Mad About Migs Pt.4

Mad About Migs Pt.4

September 23rd, 2011, 6:52 pm #1

Hiya fellas, a quick Friday update on the Mig17 and Mig19 builds before family stuff swallows me up for the weekend. Work on the KP Mig19 continues with the lower landing gears which are..uh..rather Rusaian like in their robustness and thickness!

After cleanup, some actuating struts were scratched out of plastic rod:

The tire hubs received some more bits of plastic rods to simulate the wheel hubs, with some electric-motor armature wire for the brake lines:

Both Mig seats received some detail painting, a black oil wash and more armature wire for the ejection seat handle on the headrest:

And the Pavla resin instrument panel got the light-grey-drybrushing-on-top-of-flat-black paint treatment, with some drops of Micro Clear for the instrument faces:

Right then. On to the Mig17! The scratch-built cockpit was finally muscled into place with hammered-flat pieces of fishing weights jammed in as well:

And now that gaping hole in the upper nose area needs some serious filling work. The white shim of plastic is making sure the damaged fuselage lines up properly with the nose piece:

The heaving sanding and shaping required to smooth everything in has gained me new respect for guys who work in autobody shops!:

Aw Dang - I forgot to glue down the upper piece of the nosewheel well before I reinstalled the nose piece, which left a noticeable gap:

Not to worry - I laid in some white glue along the gap and let it dry overnight, then slathered on a good thick coat of paint. Voila!

A quick look at the original landing gears on the Mig17 shows there's some work ahead to make them presentable:

Man, I sure like the rakish look of the 17. It would appear the Mig shot away the starboard jet pod from the B-36! Happy modelling y'all!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

September 23rd, 2011, 9:34 pm #2

Nifty work on that there MiG Ted! I'm liking it! I don't think that Peacemaker has a chance.

September 23rd, 2011, 10:02 pm #3

Hiya fellas, a quick Friday update on the Mig17 and Mig19 builds before family stuff swallows me up for the weekend. Work on the KP Mig19 continues with the lower landing gears which are..uh..rather Rusaian like in their robustness and thickness!

The tire hubs received some more bits of plastic rods to simulate the wheel hubs, with some electric-motor armature wire for the brake lines:

Both Mig seats received some detail painting, a black oil wash and more armature wire for the ejection seat handle on the headrest:

And the Pavla resin instrument panel got the light-grey-drybrushing-on-top-of-flat-black paint treatment, with some drops of Micro Clear for the instrument faces:

Right then. On to the Mig17! The scratch-built cockpit was finally muscled into place with hammered-flat pieces of fishing weights jammed in as well:

And now that gaping hole in the upper nose area needs some serious filling work. The white shim of plastic is making sure the damaged fuselage lines up properly with the nose piece:

The heaving sanding and shaping required to smooth everything in has gained me new respect for guys who work in autobody shops!:

Aw Dang - I forgot to glue down the upper piece of the nosewheel well before I reinstalled the nose piece, which left a noticeable gap:

Not to worry - I laid in some white glue along the gap and let it dry overnight, then slathered on a good thick coat of paint. Voila!

A quick look at the original landing gears on the Mig17 shows there's some work ahead to make them presentable:

Man, I sure like the rakish look of the 17. It would appear the Mig shot away the starboard jet pod from the B-36! Happy modelling y'all!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
...really amazing how you're detailing both of these old and loved Russian jet kits. BRAVO!
--Bill

September 23rd, 2011, 11:54 pm #4

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Hung over my bed for years when I was kid. Great to see it again.
Cool looking Migs and great work on the LG!!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

September 24th, 2011, 12:35 am #5

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Your turning that kit into something real nice!

Greg in CCCP

Za VVS!

September 24th, 2011, 1:19 am #6

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

The MiG looks great, but man, I'm impressed by the B-36 too!

Stuart

September 24th, 2011, 3:11 am #7

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

these are looking real special Ted.

Lovely work.

Cheers
Jim

September 24th, 2011, 4:43 am #8

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

1/24th Spitfire, Matilda tanks, 1/72 MiG17 - is there no end to your skills? Great work - what scheme is this little jobbie going to be in?

September 24th, 2011, 6:44 pm #9

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Great work Ted - smashing, bending, sanding, cursing, filling... upgrading the old plastic to art - ah the best joy plastic can give us !

Amazing work on the bang seats, these MiGs will be the beauties of the shelves, inspiring work on the undercarriage of the 19. I did today the undercarriage of my UTI and my only ambition was to get it done. My UTI pilots have to manage without breaklines, so they stick around and won't go far I hope, though I did take the trouble to mix black/grey paint for the tires... though it looks too light now

Green putty... is this environmental friendly stuff ? Looks good anyways, and big trouble in town for your B-36, I think some stars 'n bars wings are needed to keep harmony around the modelling table !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1)
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part IV
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

September 24th, 2011, 6:52 pm #10

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

That just super work there Ted. Great looking gear legs, pit and seats too!Looks like your are 'almost' having too much fun!

Hope to be in with an early Ruski in a week or two...

Cheers, Vic