Looking for book review - The Century Series by Ted Spitzmiller

Looking for book review - The Century Series by Ted Spitzmiller

May 23rd, 2012, 12:53 am #1

Anyone seen a review of "The Century Series: The USAF Quest for Air Supremacy 1950-1960 F-100 F-101 F-102 F-104 F-105 F-106" by Ted Spitzmiller? Was just on Amazon website but there is no review of the book. It is a Schiffer book and the book cover says it is a "pictorial history".
Hope it is of the same quality of David W. Menard's "Before Centuries" book.
Thanks,
Joel

May 23rd, 2012, 1:23 am #2

They don't edit or fact-check their authors' texts, so both the quality and usefulness of their books are highly variable, depending on the writing ability and knowledge of the authors.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

May 23rd, 2012, 2:12 am #3

Fer sure, Michael!!!! nt

May 23rd, 2012, 2:38 am #4

They don't edit or fact-check their authors' texts, so both the quality and usefulness of their books are highly variable, depending on the writing ability and knowledge of the authors.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Singling Schiffer out for what everyone else does seems unfair.
They're all equal offenders.
Name me one "Good" publisher, then we'll talk.

Christian A.
Christian A.

May 23rd, 2012, 11:58 am #5

Anyone seen a review of "The Century Series: The USAF Quest for Air Supremacy 1950-1960 F-100 F-101 F-102 F-104 F-105 F-106" by Ted Spitzmiller? Was just on Amazon website but there is no review of the book. It is a Schiffer book and the book cover says it is a "pictorial history".
Hope it is of the same quality of David W. Menard's "Before Centuries" book.
Thanks,
Joel
I wear a lot of hats related to books.
Avid reader of books about a/c and war.
Obsessive collector and reader of model books and magazines.
Elementary/middle school librarian and de facto editor of many student works.
Writer who majored in old-school journalism under a couple of mean ole professors. Much gratitude to them.
I'm a pretty-darn hard-hearted copy editor.
Geezer-in-training, though some label me as already there!

Yes, too many of the Schiffer books are poorly edited and proofed. No excuses for that. I own several, in many cases because of the pictures. Some of their books are properly edited and proofed. Too many are not. Cleanly edited books are the responsibility of the publisher-period.

It is definitely possible to produce nearly-perfectly proofed and edited books. Shelves are loaded with them. One of the reasons the big publishers get big is they ensure their books are done right. If the publisher puts the burden of submitting clean copy back on the author, the final price of the book may not be affected. If the publisher takes responsibility for cleaning up the author's messy submission, that's overhead they need to recover. The cost of producing the book goes up, whether ink-on-paper or ebook.

The are many books in this hobby that are well-written, edited and laid out. They need to be recognized with vigor so the ones not doing as well can see what we'd really like to see.

Though there are many guidelines for nice, easy-on-the eye designs for pages, this is more art than hard-fast rules. There's just no good reason for poor grammar, misspelling and writing errors. Especially with all the modern aids we have on computers now.

OK...now I'm gingerly climbing off my soapbox.

Rick in Maine

May 23rd, 2012, 8:13 pm #6

Christian A.
Eagle Editions volumes are known for the quality of the photographs; excellence in artwork; depth, accuracy and validity of research; adherence to the standard rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax; etc, etc, etc. The 86th Fighter Group in WW II is a sterling example of all of the above. When I was looking for a publisher I considered and quickly abandoned Squadron and Schiffer for too many reasons too numerous to mention but all of which are obvious to anyone who has even a modicum of ability with the English language and a middling grasp of history. The "editors" at both of those other houses are less interested in QC (if at all) than they are in volume publishing. You shouldn't pontificate while pointing a loaded shotgun at your feet...

May 23rd, 2012, 8:26 pm #7

Christian A.
"The guy was all mach and no compass heading..." Or, in HS parlance: "Too many pontificators, not enough objectively correct experts..."

May 23rd, 2012, 8:29 pm #8

Christian A.
Mikey Mac was dead on in his analysis...

May 23rd, 2012, 9:09 pm #9

I wear a lot of hats related to books.
Avid reader of books about a/c and war.
Obsessive collector and reader of model books and magazines.
Elementary/middle school librarian and de facto editor of many student works.
Writer who majored in old-school journalism under a couple of mean ole professors. Much gratitude to them.
I'm a pretty-darn hard-hearted copy editor.
Geezer-in-training, though some label me as already there!

Yes, too many of the Schiffer books are poorly edited and proofed. No excuses for that. I own several, in many cases because of the pictures. Some of their books are properly edited and proofed. Too many are not. Cleanly edited books are the responsibility of the publisher-period.

It is definitely possible to produce nearly-perfectly proofed and edited books. Shelves are loaded with them. One of the reasons the big publishers get big is they ensure their books are done right. If the publisher puts the burden of submitting clean copy back on the author, the final price of the book may not be affected. If the publisher takes responsibility for cleaning up the author's messy submission, that's overhead they need to recover. The cost of producing the book goes up, whether ink-on-paper or ebook.

The are many books in this hobby that are well-written, edited and laid out. They need to be recognized with vigor so the ones not doing as well can see what we'd really like to see.

Though there are many guidelines for nice, easy-on-the eye designs for pages, this is more art than hard-fast rules. There's just no good reason for poor grammar, misspelling and writing errors. Especially with all the modern aids we have on computers now.

OK...now I'm gingerly climbing off my soapbox.

Rick in Maine
You are dead-on correct in everything you've said and you have an absolute right, indeed, a moral imperative / obligation to shout it from the roof-tops. Shoddiness, across the spectrum, is too much rampant in the U.S. these days and one of the reasons we are in decline as a nation and as a people. Everyone seems to think that they have an inalienable right to express their opinions, and that their opinions are, prima facie, as valid as those of anyone else. Almost invariably, the less they know the louder they shout. Not as smart as they think they are and not smart enough to understand that they're not as smart as they think they are. We have two orifices that exude gas. One puts out methane which can be burned for heat and light; the other, sometimes, content-wise, generates nothing more than carbon emissions. Bad enough are the truly ignorant; you can forgive them, if you wish, for their cluelessness. Worse are those who are smart enough to know better but don't get the picture...

May 23rd, 2012, 11:43 pm #10

Christian A.
Schiffer does not employ editors. They literally publish whatever is sent to them. They choose the cover art, and the rest is published as-is. I'm not aware of any other publisher that does no editing (or that at least doesn't have the ability to if they so choose).