"Little Miss Mischief" Did she have a Cheyanne tail?

"Little Miss Mischief" Did she have a Cheyanne tail?

July 15th, 2017, 8:59 pm #1

I just received my Kit World decals for Little Miss Mischief for my 1/72 Airifx kit. The decals indicate that she had a Cheyanne tail. A google search revealed only one photo of the actual plane's tail, and it looks like the standard one to me. Of course, there are hundreds of drawings and models, to, and they seem to show both tails. Does anyone know of any definitive info on this?

July 15th, 2017, 10:15 pm #3

I just received my Kit World decals for Little Miss Mischief for my 1/72 Airifx kit. The decals indicate that she had a Cheyanne tail. A google search revealed only one photo of the actual plane's tail, and it looks like the standard one to me. Of course, there are hundreds of drawings and models, to, and they seem to show both tails. Does anyone know of any definitive info on this?
From the information I have available to me: Prior to her rebuild, she was B-17G-35VE s/n 42-97880, equipped with a standard tail, unstaggered, 3-pane UAL Mod Center waist windows in overall NMF. She went to the 91st and was assigned to the 324th BS, DF*F. After her rebuild she retained the standard tail for most, if not all of her career. However, there is one specific image (which I naturally cannot locate) after her crash on the runway at Bassingborn that seems to show her with the unmistakable pumpkin turret plexiglass enclosure. If she did in fact have the pumpkin turret fitted, it was very, very late in the game and probably was done when she was down for maintenance after damage on a previous mission. Right now, that sentence is just speculation on my part.

and please, please ,please....do NOT paint the vertical tail where the deice boot was, black. That area was painted red after July 1944 and with the deice boot removed (as evidenced by the natural metal fin immediately forward of the red ID band) it all would've been painted red. In my opinion, the black paint in that area is the result of misinterpreted images.

I'll keep looking for the image I think shows her with a pumpkin tail enclosure.

UPDATE: I found the photo I thought showed the pumpkin turret plexiglass but it's inconclusive as not enough is visible to say she had the pumpkin turret. With that said, I'd stick by what MD said about her having the standard stinger tail turret.

Last edited by Ghost5283 on July 15th, 2017, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 16th, 2017, 3:20 am #4

Look for a post thats many pages long on the HK B-17. There are several awesome photos of LMM at various times.
Great aeroplaneto build...
Time to spare..go by air!