Looking for some plastic " oval rod" shape...

Looking for some plastic " oval rod" shape...

June 13th, 2012, 6:29 pm #1

Hi all,

I'm looking for a oval rod that is kinda "squished" on the long ends to a more concise point. Think more aerodynamic in shape. Kinda like when you draw a simple "eye", sorta resembling the CBS logo. Similar to a biplane strut. Approximately 1/4" on the long width.
has anyone seen something like this?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers, Brent
Dysfunctional Model Savant
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just a earth-bound misfit,I"
Just another tongue tied twisted earth bound misfit.

June 13th, 2012, 6:38 pm #2

.... A while back I needed a similar shape, but couldn't find anything. So, like always, I figured out how to make my own... I was building my HH-53B, Super Jolly Green Giant. I needed to make the struts for the drop tank pylon.

I used some plastic square stok, and some same size half round stock. I glued the 1/2 round to the opposing sides of the square stock, and after it dried, a little sanding was all that was needed... I was in business!

Shortly there after, another Hyperscaler e-mailed me offering me bunches of the exact stuff I needed... His was for model biplane struts. Go figure... ;-0

Let me know if you need any help... Try searching my Jolly Green build on plastic pix, I think I posted some pics of the struts, and how I made them...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

June 13th, 2012, 6:55 pm #3

Hi all,

I'm looking for a oval rod that is kinda "squished" on the long ends to a more concise point. Think more aerodynamic in shape. Kinda like when you draw a simple "eye", sorta resembling the CBS logo. Similar to a biplane strut. Approximately 1/4" on the long width.

Cheers, Brent
Probably only available on ebay now. They were styrene, with an "eye" cross-section. Very handy for building models of biplanes or even as helicopter rotors. No, you can't have mine!

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

June 13th, 2012, 7:29 pm #4

Hi all,

Cheers, Brent
Don, I'll have to look for your build. I was thinking of sanding down a full round stock, but how to keep it consistent? I'm going to look into this idea of yours.

Mike, I usually stay away from e-bay, but this could be the ticket. If you should come across this site, forward to me. much appreciated!

Cheers, Brent

June 13th, 2012, 7:37 pm #5

Hi all,

Cheers, Brent
widest and narrowest? I have some plastic strut stock that is oval in shape.

Mike

June 13th, 2012, 7:40 pm #6

Probably only available on ebay now. They were styrene, with an "eye" cross-section. Very handy for building models of biplanes or even as helicopter rotors. No, you can't have mine!

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Contrail strut stock and the dies to make it was purchased by Aeroclub. John then redesigned it to be more correct and an oval shape instead of an airfoil/teardrop shape.

June 13th, 2012, 7:45 pm #7

.... A while back I needed a similar shape, but couldn't find anything. So, like always, I figured out how to make my own... I was building my HH-53B, Super Jolly Green Giant. I needed to make the struts for the drop tank pylon.

I used some plastic square stok, and some same size half round stock. I glued the 1/2 round to the opposing sides of the square stock, and after it dried, a little sanding was all that was needed... I was in business!

Shortly there after, another Hyperscaler e-mailed me offering me bunches of the exact stuff I needed... His was for model biplane struts. Go figure... ;-0

Let me know if you need any help... Try searching my Jolly Green build on plastic pix, I think I posted some pics of the struts, and how I made them...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Adapt and overcome! I'm going to try this, I just need it a little fatter on the slim side. Got a idea now thanks to you!

Cheers, Brent

June 13th, 2012, 7:50 pm #8

widest and narrowest? I have some plastic strut stock that is oval in shape.

Mike
Thanks for responding. It's going to be approximately 3/16" to 1/4" on the long side. And around 1/8" thickness. The exact dimensions are not critical, just need to be consistent. I'll need about 16" in total length.

Appreciate any help!

Cheers, Brent

June 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm #9

Hi all,

Cheers, Brent
Hey Brent, I found the articel... Look for 'Revell CH-53 conversion" or 'HH-53B", that should bring up the pics...

Chris Bucholtz offered me some 'airfoil' shape struts. He may still have some, But... you'll have to ask him nicely (In my best 'A Few Good Men' impression)

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

June 13th, 2012, 10:28 pm #10

And stay out of the white zones.