Lohner S-30

Lohner S-30

December 8th, 2010, 8:42 pm #1

Choroszy Lohner S-30 in 1/72. I wound up rebuilding most of the structural frame from plastic rod as most of those resin parts simply will not stay straight. Besides, styrene extrusions are much more consistent in section.

One day I will figure out how to keep the larger parts from warping after I have re-formed them in boiling water. The other irritant with this one is the lack of decent instructions. Choroszy barely gives you enough information to put 1/2 the parts together. the rest came from the internet or publication I got on M Type Lohners.

Anyway, it's resin alright. Enjoy.

-M

December 9th, 2010, 12:36 am #2

it deserves being posted twice! And so does my praise and congrats! BEAUTIFUL!

December 9th, 2010, 7:16 pm #3

Choroszy Lohner S-30 in 1/72. I wound up rebuilding most of the structural frame from plastic rod as most of those resin parts simply will not stay straight. Besides, styrene extrusions are much more consistent in section.

One day I will figure out how to keep the larger parts from warping after I have re-formed them in boiling water. The other irritant with this one is the lack of decent instructions. Choroszy barely gives you enough information to put 1/2 the parts together. the rest came from the internet or publication I got on M Type Lohners.

Anyway, it's resin alright. Enjoy.

-M

What did you use for turnbucklings?

December 9th, 2010, 7:23 pm #4

...I used it for the areas where I wanted to show braided line and just painted it the same dark gray as the rest of the line. The only difference between that and the turnbuckles is that they are painted silver.

December 9th, 2010, 7:25 pm #5

Don't know why that last post was Anonymous. Weird.

December 9th, 2010, 9:11 pm #6

...I used it for the areas where I wanted to show braided line and just painted it the same dark gray as the rest of the line. The only difference between that and the turnbuckles is that they are painted silver.
Where can it be obtained in that size? I do a lot of 1/72 rigging, myself.

December 9th, 2010, 10:03 pm #7

...I got the polymide tubing from SmallParts.com. You will have to size it by interior diameter...and figure it should be twice what your actual rigging material is. I like the option of running two strands of rigging through. That way I can double it up around the anchor points.

FYI, I used .002" dia. tippet line for the rigging. You can get it from most fly fishing stores or the following link http://www.waterstrider.com/fishing-gear.htm) to the place in Montana that I got mine.

Let me know if you want the I.D. of the tubing I used. I can check it when I go home tonight.

-Mark

December 10th, 2010, 12:40 am #8

I usually use elastic EZ-Line, but am considering a trial of four thousandths music wire, which I found on sale at Small Parts but have not ordered yet. Might as well combine....

The thin monofilament you suggest seems worth a try, too. Tightening that stuff has always worried me, and kept me off employing the 'invisible thread' available at fabric stores (also rated at four thousandths).

December 10th, 2010, 4:26 pm #9

Regarding the polymide tubing/tippet material dimensions:

1/72 .002” dia. tippet material .0100” I.D., .00075” WL translucent amber polymide

1/48 .003” dia. tippet material .0113” I.D., .0010” WL translucent amber polymide