lottery

lottery

March 29th, 2012, 4:31 pm #1

just put a buck in the office pool for the $500 million lottery.

Odds are about the same as me finishing all the kits in my stash, but what the heck...

March 29th, 2012, 5:11 pm #2

buy a ticket!!
Good luck and if you do win, remember your friends!!!
Sincere regards,
Larry @ AUDI

March 29th, 2012, 5:14 pm #3

I'll be like Oprah -

"everyone at HS gets a 1/32 B-25!!!"

March 29th, 2012, 5:17 pm #4

Have a great day and don't let anyone ruin it for ya!
Larry @ AUDI

March 29th, 2012, 5:35 pm #5

buy a ticket!!
Good luck and if you do win, remember your friends!!!
Sincere regards,
Larry @ AUDI
If you take it to the extreme, you buy all the tickets; and then the organizers take their cut, and give you back the remainder of your own money, and you've definitely lost.

David

March 29th, 2012, 6:05 pm #6

Have a great day and don't let anyone ruin it for ya!
Larry @ AUDI
A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

March 30th, 2012, 1:11 am #7

If you take it to the extreme, you buy all the tickets; and then the organizers take their cut, and give you back the remainder of your own money, and you've definitely lost.

David
if you buy 2 tickets with 2 different sets of numbers, you have INCREASED your chance of winning. you now have 2 possible ways to win instead of one.

Taken to the extreme would actually be to buy every possible combination of numbers, and it would, in fact, guarantee you would win. The trick there is the pool of money has to already be greater than the amount those tickets would cost (which it often is). Despite this seeming like an obvious win, the issue here arises if someone else happens to also have the winning numbers. If you buy every possible number combination (which is possible), you are guaranteed to win. What you can't guarantee is that someone else (or multiple others) will ALSO have that same winning combination. Then if you have to split it among the winners, you could end up losing. But, in an ideal world, you could take it to the extreme, buy every combination,and actually guarantee a win.

it really is just simple math when it comes right down to it. if the cost of buying every single number combination is less than the total payoff (which is entirely possible), you could guarantee a win (and a profit if no one else has the same winning numbers).

of course, try taking that logic to a bank and get a multi-million dollar loan with which to 'invest' in the lottery...

March 30th, 2012, 1:50 am #8

When the Florida lottery was new and was 6 million dollars, it would cost $ 14,000,000 to guartanee the win. They have added more numbers now, so the odds are even higher.

The 14 million would be better off in the bank at whatever interest rate you could get. The odds of being struck by lightning were lower than you winning the money !!

Gambling overall is NOT designed for the player to win. Some few will win big, but most players lose ... it is as simple as that. Don't bet more than you can afford to lose. George
Last edited by blueangelmodeler on March 30th, 2012, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 30th, 2012, 2:05 am #9

if you buy 2 tickets with 2 different sets of numbers, you have INCREASED your chance of winning. you now have 2 possible ways to win instead of one.

Taken to the extreme would actually be to buy every possible combination of numbers, and it would, in fact, guarantee you would win. The trick there is the pool of money has to already be greater than the amount those tickets would cost (which it often is). Despite this seeming like an obvious win, the issue here arises if someone else happens to also have the winning numbers. If you buy every possible number combination (which is possible), you are guaranteed to win. What you can't guarantee is that someone else (or multiple others) will ALSO have that same winning combination. Then if you have to split it among the winners, you could end up losing. But, in an ideal world, you could take it to the extreme, buy every combination,and actually guarantee a win.

it really is just simple math when it comes right down to it. if the cost of buying every single number combination is less than the total payoff (which is entirely possible), you could guarantee a win (and a profit if no one else has the same winning numbers).

of course, try taking that logic to a bank and get a multi-million dollar loan with which to 'invest' in the lottery...

he is just saying that if you are the only player, or you have ALL the tickets, you cannot win back what you put in....

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

March 30th, 2012, 4:40 am #10

Quickie Mart said he sold me the winning ticket!

I have already ordered five new Caddys.

Oh yea I am living the big time.

I have to go now and take out the trash.

California Steve