KC-130J Harvest Hawk WIP 1.

February 12th, 2017, 4:06 pm #1

Hi all, i managed to get a small amount done this week in between working on my current commission, the first and really the biggest task is re-scribing the panel lines. As i mentioned before this really is my least favourite part of modelling and on a kit this size it is no small task but with a little advice from a couple of fellow modellers i got stuck in.
I have now completed the port wing and i had the odd error here and there which was easily corrected with some liquid filler, seemed to take forever but i am happy enough

I am not going to get into every bit of re-scribing, i am trying to break it up by doing some other bits as i go, i shall just continue on with that in the background. With one wing done i decided to attack the new resin engines, this is the C-130J engine as mounted to the Harvest Hawk.

This is the kit parts versus the resin, the kit parts are way to short, stumpy and the prop spinner is about half the size. The lower intake should sweep back further without the step as it joins the wing, the resin parts are a vast improvement.

I wanted the prop assembly to turn when completed rather than just glue all the parts together in one lump, the main reason for this is if I knock a prop blade it will move/spin which is better than it breaking off which would be an issue, i will come to that much later on.
The first thing was to clean the prop spinner up and find the centre using a centre square then drill a suitable hole square to the prop spinner.

Next the front cowling and intake, i wanted to include the kit compressor face, this will be set in position as follows.

I then drilled a clearance hole in the rear of the engine casting to allow the mounting shaft from the spinner to pass through. Once done i slid over the lower half of the kit spinner and rotated the spinner untill it found its centre and glued in position. The last thing to do will be to secure the small ring in the middle of the kit spinner to the shaft, this will hold the prop shaft in place allowing it to rotate.

I don't want to glue the engine assembly together yet as i want to paint the prop spinner separately as this will be easier. To facilitate this i need to make sure i have a square flush fit to the wing allowing me to completely assemble and paint the engines and then fit to the wing. This in turn brings me to the issue with the position of the inboard engine, the engines are all interchangeable but the inboard engine sits further in the wing as per the image below.

The instructions for the resin engines recommend the removal of 2.5mm from the face off the inboard engine mounting so the engine can be sat further back in the wing which makes sense. In reality the engine needs to be set into the wing a little further but that creates a far bigger issue in that you would lose the profile on the radius section on the wing leaving a step each side. The only way to resolve this would be to cut the panel out and make a new one with the radius further back so you maintain the profile between the engine and wing, thats a bridge to far for me.
This is the inboard engine mount before.

After removal of the 2.5mm this brings us level to the wing edge, the profile is still full at this point so the engine will match when fitted, this took a little while to do as to squareness of the face must be maintained in all axes otherwise when the engine is fitted it will not be true to the outboard. I used a 12"steel rule as a straight edge, with the 2.5mm gone on the inboard engine mount the rule sits flat across the face of both engine mounts.

Port inboard engine in position, the effort was well worth while as the fit is good and square allowing me to fit the engies later.

Port engine fitting completed.

The last thing to do is the exhaust, i set this in position and mounted to the wing this gave me an idea of how much i need to shorten it.

After a few more test fits i got the pipe to the right length and position.

The exhaust pipe has still to be cleaned up but that is essentially one engine done, naturally the same will be repeated for the other 3, the only exception being that the outboard engines can be mounted straight on the the wing without modification.

With that done i moved on to the AN/AAQ-30 TSS, this required using the kit fuel tank cut at a specific point.

The seam matched up on the kit parts so the ends where cut of both halves then glued together, once dried i filed back to the seam line keeping square across the face.I have adding some missing detail to the rear of the pylon as it is clearly shown on the Harvest Hawk, i am not sure if this is specific to the Harvest Hawk.  I have used a piece of resin with a V slot cut in it so it pushed onto the pylon end sitting each side of the pylon equally.

AN/AAQ-30 TSS complete.

Lastly for this week are the new Sponsons, the port side was a straight fit once free from the flash, the kit part is much shorter.

The Starboard side was a little more tricky as the area has to be removed first.

A bit of carefull cutting and filing and its done.

Starboard side Sponson on the Hawk/C-130J/KC-130J

Well that is it for this update, needless to say allot more to do yet and that for the most part will be re scribing panel lines.
I have already noticed allot of missing surface details, i am not sure how much of this i will replicate as some of the detail is tricky and you need a little bit more than the usual scribing templates.

Not sure when the next update will be as i have a Firefox i am working on too.

Last edited by danimalmagic on February 12th, 2017, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny.

"In Wildness Is the Preservation of the World"

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
Ace Rimmer, what a guy.

www.modelmasteruk.com
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bouncy.gif

Impressive start Danny... As expected!

February 12th, 2017, 5:26 pm #2

I doubt I'll ever do a Harvest Hawk... I have 4 or 5 C-130's in my stash, but they are going to be my AC-130 family.

Seeing you do this conversion might railroad me into that project...
I have so many others that I thought were first priority!

Nice thing about this hobby... As long as you're not doing commission work, you can bounce back and forth between projects at will! But on the flip side of that coin... You never really 'finish' any one project!

I like what you're doing so far! Keep up the fine work!
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

Thanks Don, I have...

