Matchbox Hs 126 Basic Cockpit Detailing

Matchbox Hs 126 Basic Cockpit Detailing

August 14th, 2011, 1:08 pm #1

All of the kit interior was binned, except the floor. However, this is level for both the pilot and observer where as the observer position should be much lower - so he can stand. Leaving the floor issue aside, a .020 card bulkhead was added between the two crew positions.Using the reference material, the pilots floor is open in a triangular shape and has ribbed surface on the sides. Card base was added to the sides, and than the section that needs to be cut away was drilled around the perimeter and than sawed through and removed.The forward floor was also extended with card and a new forward bulkhead with cutouts for the foot pedals was added.The aft position had thin strips glued to the floor to act as the ribbing and two discs were punched and glued to the port side.This will be the base for the arm that supports the observers seat.

A card aft bulkhead was added to close off the aft fuselage, though it should be open as the camera bay is located there.A section of brass tubing was cut, bent, and than the upper arm was flattened. A frame to hold the pilots seat was added with strips and a forward bulkhead was added.A strut beam was added to the open floor that than had a disc added to hold the spade-type control arm.

With the floor section done to the basic stage, the fuselage walls were next. The two details requiring the most work were the side consoles in the pilots section. These have a unique shape and were done using thick layered card that was than filed and sanded to shape.Basic detail was framing to the observers bay.

Since I will be at home for a short period of time before the next trip, I plan to have the cockpit fully detailed and ready for paint by Wednesday.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic

Vic
Vic

August 14th, 2011, 1:13 pm #2

My favourite photo from my last two trips. A view of Tower Mountain from the upper part of Boulder Pass, just across from Lake Louise.

Cheers, Vic

August 14th, 2011, 6:05 pm #3

All of the kit interior was binned, except the floor. However, this is level for both the pilot and observer where as the observer position should be much lower - so he can stand. Leaving the floor issue aside, a .020 card bulkhead was added between the two crew positions.Using the reference material, the pilots floor is open in a triangular shape and has ribbed surface on the sides. Card base was added to the sides, and than the section that needs to be cut away was drilled around the perimeter and than sawed through and removed.The forward floor was also extended with card and a new forward bulkhead with cutouts for the foot pedals was added.The aft position had thin strips glued to the floor to act as the ribbing and two discs were punched and glued to the port side.This will be the base for the arm that supports the observers seat.

A card aft bulkhead was added to close off the aft fuselage, though it should be open as the camera bay is located there.A section of brass tubing was cut, bent, and than the upper arm was flattened. A frame to hold the pilots seat was added with strips and a forward bulkhead was added.A strut beam was added to the open floor that than had a disc added to hold the spade-type control arm.

With the floor section done to the basic stage, the fuselage walls were next. The two details requiring the most work were the side consoles in the pilots section. These have a unique shape and were done using thick layered card that was than filed and sanded to shape.Basic detail was framing to the observers bay.

Since I will be at home for a short period of time before the next trip, I plan to have the cockpit fully detailed and ready for paint by Wednesday.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic
Seeing the quality of your work I have always wondered why you have never used work like this as master for some resin copies? I'm sure there is a market for detail sets for "classical" kits.

I'm looking forward to your progress on this one and am taking notes: I have the Airfix version in the stash.

August 14th, 2011, 7:38 pm #4

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic
work on my Shark !! . . .

Gorgeous, Vic !

Cheers . . .John

August 15th, 2011, 3:34 pm #5

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic
While detailing the cockpit is coming along well, I thought I take a little break and detail the upper fuselage section in front of the cockpit. This will be built as the Greek 126K that was not only armed with FN Browning MG in lieu of German weapons, it also has two fuselage guns versus the normal one. Matchbox did not offer the single gun opening to starboard which was great, as nothing was required to be filled in. I could only find one photograph that showed the approximate location for the port opening, so this was used as the guide.

The locations were marked with tape and after drilling the opening, a miniature reamer/broach was used to create the shallow valley. The interior was framed in with card so no see-through was possible. The opening are hinged along the tops and open as doors so after engraving the outline and drilling some fastener locations, stretch sprue was glued along the upper panel lines. After curing, this was lightly sanded and a No 11 blade was used to make the hinge impression.Next, two short lengths of brass tubing were cut and than some stretched sprue was added to represent the barrel.

I assumed there must be two bays further aft so that the guns receivers could be serviced and ammunition could be loaded. Two rectangular shapes were cut from Plumbers Tape, burnished into location, and than fastener locations pressed in with a sharp needle point.

An amazing amount of text to describe so little work...

I would like to give Robert Kennedy a big shout out for supplying a great comparison article of the three 1/72 scale Hs 126 kits. Matchbox was the last kit to hit the market and is the weak sister...

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic

August 16th, 2011, 11:15 pm #6

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic
The ol' switcharoo, yea?

You know if you do a Heller kit that means you're bilingual.

Greg in OK

August 17th, 2011, 5:39 pm #7

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic
s