Mach 2 1/72 North American AJ-2 Savage.

Mach 2 1/72 North American AJ-2 Savage.

July 14th, 2012, 4:40 am #1

AJ-2 Savage from the Mach 2 kit built OOB. It represents an aircraft from the Naval Air Test Center(NATC). Most of the parts fit very well. Of course there was a lot of clean-up and trimming. I am really pleased with how this one built up.
The only real hassle was that the instructions stated that the one-piece nose-cone needed to be widened to fit the fuselage. Rather than mess up I trimmed back the male part of the assembled fuselage and centered and butt-jointed the nose-cone. The nose was about 1/64th" smaller all around. When the glue set, I gently filed and sanded things to match.

All that I added was some plastic tube and a wire pin to reinforce the nosewheel to the wheel-well roof join.

I brush-painted the entire aircraft with Humbrol Glossy Sea Blue, including free-handing the canopy frames. Decals were from the kit, Eagle Strike stars-and-bars, and NATC and numbers from the kit decals from a Martin Mauler.

When I started building models in the mid-1950s, Navy plane models were Glossy Sea Blue. To me they have way more class than the gull-gray and white colored ones.

Amatuer photography via i-Phone. Adios, Larry.

On the bench: AV USK Rogozarski IK-3, Toko Sopwith Salamander, FROG Miles Magister(Estonia) & Ju.88, & Airfix Fairey Firefly.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Last edited by CSMO on July 14th, 2012, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 14th, 2012, 9:00 am #2

Ahum... I'm glad you have this opinion about a Mach 2 kit - and proof to back it up - that's a lovely build Larry, looks more then decent to me

I have a few Mach 2 kits myself too - not yet build any of them - and no Savage, but maybe I should get one too, though I would prefer the Grey/White scheme - guess I grew up in this period

Looking forward to your experiences with the Aviation Usk IK-3 & RS Models recently released a Magister with Estonian decals

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

July 14th, 2012, 10:57 am #3

AJ-2 Savage from the Mach 2 kit built OOB. It represents an aircraft from the Naval Air Test Center(NATC). Most of the parts fit very well. Of course there was a lot of clean-up and trimming. I am really pleased with how this one built up.
The only real hassle was that the instructions stated that the one-piece nose-cone needed to be widened to fit the fuselage. Rather than mess up I trimmed back the male part of the assembled fuselage and centered and butt-jointed the nose-cone. The nose was about 1/64th" smaller all around. When the glue set, I gently filed and sanded things to match.

All that I added was some plastic tube and a wire pin to reinforce the nosewheel to the wheel-well roof join.

I brush-painted the entire aircraft with Humbrol Glossy Sea Blue, including free-handing the canopy frames. Decals were from the kit, Eagle Strike stars-and-bars, and NATC and numbers from the kit decals from a Martin Mauler.

When I started building models in the mid-1950s, Navy plane models were Glossy Sea Blue. To me they have way more class than the gull-gray and white colored ones.

On the bench: AV USK Rogozarski IK-3, Toko Sopwith Salamander, FROG Miles Magister(Estonia) & Ju.88, & Airfix Fairey Firefly.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Nice work Larry, I've always loved the dark blue Navy scheme.

July 14th, 2012, 2:45 pm #4

Beautiful job on the glossy blue--schmooooth! And kudos on making such a beauty out of a Mach 2 kit.

I vote with you on the blue Although it seems I'm a tad younger if you were already building in the '50s (I started building models in 1962), I nevertheless love the look of dark glossy blue planes from that time.

Stuart

Bill Ficner
Bill Ficner

July 14th, 2012, 11:02 pm #5

I stopped buying Mach2 kits after my C-123 disappointment, but that Savage always tempted me.
Must resist...

July 15th, 2012, 2:04 am #6

I gather the kit is supposed to be something of a bear but it would be hard to tell from this.

I agree about the gloss sea blue finish; that is what Navy planes are supposed to look like....

The 'Savage' is certainly one of the odder aircraft ever in service, and the inter-service politics behind it are a tale all to themselves' the Navy duking it out with a Army and Air Force over who would be the strategic nuclear arm, and getting fair odds in the early going.

July 15th, 2012, 10:09 pm #7

Ahum... I'm glad you have this opinion about a Mach 2 kit - and proof to back it up - that's a lovely build Larry, looks more then decent to me

I have a few Mach 2 kits myself too - not yet build any of them - and no Savage, but maybe I should get one too, though I would prefer the Grey/White scheme - guess I grew up in this period

Looking forward to your experiences with the Aviation Usk IK-3 & RS Models recently released a Magister with Estonian decals

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
What a perfect example of damning with faint praise. Most of the parts fit well - it's the ones that don't that you have to look out for! Cf "most of the bullets missed me"!

July 15th, 2012, 10:24 pm #8

Maybe I need to elaborate. The bottom of the rudder on one fuselage half was 3'32" too long. I merely trimmed to fit the other half. The wing-to-fuselage joint was perfect, no filler. Other than filing the fuselage to fit the nose-cone, as commented above, the only difficult area was the nacelle-to-wing joints. As molded they did not quite mate smoothly, as there were tight spots. Trimming little bits at a time yielded a glove-like fit. Fot the record, the only filler that I used was Micro Krystal-Klear to fill some tiny seams. Adios, Larry.

Last edited by CSMO on July 15th, 2012, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 15th, 2012, 10:58 pm #9

Larry, what a cool aircraft! I need to read up on this one. Very nice job! Tim

July 16th, 2012, 8:05 am #10

Maybe I need to elaborate. The bottom of the rudder on one fuselage half was 3'32" too long. I merely trimmed to fit the other half. The wing-to-fuselage joint was perfect, no filler. Other than filing the fuselage to fit the nose-cone, as commented above, the only difficult area was the nacelle-to-wing joints. As molded they did not quite mate smoothly, as there were tight spots. Trimming little bits at a time yielded a glove-like fit. Fot the record, the only filler that I used was Micro Krystal-Klear to fill some tiny seams. Adios, Larry.

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I wasn't having a go at you, far from it. It's just that, with Mach kits renowned for being difficult to build, I wondered if it was a magnificent understatement.

Great result, though. I have the Rareplane one somewhere.