Looking for a 1/35 SAS conversion

Looking for a 1/35 SAS conversion

Jim Kiker
Jim Kiker

December 21st, 2011, 5:50 pm #1

Hi all,

I am an airplane modeler but I want to do an SAS Jeep in 1/35 scale. I have an old boxing of the Tamiya Jeep with trailer, and I've ordered a set of figures from New World Miniatures. What I need is a set of the guns, tanks, etc. to convert the Jeep to SAS "standard." Legend makes a double set as well as a single set plus the civilian wheels. There are other sets out there as well. So, I am looking for a SAS set for one Jeep; perhaps a full half of a legend double set or someone else's full set for one. Does anyone here have a set of parts to spare? I know I can get them commercially, just thought I would try here first.

I also stand ready to adjust my sights based on input by you armor experts if there are better sets to be had, ones to avoid, etc. I have seen a set on Hobbylink Japan too; too rich for me!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cheers, Jim

December 21st, 2011, 6:03 pm #2

co's conversion sets are very nice and pricey. You may wish to consider and a little less pricey.... using parts from the old Tamiya SAS jeep itself, ie, MG's, MG mounts, jerry can's, extra's. Or use parts from the Italeri SAS Commando Jeep, ie MG's, MG mounts and extra's. The old Tamiya Jeep you have will need it's grill modified and if you're doing a SAS jeep for N. Africa, there's a water cooler I think for the raditor that you'll need...scratch build????
Also remeber the kit you have the Tamiya Jeep w/trailer is nearing 50 years old....even the Tamiya SAS jeep isn't that old!!! Mike.

December 21st, 2011, 6:22 pm #3

Hi all,

I am an airplane modeler but I want to do an SAS Jeep in 1/35 scale. I have an old boxing of the Tamiya Jeep with trailer, and I've ordered a set of figures from New World Miniatures. What I need is a set of the guns, tanks, etc. to convert the Jeep to SAS "standard." Legend makes a double set as well as a single set plus the civilian wheels. There are other sets out there as well. So, I am looking for a SAS set for one Jeep; perhaps a full half of a legend double set or someone else's full set for one. Does anyone here have a set of parts to spare? I know I can get them commercially, just thought I would try here first.

I also stand ready to adjust my sights based on input by you armor experts if there are better sets to be had, ones to avoid, etc. I have seen a set on Hobbylink Japan too; too rich for me!

Cheers, Jim
Last edited by JeffBCadenhead on December 21st, 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 6:43 pm #4

Hi all,

Cheers, Jim
Cyber Hobby just released a new 1/35 SAS Jeep kit. You will likely spend more on conversion sets from Black Dog or others than just buying the Cyber Hobby kit. It has all of the guns, jerry cans, etc...

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/c ... um=CHC6681

HTH,

Scott
Last edited by didiumus on December 21st, 2011, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 7:27 pm #5

Save yourself the grief and bin the old Tamiya jeep or use it as a paint mule. It is not the most accurate kit and does not fit together well.

The new Dragon SAS Jeep is disappointing. Much of the actual Jeep parts are very poorly done and just inaccurate (the wheels being one issue). The SAS parts are not great nor are they complete. It's a very pricey kit that you would still need to sink a lot of $$$ into. Honestly the old Tamiya SAS Jeep, while crude, is probably fundamentally "better".

The nicest SAS conversion around is the stuff from Swash Designs. It is for the new Tamiya kit. Actually they have two sets depending on your wants...

http://www.swash-design.com/products/mo ... v/afv.html

If you want to do it right get the Swash stuff

December 21st, 2011, 7:42 pm #6

I have not compared the kit (don't have one yet) to any references, but I have seen Loics' 1:1 scale Jeep and it is quite nice.

Just FYI...

Scott
Last edited by didiumus on December 21st, 2011, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 8:45 pm #7

Save yourself the grief and bin the old Tamiya jeep or use it as a paint mule. It is not the most accurate kit and does not fit together well.

The new Dragon SAS Jeep is disappointing. Much of the actual Jeep parts are very poorly done and just inaccurate (the wheels being one issue). The SAS parts are not great nor are they complete. It's a very pricey kit that you would still need to sink a lot of $$$ into. Honestly the old Tamiya SAS Jeep, while crude, is probably fundamentally "better".

The nicest SAS conversion around is the stuff from Swash Designs. It is for the new Tamiya kit. Actually they have two sets depending on your wants...

http://www.swash-design.com/products/mo ... v/afv.html

If you want to do it right get the Swash stuff
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... e=&order=0

http://www-legend.co.kr/01_afv01.html?t ... ge=&spage=

http://blackdog.cz/t35.html

Dry fit, don't fit, fix fit.

Google IS your friend.
Last edited by JeffBCadenhead on December 21st, 2011, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 9:04 pm #8

I have not compared the kit (don't have one yet) to any references, but I have seen Loics' 1:1 scale Jeep and it is quite nice.

Just FYI...

Scott
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... h6681.html

There are also extensive discussions of the kit (with reference info) on Missing Links and Track Link

December 21st, 2011, 9:07 pm #9

You get two figues so thats $20-$30 depending on the brand of aftermarket figure you buy.

The Cyber Hobby limited edition kit (sold at at Dragon) was $32 and it needs a lot of work and has no figures. So just buying some crew and the Dragon kit you are at just over half the price of the Swash kit.

December 21st, 2011, 9:52 pm #10

The Thompson SMG in this set is not usable in its stock form. It is a hybrid between the M1928 and M1 models with details of both combined onto one weapon. It has the M1 non-detachable buttstock and appears to have the M1 receiver with the M1928 cocking handle on top of it. I don't know if the SAS in Africa ever used the M1 Thompson, but it would be better to obtain an accurate M1928 (or M1) to be more authentic.

I photographed Loic's SAS jeep at the last IPMS Nationals, and it is very nicely appointed. The errors in the Cyberhobby jeep kit have to do with the details of the basic vehicle, not the SAS converted assemblies and details. Loic may be comparing just the SAS-specific details.....