Lucky #7... F4U-5N VC-3 WIP

Lucky #7... F4U-5N VC-3 WIP

Don Fogal
Don Fogal

August 26th, 2009, 6:37 pm #1

Just a small coincidence, this is the 7th Corsair I've built, and the aircraft number is also #7. Well, yeah, you can say I like Corsairs... Alot!

I still have my -5P in the works, and a French Navy -7, then I'll be done with my Corsairs.

Any how, this is where she stands now, ready for decals. As you can see in the pictures, I'm using Eagle Strike Productions 'Corsairs Over Korea, Part I', I'm doing #7 'Kleenex'. I've seen too many Annie Mo's, Bordelon's plane, no disrespect to him, and I've already got a VMF-513 done, so I wanted to do something different. I'm still nt to sure about the black anti glare panel, I know there is alot of questions and debate about them, but hey, I've not done one with it yet, and I like the slight difference it makes.

As usual, any comments, questions or critiques are welcome.

August 27th, 2009, 1:45 am #2

What did you use for the Gloss Sea Blue?

I like the anti-glare panel, gives it a nice contrast.

August 27th, 2009, 2:43 am #3

Just a small coincidence, this is the 7th Corsair I've built, and the aircraft number is also #7. Well, yeah, you can say I like Corsairs... Alot!

I still have my -5P in the works, and a French Navy -7, then I'll be done with my Corsairs.

Any how, this is where she stands now, ready for decals. As you can see in the pictures, I'm using Eagle Strike Productions 'Corsairs Over Korea, Part I', I'm doing #7 'Kleenex'. I've seen too many Annie Mo's, Bordelon's plane, no disrespect to him, and I've already got a VMF-513 done, so I wanted to do something different. I'm still nt to sure about the black anti glare panel, I know there is alot of questions and debate about them, but hey, I've not done one with it yet, and I like the slight difference it makes.

Real good, I have this kit too and I got a question... Did your issue of the kit have some serious mold shift problems on the fuselage parts? If so, how did you manage the repair? Keep up the good work.

Happy Modeling
Gary

August 27th, 2009, 3:27 am #4

out of the hyperscale group in disgrace. His workbench looks entirely too neat!

Bill Shuey

August 27th, 2009, 2:32 pm #5

What did you use for the Gloss Sea Blue?

I like the anti-glare panel, gives it a nice contrast.
... I used Model Masters Gloss Dark Sea Blue.
It takes about 3 thin coats to get the finish I like. The first coat is 25/75% thinner to paint, next coat is about 50/50, then the last is about 25% paint, to 75% thinner.
The first coat is sprayed on thin, second, a little thicker, and the last one is sprayed on kind of wet, and let dry for about 24 hours.

I liked the anti glare panel too, same reason, the contrast.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

August 27th, 2009, 2:37 pm #6

Real good, I have this kit too and I got a question... Did your issue of the kit have some serious mold shift problems on the fuselage parts? If so, how did you manage the repair? Keep up the good work.

Happy Modeling
Gary
... Yes, from what I've read and heard, Hasegawa had a small problem with re-making the molds for the longer nose. All the -5 kits have that little step in the nose you noticed. I carefully sanded mine done, and used some Mr. Surfacer to finish it up.
The seam doesn't follow any real panel lines, so if your really a stickler, it has to go. One of my builds I didn't even notice it until after the model was completely built, but it still looks good.
I guess it's a choice of whether tho sand or not to sand...

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

August 27th, 2009, 2:39 pm #7

Bill Shuey
... It's left over from my military days...
All that organization, and neatness thing...

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

August 27th, 2009, 2:45 pm #8

Bill Shuey
I promised my wife as a condition of letting me have my hobby room, I'd keep it neat,clean, and tidy.

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

August 27th, 2009, 10:35 pm #9

... Yes, from what I've read and heard, Hasegawa had a small problem with re-making the molds for the longer nose. All the -5 kits have that little step in the nose you noticed. I carefully sanded mine done, and used some Mr. Surfacer to finish it up.
The seam doesn't follow any real panel lines, so if your really a stickler, it has to go. One of my builds I didn't even notice it until after the model was completely built, but it still looks good.
I guess it's a choice of whether tho sand or not to sand...

Semper Fi, Don
I was thinking that the I would build this one for the GB but my eyes always fall right on the odd spots. What makes it worse for me is I can't seem to find F4U D+S PT.2 for the line drawings just in case I wanted to make it right. So you see I lost steam on that project. You are doing great on your build and I may just do it and try not to focus on the bad spots... gonna be hard though!

Happy Modeling
Gary

August 28th, 2009, 3:01 pm #10

Looking forward to seeing more as work progresses.

Jim Sullivan