Liberty Models Buffalo Not proud of this one but it is pleasing enough on the shelf

Liberty Models Buffalo Not proud of this one but it is pleasing enough on the shelf

October 13th, 2010, 4:22 am #1

..finished it earlier this year..
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

ooooooh sooooo much filling filing and sanding!

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The horizontal and vertical tabs are made of thin resin halves and were warped, I was able to get the horizontal stab straight but I never successfully straightened out the fin... If I was doing it again I would build the fin out of balsa..
had to test the decals
[/IMG]

prop blades were hopeless..had to scratch slightly less hopeless ones!
[/IMG]
colours were eyeballed from a few photos (references very rare.. I saw this plane in Halim and took one pic!)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
undercarriage legs are resin, the model is very heavy so I dont let it "sit" on its wheels for long
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

this is no work of skill or art, I found it quite difficult and challenging and not at all enjoyable.. but I paid my money and I wanted to model this attractive plane. I have given far better than this away but I cant part with this one.

October 13th, 2010, 11:54 am #2

Great work!!! Well done!!!

Ken Sallman
Ken Sallman

November 12th, 2010, 6:20 pm #3

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The horizontal and vertical tabs are made of thin resin halves and were warped, I was able to get the horizontal stab straight but I never successfully straightened out the fin... If I was doing it again I would build the fin out of balsa..
had to test the decals
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
colours were eyeballed from a few photos (references very rare.. I saw this plane in Halim and took one pic!)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
undercarriage legs are resin, the model is very heavy so I dont let it "sit" on its wheels for long
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

this is no work of skill or art, I found it quite difficult and challenging and not at all enjoyable.. but I paid my money and I wanted to model this attractive plane. I have given far better than this away but I cant part with this one.
n/t

NV Smith
NV Smith

November 12th, 2010, 7:53 pm #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

had to test the decals
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

-I saw one of the U.S. Army 11th Air Assault Dvision (test) Buffalos on the ramp at Ton Son Nhut in, I guess, 1964 or 65. Compared to the Caribous I thought it was a great upgrade and a rather attractive aircraft: form does follow function.
-Later I was stationed in Panama and saw a few other Buffs from South America fly through Howard AFB.
-I'd say you did a good job on an underappreciated aircraft.
-Thanks for sharing.