Mad About Migs Pt.3

Mad About Migs Pt.3

September 13th, 2011, 12:24 am #1

Ha! The modelling gods have smiled upon me of late and granted me respite from the demands of work, family and friends. (Lousy weather and the line: "I'm tied up with an important project" works wonders with buying me much-needed modelling time.) So - back to the MiGs! Last post, we were moving on to the task of scratching together a cockpit for the Hack-cough-wheez-agawa MiG-17. I used a photo I found on the net as a 'scratch guide':

Well-armed with said guide, I hacked, slashed, bent and glued various and sundry bits and bobs of plastic sheet and sprue into a reasonable representation of one Soviet-style, Made-In-Minsk-On-A-Monday jet cockpit:

The factory workers did me proud, actually. On the far left is the original cockpit, and on the right the Pavla MiG-19 resin tub:

Eager to begin painting, I dashed off to the local hobby shop to buy some of that blueish-grey Russian cockpit paint. No dice - they didn't have the animal. Looking through the paint stash, I found a one-third full bottle of MM Duck Egg Blue. I grabbed a bottle of MM Schwarzgrau and started adding drops:

At 100 drops, I stopped. The paint was shaken (not stirred) and applied with gusto. It came out looking pretty good to this Mark 1 eyeball, and detail painting began:

Test-fitting the cockpit bits shows the factory crew is on the right track, and that repaired inner wing fence to starboard looks the part:

Uh oh - here's a possible problem with the construction blueprints. For the nose it says "Put in a weight or something." Or something? Bwaaa Haaa! How about a refrigerator, boys?! Sheesh.

Okay, on to the KP MiG-19. The exhaust burners were thinned down, and a semblance of a turbofan-thingy cobbled together out of plastic card and painted. Gotta have something to look at up that..er..rear-end:

The MiG-19 cockpit tub and seat received the same home-made Russian cockpit colouring:

A start has been made on parts cleanup, with the nose gear featuring the humble beginnings of some added detail, including a clear bit for the landing light:

Ah yes - the Minsk factory floor is quiet now. The production day is done, the workers have trickled home to their wives, children, supper and an evening's entertainment watching ballet on State Television:

More later, Comrade-ski's. May your modelling knives stay sharp and your glue stay sticky!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

September 13th, 2011, 12:35 am #2

Comrade Ted, you are showing how the workers spirit over comes all! Extra turnips for you !

Smashing scratching building on the tub there Ted, and great painting. Is the toothpick the painting stick in this case?

Long live model workers everywhere.

Cheers
Jim

September 13th, 2011, 1:21 am #3

Ha! The modelling gods have smiled upon me of late and granted me respite from the demands of work, family and friends. (Lousy weather and the line: "I'm tied up with an important project" works wonders with buying me much-needed modelling time.) So - back to the MiGs! Last post, we were moving on to the task of scratching together a cockpit for the Hack-cough-wheez-agawa MiG-17. I used a photo I found on the net as a 'scratch guide':

Well-armed with said guide, I hacked, slashed, bent and glued various and sundry bits and bobs of plastic sheet and sprue into a reasonable representation of one Soviet-style, Made-In-Minsk-On-A-Monday jet cockpit:

The factory workers did me proud, actually. On the far left is the original cockpit, and on the right the Pavla MiG-19 resin tub:

Eager to begin painting, I dashed off to the local hobby shop to buy some of that blueish-grey Russian cockpit paint. No dice - they didn't have the animal. Looking through the paint stash, I found a one-third full bottle of MM Duck Egg Blue. I grabbed a bottle of MM Schwarzgrau and started adding drops:

At 100 drops, I stopped. The paint was shaken (not stirred) and applied with gusto. It came out looking pretty good to this Mark 1 eyeball, and detail painting began:

Test-fitting the cockpit bits shows the factory crew is on the right track, and that repaired inner wing fence to starboard looks the part:

Uh oh - here's a possible problem with the construction blueprints. For the nose it says "Put in a weight or something." Or something? Bwaaa Haaa! How about a refrigerator, boys?! Sheesh.

Okay, on to the KP MiG-19. The exhaust burners were thinned down, and a semblance of a turbofan-thingy cobbled together out of plastic card and painted. Gotta have something to look at up that..er..rear-end:

The MiG-19 cockpit tub and seat received the same home-made Russian cockpit colouring:

A start has been made on parts cleanup, with the nose gear featuring the humble beginnings of some added detail, including a clear bit for the landing light:

Ah yes - the Minsk factory floor is quiet now. The production day is done, the workers have trickled home to their wives, children, supper and an evening's entertainment watching ballet on State Television:

More later, Comrade-ski's. May your modelling knives stay sharp and your glue stay sticky!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
Love the cockpits and other details--your work is inspirational. (For the most part I tend just to slap things together OOB these days--I gotta catch your bug.)

Y'know, when we came to China in 1988 people here still addressed each other as 'Comrade'. It was kinda fun using that for real. Now people would laugh incredulously if you called them 'Comrade.

Stuart

September 13th, 2011, 1:21 am #4

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

You built a fantastic cockpit, good find in the photo on the other cockpit too.

Greg in OK

September 13th, 2011, 6:13 am #5

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

"Put in weight or something..." Ha!

September 13th, 2011, 4:20 pm #6

Comrade Ted, you are showing how the workers spirit over comes all! Extra turnips for you !

Smashing scratching building on the tub there Ted, and great painting. Is the toothpick the painting stick in this case?

Long live model workers everywhere.

Cheers
Jim
Extra turnips - yippee! Vee eat goot tonight! Yes on the toothpick - BEST free modelling tool ever!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

September 13th, 2011, 4:26 pm #7

Love the cockpits and other details--your work is inspirational. (For the most part I tend just to slap things together OOB these days--I gotta catch your bug.)

Y'know, when we came to China in 1988 people here still addressed each other as 'Comrade'. It was kinda fun using that for real. Now people would laugh incredulously if you called them 'Comrade.

Stuart
...about building OOB, Stuart. I look at your builds and think maybe I should spent less time succumbing to AMS! Out of the box is good - especially the way you do it, man! I forgot you're in China - Shanghai area, correct? A visit there is definitely on my bucket list!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

September 13th, 2011, 4:51 pm #10

Best...Ted...

Current Build:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Well done details there, Ted...pick and shovel modeling at its best. Good work with the tooth picks too. The Mig(s) will look great soon!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA