me younger days when models were meant to be built and 'played with' to destruction all in one day! Fun constructing and even more fun "de-structing!" Okay, figures: I've followed your paint tutorials closely. Here's a question, though: should these white metal figures be primed, and if so, with what?
Best...Ted...
PS - Hey! Have you read the Kanal Kampf yarn at the link below? You may find some familiar characters!

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2;

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds: