Looking for a good "beginners" vac kit....

Looking for a good "beginners" vac kit....

May 1st, 2012, 2:00 am #1

Hey gang!

I've got the Koster B-17 conversion set, a Wings 1/48 WACO and a 1/32 Cessna 140 vac kits. But before I jump into any one of them I'd like to cut my "vac teeth" on something that will be a good learning experience.

So, for you folks with vac kit experience, what would you recommend as a good vac kit to learn with? Or even a couple kits that would both be good to practice/learn with.

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

May 1st, 2012, 2:26 am #2

Scimitar or Skyshark.

Karen

May 1st, 2012, 2:49 am #3

Thanks Karen!

I just read a review on the Skyshark kit and I'm going to keep an eye open for it.

Kent

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

May 1st, 2012, 2:49 am #4

Hey gang!

I've got the Koster B-17 conversion set, a Wings 1/48 WACO and a 1/32 Cessna 140 vac kits. But before I jump into any one of them I'd like to cut my "vac teeth" on something that will be a good learning experience.

So, for you folks with vac kit experience, what would you recommend as a good vac kit to learn with? Or even a couple kits that would both be good to practice/learn with.

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

I'm sure you've seen these 1/72 scale vac conversion kits around. Rather than a whole kit, try one of these conversions to get yourself familiar with working with vac-form parts.

The first vac kit I ever wanted to do was an E-1B Tracer using the Falcon conversion. The set also had a reconnaissance F9F-8 Cougar conversion on the sheet, a simple replacement of the nose section, so I did it first just as a warm up to the E-1B.
Andrew White

May 1st, 2012, 3:00 am #5

Hey gang!

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

and I highly suggest that you start with a simple single-engine fighter. Avoid twins until you have a few single -engine jobs under your belt.

Later,

Lee

May 1st, 2012, 3:01 am #6

Hey gang!

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

That Wings 48 Waco should be fairly easy. I used to do some of the build ups for their ads. This was back when Don Bratt owned the company.
Most of them were very well designed. You'll find that the Koster kits are also very very good. Be careful when sanding the fuselage sides. Use the canopy as a guide for the width.Its also a good idea to make a plaster casting of the canopy. Thats in case you mess up on the original. Work slowly and carefully. They're not as hard to do as you may think. The hardest part in my opinion is in scratch building the interiors.
Good luck and I hope this helps

Jerry from Maumee Ohio
vacu form freak

The only reason you need a parachute while sky diving is to assure that you can make a second jump.
Last edited by vacman on May 1st, 2012, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2012, 5:29 am #7

Hey gang!

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

...the Monogram P-47. Only a few parts to deal with and you can't really go wrong with it. The Koster B-17 conversion is also an easy project. The main thing to remember is after cutting the parts from the sheet to carefully sand the mating edges. You'll have to create some sort of tab to align the fuselage halves (I use some of the scrap sheet). If you sand very carefully, you should not require much in the way of filler (My Dynavector Skyshark required NONE). Welcome to the world of vacs!!!

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!

May 1st, 2012, 7:17 am #8

Hey gang!

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

Do a liquid cooled engine fighter, nt

May 1st, 2012, 8:35 am #9

Hey gang!

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

failing that, I highly reccomend the Falcon triple conversions, well, any Falcon kit really

May 1st, 2012, 11:13 am #10

Hey gang!

Thanks!

Kent

Kent

try a slab-sided German 2 seater. They build very well and come in 1/72 and 1/48. I was seriously addicted to these back in the day.