Looking for info on Combat models kits

Looking for info on Combat models kits

May 25th, 2012, 4:30 pm #1

Hey Guys, I'm looking for info on the Combat models kits sold by Roberts Models. Specifically the 1/32 Horton 229. Does anyone know how good the vacuforming is, accuracy of shape, ect.. and is the detail set that comes with it any good ?

Thanks for any help.

Vaughn

May 25th, 2012, 4:36 pm #2

I have had absolutly rotten kits from Combat, and others that were not so bad... The detail parts are generally not great, but I cannot talk to the Horten.

pat

May 25th, 2012, 4:38 pm #3

Hey Guys, I'm looking for info on the Combat models kits sold by Roberts Models. Specifically the 1/32 Horton 229. Does anyone know how good the vacuforming is, accuracy of shape, ect.. and is the detail set that comes with it any good ?

Thanks for any help.

Vaughn
are CRAP, MORE CRAP THAN THE HUMAN MIND CAN DEAL WITH..Nothing matches up, fuselage pieces are not the same length, wings do not match up. Interiors are non existant. Detail pieces are crap....Did I mention the kits are CRAP.
But, if you must have one..you will have to walk away from the model several times before it is finshed..or smash it with a hammer, spill plastic eating glue on it or burn it. I have a /32 Ki-45 that almost resembles a Ki-45.
Ken

May 25th, 2012, 5:10 pm #4

Merlin Models crap or Beechnut Models crap?

Last edited by TsarNick on May 25th, 2012, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72nd a/c, 35th armor, 144th space and anything else I might like...

May 25th, 2012, 5:39 pm #5

I have had absolutly rotten kits from Combat, and others that were not so bad... The detail parts are generally not great, but I cannot talk to the Horten.

pat
Combat Models kits are a crapshoot. I have two that measure out spot on and one that is so far off that it's not funny. The surface detail is faint to nonexistant. Most details will have to be scratchbuilt, although the newer kits come with a "detail set". Hav to give CM creditthou, they do subjects that the "mainstream" companies can't or won't touch.

Cheers, Terry

May 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm #6

Merlin Models crap or Beechnut Models crap?
Combat makes Merlin and Beechnut look like Tamiya

May 25th, 2012, 5:47 pm #7

Thanks for any help.

Vaughn
a

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

May 25th, 2012, 5:48 pm #8

Thanks for any help.

Vaughn
The very first question to ask is: is it more effort if you scratch-built the subject? From everything I have ever heard about Combat, the answer is almost always 'no.' By comparison, my direct experience with Mach 2 (the only one of these subpar companies I have inflicted on myself), the answer is (barely) 'yes.'

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother
Last edited by mass22 on May 25th, 2012, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, 2012, 6:10 pm #9

Thanks for any help.

Vaughn
f

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 25th, 2012, 6:14 pm #10

Thanks for any help.

Vaughn
I had their Martin Mercator that a client asked me to build. Upon inspection of the kit I showed him that it was WAY OFF and would not be at all what he wanted or even expected. The 'detail' parts were anywhere from okay to junk. I've seen other kits of theirs that were not bad though. I'm going to be trying my hand on their 1/32 Ta 152H here soon. If anything it's good skill practice for my vac skills.

Later,

Lee