Kinetic Prowler, more progress

Kinetic Prowler, more progress

July 15th, 2012, 8:21 pm #1

More weathering using oils, pastels and Tamiya palettes.
I scratch built intake covers from wine bottle foil and sprayed them Olive Drab before attaching them with Gator Grip white glue. They still need retaining straps adding, the intake cover decals for VAQ-142 Grey Wolves are from the Afterburner sheet, a nice touch I think.
The crew access doors were attached by the front cockpit and have scratch built stay arms attached. Exhaust covers were made from wine foil too and will have RBF flags attached. the arrestor hook was masked and sprayed stripey with a Steel hook end, Alclad Steel was also used for the exhaust outlets and heat plates.

The seats are finished and added, the headbox decals are also from the Afterburner sheet adding a finishing touch to the Aires seats.

All the small bits and pieces like wheels and gear doors seem to take so long to get sorted, but they are coming together. The three ECM pods had decals on the Afterburner sheet that are not in the Kinetic kit, so they look miles better, they have been suitably weathered also.

July 15th, 2012, 8:52 pm #2

r

July 15th, 2012, 9:02 pm #3

I scratch built intake covers from wine bottle foil and sprayed them Olive Drab before attaching them with Gator Grip white glue. They still need retaining straps adding, the intake cover decals for VAQ-142 Grey Wolves are from the Afterburner sheet, a nice touch I think.
The crew access doors were attached by the front cockpit and have scratch built stay arms attached. Exhaust covers were made from wine foil too and will have RBF flags attached. the arrestor hook was masked and sprayed stripey with a Steel hook end, Alclad Steel was also used for the exhaust outlets and heat plates.

The seats are finished and added, the headbox decals are also from the Afterburner sheet adding a finishing touch to the Aires seats.

All the small bits and pieces like wheels and gear doors seem to take so long to get sorted, but they are coming together. The three ECM pods had decals on the Afterburner sheet that are not in the Kinetic kit, so they look miles better, they have been suitably weathered also.
.....when we were doing the Iraq no fly zone. These things used to kick us off the tanker as they were classed as HVAs (High Value Assets). We used to watch them trying to plug in for ages with one eye on our draining fuel gauges. Gits!

July 15th, 2012, 9:28 pm #4

Gorgeous job, really gorgeous. God is in the detail.

July 15th, 2012, 10:45 pm #5

I'm not a jet guy but that is fantastic work there! Love the paint scheme!

July 16th, 2012, 4:28 am #6

so far. That is a pretty awesome paint job Mike! Thats gonna be a winner.

Brandon

July 16th, 2012, 7:13 am #7

Hey I got a question. Did you have a hard time with the wing to fues fit? I just tried my Kinetic kit I have been working on, and I thought I was messing with my old Monogram kit. Great Job, and its going to be a looker Thanks, Darren

July 16th, 2012, 9:15 am #8

Looking really nice. Lovely work with the airbrush

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale

July 16th, 2012, 3:10 pm #9

That is looking VERY impressive so far.

July 16th, 2012, 5:42 pm #10

Hey I got a question. Did you have a hard time with the wing to fues fit? I just tried my Kinetic kit I have been working on, and I thought I was messing with my old Monogram kit. Great Job, and its going to be a looker Thanks, Darren
You are right Darren. I have built this kit before so was forewarned.

It is an easy fix though.

This was the issue I had, check out the gap at the wing root!

I took a rasp file to the red hatched areas here:

and voila! (do the same both sides)