Mad About Migs Pt.5

Mad About Migs Pt.5

October 21st, 2011, 2:51 am #1

Okay, I went to a clinic the other day and said "Look, Doc, I got this serious case of modelus interruptus, what can you do for me?" He gave me a shot. (Ouch - Dang!) I'm better now. Time for an update on the painfully slow Mig builds, starting with the Kopro Mig19. Got some paint on the landing gear, and did some 'heavy lifting' on the fuselage sanding and filling:

There was something that bothered me about that fuselage hump behind the canopy on the MiG19, when I compared it to my reference photos. I finally figured out it was too big forward, and cut a piece of it away to scale it back a bit:

The wing cannon ports were poorly molded and thin, especially after I sanded them to shape. I tried beefing them up with some scraps of sprue:

Hmmm. Not such a great idea, as it turned out - they still required a lot of puttying and sanding to get them right - then I'd still have to drill holes into the mess to fit the cannon barrels. I decided to hack them off and replace them with bits of 1/8 inch plastic rod:

After much sanding and scraping, they actually didn't look too bad after the wings were attached:

I had a heck of a time fairing in the Pavla resin cockpit piece, which includes the upper part of the instrument panel. There were gaping holes that needed to be filled with putty, but it was managed in the end. Seen here with a scratchbuilt head-up display and smothered with some black paint:

A coat of Tamiya rattle can Grey Primer brings us to our journey's rest so far on the Mig19:

Some bits of plastic were added to the Mig19 and Mig17 landing gears doors to aid in fitting later:

Okay, Minsk factory crew, where's that Mig17 hiding?" Ah - there she is, at the back of the factory floor! Our Fresco E has also had some landing gear paint work done:

Turning our attention to the canopy, the excellent vac form replacement provided by Ross MacArthur has been cut apart and the front piece fitted - a good fit it is, too!:

The Central Committee of Aircraft Production wishes to thank the mighty workers of the Minsk Mig Factory in their herculean efforts to complete these two aircraft for the glory of the Motherland and for the satisfaction of Comrade Commissar Prestonski!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

October 21st, 2011, 4:05 am #2

Haha super work Ted, you are almost tempting me to dig out my KP Migs... but I must get a shot from the Doc for that modelling condition... though mine is mojous missingous.

Liking these Ted, so close to paint..

Cheers
Jim

October 21st, 2011, 1:53 pm #3

Okay, I went to a clinic the other day and said "Look, Doc, I got this serious case of modelus interruptus, what can you do for me?" He gave me a shot. (Ouch - Dang!) I'm better now. Time for an update on the painfully slow Mig builds, starting with the Kopro Mig19. Got some paint on the landing gear, and did some 'heavy lifting' on the fuselage sanding and filling:

There was something that bothered me about that fuselage hump behind the canopy on the MiG19, when I compared it to my reference photos. I finally figured out it was too big forward, and cut a piece of it away to scale it back a bit:

The wing cannon ports were poorly molded and thin, especially after I sanded them to shape. I tried beefing them up with some scraps of sprue:

Hmmm. Not such a great idea, as it turned out - they still required a lot of puttying and sanding to get them right - then I'd still have to drill holes into the mess to fit the cannon barrels. I decided to hack them off and replace them with bits of 1/8 inch plastic rod:

After much sanding and scraping, they actually didn't look too bad after the wings were attached:

I had a heck of a time fairing in the Pavla resin cockpit piece, which includes the upper part of the instrument panel. There were gaping holes that needed to be filled with putty, but it was managed in the end. Seen here with a scratchbuilt head-up display and smothered with some black paint:

A coat of Tamiya rattle can Grey Primer brings us to our journey's rest so far on the Mig19:

Some bits of plastic were added to the Mig19 and Mig17 landing gears doors to aid in fitting later:

Okay, Minsk factory crew, where's that Mig17 hiding?" Ah - there she is, at the back of the factory floor! Our Fresco E has also had some landing gear paint work done:

Turning our attention to the canopy, the excellent vac form replacement provided by Ross MacArthur has been cut apart and the front piece fitted - a good fit it is, too!:

The Central Committee of Aircraft Production wishes to thank the mighty workers of the Minsk Mig Factory in their herculean efforts to complete these two aircraft for the glory of the Motherland and for the satisfaction of Comrade Commissar Prestonski!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
Wow, nice work Ted! All that effort has really paid off at the end. Smooth finish... cant wait to see the paint!

October 21st, 2011, 5:48 pm #4

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

The People's Red October Factories are working full steam! Spaziba, Tovarish Commissar!
Massimo LaCivita

October 22nd, 2011, 12:05 am #5

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Ha, betcha didn't realize I know Russian! Lovely work as usual; I'm glad the shot worked.

Stuart

October 22nd, 2011, 12:16 am #6

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Keep on going Comrade!

Za VVS!

Greg back in the USSR

October 22nd, 2011, 2:04 pm #7

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Nice collection of oddball jets...

Regards,
Adrian

October 22nd, 2011, 3:33 pm #8

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

...who prescribed the right medication, perhaps-
take two plastic kits and call me in the morning?

Nice to see you back at the bench on these builds Ted.
The office instruments look nice as does the "easy chair"
in the 17, that canopy looks like a "must have" item.
The modifications to the airframe on 19 look very good
and look to be well worth the effort. Having cut back
the area behind the canopy has me thinking you'll need
a new sliding portion. If that so then is there one
available or will you have to make your own?

October 24th, 2011, 7:51 am #9

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

And it's a luck there's no shortage of green putty!!
Great work Ted.