MAC USERS! Decal printing help, please.

MAC USERS! Decal printing help, please.

May 28th, 2012, 7:18 pm #1

We have MACINTOSH computers. And I'm stumped.

* I created 1:72-scale MS 406 rudder stenciling in ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR.
* Then I opened the ILLUSTRATOR file at 600 dpi in PHOTOSHOP.
* I laser-printed the PHOTOSHOP file.
* And it printed to the correct size -- 2.5" x 0.875" -- on my laser printer.

*BUT* . . .

When I tried printing JPG, TIF and PSD versions *IN PREVIEW* on my wife's MACINTOSH. But *ALL PRINTED AT 320% OF THE ORIGINAL SIZE* -- i.e., fitting the output page width!

I tried changing every preference and setting I could find -- with identical, incorrectly sized "fit the page" results every time.

My wife has an HP Photosmart C4680 inkjet -- but does not have ILLUSTRATOR or PHOTOSHOP on her machine.

*HELP*, please. I just want to print my decal artwork to the correct size!

TIA!

David

e-mail: dlveres AT mac DOT com

May 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm #2

With the artwork at actual size on the art board. It should result in 1:1. At least that's how it works for me.

May 28th, 2012, 7:28 pm #3

*BUT* . . .

When I tried printing JPG, TIF and PSD versions *IN PREVIEW* on my wife's MACINTOSH. But *ALL PRINTED AT 320% OF THE ORIGINAL SIZE* -- i.e., fitting the output page width!

I tried changing every preference and setting I could find -- with identical, incorrectly sized "fit the page" results every time.

My wife has an HP Photosmart C4680 inkjet -- but does not have ILLUSTRATOR or PHOTOSHOP on her machine.

TIA!

David

Does her printer have a wireless connection that you can use to print from your computer?

May 28th, 2012, 7:31 pm #4

*BUT* . . .

TIA!

David

Add a rectangle surrounding the decal image that corresponds to something like 8x10. That will trick her printer into printing the decal to a smaller size to get the rectangle on the page. You'll have to cut and try to get the box the right size.

May 28th, 2012, 8:09 pm #5

*BUT* . . .

TIA!

David

on the machine that has Photoshop and Illustrator, and try that on the Inkjet printer. PDF should import the correct dimendions to the printer, which seems not to be happening when the file is being opened by a different software. Or just builld a really big MS 406
Last edited by Ferdico on May 28th, 2012, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 8:11 pm #6

*BUT* . . .

TIA!

David

...to 31.25

May 28th, 2012, 8:21 pm #7

Add a rectangle surrounding the decal image that corresponds to something like 8x10. That will trick her printer into printing the decal to a smaller size to get the rectangle on the page. You'll have to cut and try to get the box the right size.
In PREVIEW printing, the dialog box actually reads 97%. I I calculate that the output is close enough for 1:72 scale!

Thanks!

David

May 28th, 2012, 8:22 pm #8

on the machine that has Photoshop and Illustrator, and try that on the Inkjet printer. PDF should import the correct dimendions to the printer, which seems not to be happening when the file is being opened by a different software. Or just builld a really big MS 406
Thanks, anyway.

DLV

May 28th, 2012, 8:23 pm #9

...to 31.25

Thanks, anyway.

DLV

May 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm #10

*BUT* . . .

TIA!

David

There's no need for the extra step via Photoshop. Just print straight out of AI and it will come out the correct size.

I suspect your problem lies in your printer driver software (in fact, I guarantee it).