Mad About Migs Pt.6

Mad About Migs Pt.6

November 16th, 2011, 7:54 pm #1

Hiya Fellas - apologies for the tardy posts. Here's a quicky update to let you know the Migs are still in the game! Now that the vac canopy on the Mig17 has been cut apart, some detail is needed under there. My Squadron/Signal reference books are full of great exterior and cockpit shots, but a little thin on photos of the area behind the canopy. I traced out an outline of the canopy on some ten-thou sheet, and whittled away from there:

Now on to the Mig17 drop tanks. I couldn't find the original Hasagawa tanks. These are from a KP Mig15, with some bits of sheet carefully fitted for the little stabilizer fins on the tanks:

And the KP Mig19 wing tanks received the same treatment:

Okay, back to the Mig17 and its missiles. The kit missiles are a little different from the Alkali missiles shown in the Squadron book, so they'll need some work:

Turning to the Hasagawa kit missile rails, I cleaned 'em up and test-fitted, only to discover they were not a good fit:

I checked the Squadron book and - Carumba! The kit rails are shorter and smaller than what's shown in the book:

Krapinski! The Factory Commissar was not pleased at this latest delay in production and suspected sabotage! Only when the Workers Committee pointed out it was due to the Commissar's own faulty research and project management did he finally calm down. After an extra ration of Revolutionary Spirit (vodka) for the work crew (and a healthy dose for himself), the Commissar inspired the team to extra efforts to produce a new set of missile rails:

They still need some finishing work, but they're better than the originals. The production line is rolling again!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

November 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm #2

And good to see you back Ted - I was wondering what happened to your MiGs

It shows you are putting some good TLC into this project, I never would have thought to include a rear decking inside the canopy - neat touch !

And I think "a little different" from the Alkali missiles is an understatement - there is some (boring?) work to do here - but I'm 100% sure it will pay off in the end - these are neat missiles and will look good on the model

Hope to see more progress soon Ted

(PS, my account is currently blocked at my hosting services, so I'm without pics until this is settled - hope it doesn't take more then a day)

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI
1/72 - Frog/Novo - Curtiss Tomahawk : Part I - Part II
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

November 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm #3

Hiya Fellas - apologies for the tardy posts. Here's a quicky update to let you know the Migs are still in the game! Now that the vac canopy on the Mig17 has been cut apart, some detail is needed under there. My Squadron/Signal reference books are full of great exterior and cockpit shots, but a little thin on photos of the area behind the canopy. I traced out an outline of the canopy on some ten-thou sheet, and whittled away from there:

Now on to the Mig17 drop tanks. I couldn't find the original Hasagawa tanks. These are from a KP Mig15, with some bits of sheet carefully fitted for the little stabilizer fins on the tanks:

Okay, back to the Mig17 and its missiles. The kit missiles are a little different from the Alkali missiles shown in the Squadron book, so they'll need some work:

Turning to the Hasagawa kit missile rails, I cleaned 'em up and test-fitted, only to discover they were not a good fit:

I checked the Squadron book and - Carumba! The kit rails are shorter and smaller than what's shown in the book:

Krapinski! The Factory Commissar was not pleased at this latest delay in production and suspected sabotage! Only when the Workers Committee pointed out it was due to the Commissar's own faulty research and project management did he finally calm down. After an extra ration of Revolutionary Spirit (vodka) for the work crew (and a healthy dose for himself), the Commissar inspired the team to extra efforts to produce a new set of missile rails:

They still need some finishing work, but they're better than the originals. The production line is rolling again!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
...both your Fresco and Farmer are headed for the Winner's circle.
BRAVO!
--Bill

November 16th, 2011, 9:46 pm #4

[...it's Bill Retoff here, admiring your work...]

November 16th, 2011, 11:45 pm #5

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Ted, That is wonderful work you have there! You may just inspire me to get out of my WWI shell and build early jet aircraft as well! Thanks for the post!

November 17th, 2011, 1:36 am #6

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Nice to see an update.

Greg in CCCP

November 17th, 2011, 10:28 am #7

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

...and I see details here!
Massimo LaCivita

November 17th, 2011, 2:13 pm #8

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Looks like we are in for a couple of great builds. Ted, I am very curious of what you plan to do to improve the kit missiles. We all wait with baited breath!

Cheers, Vic

November 17th, 2011, 8:10 pm #9

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Fine detailsTed!

November 17th, 2011, 10:13 pm #10

And good to see you back Ted - I was wondering what happened to your MiGs

It shows you are putting some good TLC into this project, I never would have thought to include a rear decking inside the canopy - neat touch !

And I think "a little different" from the Alkali missiles is an understatement - there is some (boring?) work to do here - but I'm 100% sure it will pay off in the end - these are neat missiles and will look good on the model

Hope to see more progress soon Ted

(PS, my account is currently blocked at my hosting services, so I'm without pics until this is settled - hope it doesn't take more then a day)

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI
1/72 - Frog/Novo - Curtiss Tomahawk : Part I - Part II
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
I sincerely hope to see more progress soon too, William! Maybe I'll put off shovelling snow and bottling some elderberry wine this weekend to work on the Migs instead!
Best...Ted...
PS - I see your pics are back!

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds: