Looking for an AK-47 in 120mm (1/16th) scale...

Looking for an AK-47 in 120mm (1/16th) scale...

Kevin_Smythers
Kevin_Smythers

December 16th, 2006, 6:58 pm #1

...figure modelling friend asked me if I could help, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I'm in the UK. Willing to buy, or perhaps work out with a trade deal (though I have no figure stuff myself).

Not my usual field, so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Email me at addy shown in my profile, or post reply here (I'm in here most days).

TIA

Kevin S

Glen the Rotorhead
Glen the Rotorhead

December 16th, 2006, 8:14 pm #2

You can get them through Red Lancer.

Kevin_Smythers
Kevin_Smythers

December 17th, 2006, 7:13 am #3

Kevin Smythers (UK)
Kevin Smythers (UK)

December 17th, 2006, 10:21 am #4

You can get them through Red Lancer.
am I looking at the right website? www.redlancer.com

All it seems to have is a few pics of Militaria and some completed figures for sale. No info on parts, suppliers, ordering...

Cheers

Kevin S

Jim
Jim

December 18th, 2006, 8:37 am #5

kevin the AK from the Verlinden NVA figure or the Israeli Captain are quiet good. As Glen said the New Order stuff is great but hard to find and not cheap.

December 18th, 2006, 4:12 pm #6

am I looking at the right website? www.redlancer.com

All it seems to have is a few pics of Militaria and some completed figures for sale. No info on parts, suppliers, ordering...

Cheers

Kevin S
No, you want www.redlancers.com

plural, this will take you to Chuck's site.

Kevin_Smythers
Kevin_Smythers

December 18th, 2006, 8:30 pm #7

now I have discovered that they don't have the AK-47 anyway - ain't that always the way.

Have found a UK source for the US Vietnam Weapons set, though. I think that'll do the job.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin S

December 19th, 2006, 9:15 pm #8

IIRC it has the ribbed top cover and the widened forestock. If you use one, you should remove those features. Also the magazine should be ribbed, not flat.

Kevin_Smythers
Kevin_Smythers

December 21st, 2006, 4:28 pm #9

Much appreciated. Can you tell I don't build many Vietnam era figures?

Kevin S

January 13th, 2007, 3:39 am #10

IIRC it has the ribbed top cover and the widened forestock. If you use one, you should remove those features. Also the magazine should be ribbed, not flat.
The ribbed cover came out in or around 1952, for the AKM. It can be used on the AK-47, no problem.

The magazines interchange back and forth, meaning the ribbed or or non-ribbed magazines. The "slab side" mags were felt to be less reliable than they liked, so the ribbed model was made. The slab sides would be less likely, but it's entirely possible.

I guess what I'm getting at is don't write off the Verlinden AK just because of the ribbed cover or its magazine. Look at the period you're modeling. A pre-1952 AK won't have the ribs. If only Chinese rifles are being used, it's less likely to have the ribs and a slab side mag, but neither is set in stone. If weapons were smuggled in from anywhere else, it's certainly possible.