Les Mureaux 117, Finis

Les Mureaux 117, Finis

August 19th, 2012, 3:26 am #1

Given a nice peaceful weekend, I have managed to finish the Les Mureaux. Final assembly was a bit tricky; I had dry fit the wing struts earlier on, but when committing to glue the rear struts decided to be too long--did they grow? The easy solution was to trim them where they attach to the fuselage.

The decals performed just fine, despite my misgivings. They snuggled down very nicely with MicroSet and MicroSol. I did my usual overcoat with Future + Tamiya Flat Base, mixed to give a slight satin sheen. The scheme is basically for a machine from early 1940, although I mixed 'n matched by making the cowling bare metal a la the earlier 1930s overall green scheme. Why? 'Cause I like the way the metal cowl looks. The camouflage is free-handed with my trusty airbrush. I had never done a free-hand cammo job before, so I was a bit apprehensive, but I just took it slow and easy and I'm happy with how it came out.

I enjoyed this kit. It has its "interesting" aspects with the complex struts, lack of positive attachments for many parts, and occasionally unclear instructions, but nothing that a little patience can't overcome. And I think it's a very cool goonie sort of subject.

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Last edited by StuartMilliken on August 19th, 2012, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 19th, 2012, 3:50 am #2

That finished off just perfectly. I agree with Allan...that is one of the best schemes I've seen in a long time.

Excellent job.
Last edited by NinetyThirdLiberator on August 19th, 2012, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 19th, 2012, 1:20 pm #3

Given a nice peaceful weekend, I have managed to finish the Les Mureaux. Final assembly was a bit tricky; I had dry fit the wing struts earlier on, but when committing to glue the rear struts decided to be too long--did they grow? The easy solution was to trim them where they attach to the fuselage.

The decals performed just fine, despite my misgivings. They snuggled down very nicely with MicroSet and MicroSol. I did my usual overcoat with Future + Tamiya Flat Base, mixed to give a slight satin sheen. The scheme is basically for a machine from early 1940, although I mixed 'n matched by making the cowling bare metal a la the earlier 1930s overall green scheme. Why? 'Cause I like the way the metal cowl looks. The camouflage is free-handed with my trusty airbrush. I had never done a free-hand cammo job before, so I was a bit apprehensive, but I just took it slow and easy and I'm happy with how it came out.

I enjoyed this kit. It has its "interesting" aspects with the complex struts, lack of positive attachments for many parts, and occasionally unclear instructions, but nothing that a little patience can't overcome. And I think it's a very cool goonie sort of subject.

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
And I still have not found the photo of mine...

I will find and post some day.

Greg in OK

August 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm #4

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
I love to see old kits finished up to achieve high quality results like this! Bravo!

August 19th, 2012, 2:07 pm #5

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart

I'm not a plastic kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 19th, 2012, 10:16 pm #6

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
That is really nice work and a lovely finish .. nt

August 20th, 2012, 7:50 pm #7

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
...and great job on the rest as well! It really looks terrific. Love those old Heller kits!

August 21st, 2012, 1:56 am #8

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Great camo pattern, great NMF, it all works perfectly.
Nice one !!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

August 21st, 2012, 4:29 pm #9

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
That is a REAL beauty, Stuart! Excellent job on the build, and super solid work with the painting and decalling! Love that camo scheme!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

Firefly Makeover Pt1

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1; RCAF Trimotor Pt. 2

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3; Postwar RCAF Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs; Matilda Makeover; The Big Spit Finish; Me109 Finish; Vickers Tank Finish; Connies Finish

August 23rd, 2012, 5:00 pm #10

Les pictures:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Excellent job Stuart! It is so nice to see an old classic done proper justice. I love the old Heller kits and you have done this one right proud. Camo scheme looks awesome and I like bare metal cowling and wheel pants. Gives it a nice touch, gorgeous model man!

Jon