La Mort qui fauche: Dewoitine D.510

La Mort qui fauche: Dewoitine D.510

Massimo La Civita
Massimo La Civita

October 3rd, 2011, 3:36 pm #1

A trip down memory lane: I'm buying and building all the "black box" Heller kits that I remember I built as a child. They were carried by the local dep. store, and all my pocket money went for them.

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

Decals: slightly yellowed and off-center: I will not bother bleaching, since I will source the cocardes from other sheets, while the reaper has already been scanned and converted into vector graphic, so that I will print her on clear decal.

The surface detail is quite nice, but the plastic surface has a pebbly texture that would show under the aluminium finish:

So, I did sand all the detail off, just trying to preserve bulges, hinges and actuators here and there.

By the way: I'm always impressed with the quality of these old heller issues: perfect fit, good shapes and detail, unusual subject...gotta love them.

October 3rd, 2011, 5:49 pm #2

Massimo,

That's one of my favorites and it's in my stash. Make us proud!

Cheers.

October 3rd, 2011, 11:39 pm #3

A trip down memory lane: I'm buying and building all the "black box" Heller kits that I remember I built as a child. They were carried by the local dep. store, and all my pocket money went for them.

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

Decals: slightly yellowed and off-center: I will not bother bleaching, since I will source the cocardes from other sheets, while the reaper has already been scanned and converted into vector graphic, so that I will print her on clear decal.

The surface detail is quite nice, but the plastic surface has a pebbly texture that would show under the aluminium finish:

So, I did sand all the detail off, just trying to preserve bulges, hinges and actuators here and there.

By the way: I'm always impressed with the quality of these old heller issues: perfect fit, good shapes and detail, unusual subject...gotta love them.
I have their NiD-622 and I hope to get many more of their great offerings.

I'd love to see how this one will turn out! Will you be going with the "Death" scheme or the Navy one?

J.Healy
J.Healy

October 4th, 2011, 3:22 am #4

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

nt

Chester
Chester

October 4th, 2011, 8:47 am #5

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

Those are lovely kits. I do miss Heller and wonder what they'd release now, if they could.

October 4th, 2011, 1:03 pm #6

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

s

October 4th, 2011, 7:12 pm #7

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

I completely agree on these Black Box Heller kits - many of them are true classics in my eye. This is one of my favourite kits - and by the way, good call on those decals. Outsource the roundels and copy the Grim reaper onto clear decal film - worked for me! Good luck!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

October 5th, 2011, 9:53 am #8

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

I will wait with excitment the way you are going to embellish this one!

October 6th, 2011, 8:47 am #9

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

George, out.................

October 6th, 2011, 7:18 pm #10

The box:

Instructions:

Sprues:

I agree on Heller kits, I build several of them in my youth - and they were pretty nice (the kits, not my builds)

I have to do a Heller kit too while this GB is still on.... decisions decisions decisions

Nice work so far Massimo - I build the 501 - and messed up the undercarriage, it looks like a Reno racer now

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix - Me-262 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Post scriptum / end (incl. eDay 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2/2) - Part III - Part IV

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God