Kettyhawk Decals Problem

July 12th, 2018, 3:19 pm #1

Has anyone else had a problem with Kittyhawk Decals Shattering on application. Every decal I've tried on my Kittyhawk F94C Starfire 1/48 kit have disintegration while trying to apply. Even if I can get one off the sheet whole, as soon as I try to lay it on the model and move it a it bit, it has shattered badly.

Am I the only "Lucky" one with these?.

Frank
Frank

July 12th, 2018, 5:47 pm #2

Micro Liquid Decal Film to the rescue?

July 12th, 2018, 6:34 pm #3

Thanks. Well that might have helped, but its too late now. I've already destroyed too many. So I switched to a set of Caracal Decals I had acquired as a back up. Not exactly the theme I wanted. but a satisfactory substitute.
I just wondered if others had run into this problem with Kittyhawk.

Frank
Frank

July 13th, 2018, 12:57 am #4

No problem w/mine..maybe drop KH a note, might replace
It is requested that everyone remain silent,.... and standing

July 13th, 2018, 2:30 am #5

Thanks Tom. Appreciated. I'll do that.

Frank
Frank

July 14th, 2018, 1:40 pm #6

Hi Frank:  

How old are the decals? I have clear coated my old decals with a mixture of 4 parts of "Denatured Alcohol" with one part of Future Floor Wax using a Badger-200 airbrush with 15-20psi. I then cut around each decal with a new sharp #11 blade.  I mix a full bottle of MicroSet with a full bottle of MicroSol then put the mixture back into their bottles. I apply some "Set/Sol" mix to the decal while it's still on it's paper backing.  I apply clean water to the model where the decal is to go then I add a drop of my "Set/Sol" mix on top of the water.  The excess decal film is removed and the decal is placed on the model. I absorb the excess decal fluid off the decal with toilet tissue. I use a clean soft flat "wet-brush" and level out the decal and let it dry.  I wash off the decal with more clean water about a half hour later. I have been doing this for about 30 years with excellent results and I learned this method from  fellow modeler who was a chemical engineer in San Jose/Silicon Valley, CA.  You have my email address, so if you want to see some photos, email me.
Rodney!

July 14th, 2018, 2:30 pm #7

Hi Frank,  I just finished the KH F-94, I was surprised that even 1 second of dipping the decal in water was enough to loosen it from the paper!   I was very careful applying the decals and still had a lot of them break but they look okay now that I have them clear coated.  I moved the little broken pieces together with micro set and a toothpick.  This Starfire kit was purchased when it was brand new, one of their first issues I think, only one I've ever purchased. 

July 14th, 2018, 4:15 pm #8

Thanks Tom. I solved my problem by switching to a set of Caracal Decals # CD40817 which presented 3 nice schemes to choose from.

I'm working with a combination of the Top two schemes. These decals work normaly like Decals are supposed to.

Frank
Frank

July 15th, 2018, 7:14 pm #9

I have a lot of old Microscale sheets, notoriously thin and brittle to begin with. I've had good luck spraying the entire sheets with Testors Glosscote straight out the rattle can. I tape the corners down first so the sheet doesn't curl when sprayed. If in doubt I'll let dry between coats and hit it 2-3 times but usually one good heavy coat does it. I do this when I'm ready to use them, not way beforehand.
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

July 18th, 2018, 10:48 pm #10

I like all three of those on that sheet Frank.