Mad About Migs Pt.2

Mad About Migs Pt.2

August 29th, 2011, 2:45 am #1

I managed to get in some work on the Migs this weekend, but trust me, it wasn't easy! I finished up sanding away all the raised detail on the KP Mig19. The Pavla resin cockpit set arrived in the mail a few weeks ago and I'm now going through the process of sanding and fitting the cockpit tub:

The Pavla cockpit set comes with a seat; the Mig19 seat is on the right in the photo. I also picked up a Pavla Mig17 seat, which is on the left:

Now, the trouble with the Mig17 seat is that the headrest is for the early Fresco A version (and some others). I need the later headrest style for my Fresco E, which looks like what's on the Mig19 seat. I scratched together a replacement headrest for the Mig17 Pavla seat out of card stock and bits from the spares box, keeping the resin headrest cushion. The overall shape is okay, but it's a wee tiny bit too big to my eye:

Turning back to the Mig17 fuselage. The nose suffered a lot of damage in The Great Move Disaster Of '92, and needs some serious attention. I hacked away the shallow, molded in nose gear well and lined it with plastic sheet. It needs a bulge to accommodate the nose wheel, and the kit wheel served as a master to smash-mold the required piece:

Delicate sheet styrene bending is needed to restore the lines of the nose wheel well:

Great gobs of filler will be utilized to smooth in the gaps of missing plastic in the nose area, once the fuselage is closed up. The aft piece of styrene in the wheel well looks askew in the photo, but it'll be fine when the halves are glued:

The Mig17 needs a scratch-built cockpit to go with that nice little Pavla resin seat - that's the next job!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

August 29th, 2011, 8:40 am #2

Those seats certainly look spiffy.

Stuart

August 29th, 2011, 9:07 pm #4

I managed to get in some work on the Migs this weekend, but trust me, it wasn't easy! I finished up sanding away all the raised detail on the KP Mig19. The Pavla resin cockpit set arrived in the mail a few weeks ago and I'm now going through the process of sanding and fitting the cockpit tub:

The Pavla cockpit set comes with a seat; the Mig19 seat is on the right in the photo. I also picked up a Pavla Mig17 seat, which is on the left:

Now, the trouble with the Mig17 seat is that the headrest is for the early Fresco A version (and some others). I need the later headrest style for my Fresco E, which looks like what's on the Mig19 seat. I scratched together a replacement headrest for the Mig17 Pavla seat out of card stock and bits from the spares box, keeping the resin headrest cushion. The overall shape is okay, but it's a wee tiny bit too big to my eye:

Turning back to the Mig17 fuselage. The nose suffered a lot of damage in The Great Move Disaster Of '92, and needs some serious attention. I hacked away the shallow, molded in nose gear well and lined it with plastic sheet. It needs a bulge to accommodate the nose wheel, and the kit wheel served as a master to smash-mold the required piece:

Delicate sheet styrene bending is needed to restore the lines of the nose wheel well:

Great gobs of filler will be utilized to smooth in the gaps of missing plastic in the nose area, once the fuselage is closed up. The aft piece of styrene in the wheel well looks askew in the photo, but it'll be fine when the halves are glued:

The Mig17 needs a scratch-built cockpit to go with that nice little Pavla resin seat - that's the next job!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
Pretty nice restoration work on the MiG17! Who needs new kits when you can restore old models, right?

Good luck with both builds!

August 30th, 2011, 2:29 am #5

Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Wonderful work Ted, those aftermarket seats look great.

Cheers
Jim

August 31st, 2011, 3:03 am #6

Pretty nice restoration work on the MiG17! Who needs new kits when you can restore old models, right?

Good luck with both builds!

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

August 31st, 2011, 1:58 pm #8

Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Nice fixski on the peoples pursuit craft. Looking good Ted.

Cheers, Vic

September 1st, 2011, 7:32 pm #10

Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:

Can't wait to see your scratch building on this one. Neat jets!