Mac / Aeroclub / Libramodels Bristol Scout builds

Mac / Aeroclub / Libramodels Bristol Scout builds

May 10th, 2011, 3:58 am #1

Having finished the interiors, I have closed the fusilages and started scratch building the exterior details. The Aeroclub kit was particularly void of most detail and required the most effort. I attempted to add stitching but had no extra as I used it all on my Breguet 14 builds. I tried to scratch it by adding evergreen strip and sanding it paper thin, then scribing stitches with an xacto blade. Not sure how this will turn out. Also I added stretched sprue to the turtledeck area and sanded it down to represent the formers on all three builds.

May 10th, 2011, 1:57 pm #2

I wish I had thought to drill a hole in the pipe leaving that inspection panel. I'm going to check to see if I can do it in situ.

You did something I did, but we both failed to mention it. We removed that big lip behind the cockpit. Obviously meant to accentuate the place where the fabric met the metal cockpit coaming, it is way too thick.

I'm impressed with your addition of the contol column wire fairing on the underside of the cockpit. I predict a challenging 1/72nd scale rigging effort.

Which reminds me of my pet peeve with British WW I aircraft -- Why did they run so much of their control rigging on the outside of the airframe?

Marc

May 10th, 2011, 7:55 pm #3

Mark, the air intake pipe is brass tube. I drilled the hole after gluing the access panel on. It came off while drilling and spun around a zillion miles an hour. Luckily it didnt come off the bit and go into orbit! The fairing for the control wires has a photo etch part included but I could not get it bent correctly and threw it in the trash. I think it is part #6 or 7. It is not included in the instructions. P.S. I dropped the Aeroclub model and cracked the seam open between the fusilage halves. It will need some repair!

May 10th, 2011, 9:15 pm #4

I wondered what that PE part was for. I searched the instructions twice and didn't see where it went. Now that I know what it is, I'll try to add it to my model.

Hopefully, I'll be able to fold it correctly using my Hold n Fold.

Marc