February 12th, 2017, 5:42 pm #3

the Italeri 1/48 AC-130U in the stash, not sure I will want to re scibe that too😁
Danny.

Ace Rimmer, what a guy.

www.modelmasteruk.com

Damn dude this is off to a awesome start !!

February 13th, 2017, 12:11 am #4

Hi all, i managed to get a small amount done this week in between working on my current commission, the first and really the biggest task is re-scribing the panel lines. As i mentioned before this really is my least favourite part of modelling and on a kit this size it is no small task but with a little advice from a couple of fellow modellers i got stuck in.
I have now completed the port wing and i had the odd error here and there which was easily corrected with some liquid filler, seemed to take forever but i am happy enough

I am not going to get into every bit of re-scribing, i am trying to break it up by doing some other bits as i go, i shall just continue on with that in the background. With one wing done i decided to attack the new resin engines, this is the C-130J engine as mounted to the Harvest Hawk.

This is the kit parts versus the resin, the kit parts are way to short, stumpy and the prop spinner is about half the size. The lower intake should sweep back further without the step as it joins the wing, the resin parts are a vast improvement.

I wanted the prop assembly to turn when completed rather than just glue all the parts together in one lump, the main reason for this is if I knock a prop blade it will move/spin which is better than it breaking off which would be an issue, i will come to that much later on.
The first thing was to clean the prop spinner up and find the centre using a centre square then drill a suitable hole square to the prop spinner.

Next the front cowling and intake, i wanted to include the kit compressor face, this will be set in position as follows.

I then drilled a clearance hole in the rear of the engine casting to allow the mounting shaft from the spinner to pass through. Once done i slid over the lower half of the kit spinner and rotated the spinner untill it found its centre and glued in position. The last thing to do will be to secure the small ring in the middle of the kit spinner to the shaft, this will hold the prop shaft in place allowing it to rotate.

I don't want to glue the engine assembly together yet as i want to paint the prop spinner separately as this will be easier. To facilitate this i need to make sure i have a square flush fit to the wing allowing me to completely assemble and paint the engines and then fit to the wing. This in turn brings me to the issue with the position of the inboard engine, the engines are all interchangeable but the inboard engine sits further in the wing as per the image below.

The instructions for the resin engines recommend the removal of 2.5mm from the face off the inboard engine mounting so the engine can be sat further back in the wing which makes sense. In reality the engine needs to be set into the wing a little further but that creates a far bigger issue in that you would lose the profile on the radius section on the wing leaving a step each side. The only way to resolve this would be to cut the panel out and make a new one with the radius further back so you maintain the profile between the engine and wing, thats a bridge to far for me.

After removal of the 2.5mm this brings us level to the wing edge, the profile is still full at this point so the engine will match when fitted, this took a little while to do as to squareness of the face must be maintained in all axes otherwise when the engine is fitted it will not be true to the outboard. I used a 12"steel rule as a straight edge, with the 2.5mm gone on the inboard engine mount the rule sits flat across the face of both engine mounts.

Port inboard engine in position, the effort was well worth while as the fit is good and square allowing me to fit the engies later.

The last thing to do is the exhaust, i set this in position and mounted to the wing this gave me an idea of how much i need to shorten it.

The exhaust pipe has still to be cleaned up but that is essentially one engine done, naturally the same will be repeated for the other 3, the only exception being that the outboard engines can be mounted straight on the the wing without modification.

With that done i moved on to the AN/AAQ-30 TSS, this required using the kit fuel tank cut at a specific point.

The seam matched up on the kit parts so the ends where cut of both halves then glued together, once dried i filed back to the seam line keeping square across the face.I have adding some missing detail to the rear of the pylon as it is clearly shown on the Harvest Hawk, i am not sure if this is specific to the Harvest Hawk.  I have used a piece of resin with a V slot cut in it so it pushed onto the pylon end sitting each side of the pylon equally.

AN/AAQ-30 TSS complete.

Lastly for this week are the new Sponsons, the port side was a straight fit once free from the flash, the kit part is much shorter.

The Starboard side was a little more tricky as the area has to be removed first.

Well that is it for this update, needless to say allot more to do yet and that for the most part will be re scribing panel lines.
I have already noticed allot of missing surface details, i am not sure how much of this i will replicate as some of the detail is tricky and you need a little bit more than the usual scribing templates.

Danny this is looking really sweet. Those engines look like the fit it perfect . You going to build the cockput as is or going to do any scratch building ? Keep the awesomeness up

Brian

Great work so far Danny.

February 13th, 2017, 1:03 am #5

AN/AAQ-30 TSS complete.

Great work so far Danny.

February 13th, 2017, 2:25 am #6

AN/AAQ-30 TSS complete.

Like the way you figured how to make the cut for the inboard engine nacelles to fit the wing!

Also like the look of the new sponsons, too!

Hi Brian, i will build the cockpit...

February 13th, 2017, 12:18 pm #7

Danny this is looking really sweet. Those engines look like the fit it perfect . You going to build the cockput as is or going to do any scratch building ? Keep the awesomeness up

Brian
OOB, as far as i can see there are no detail sets for the 1/48 and besides once it is all closed up you dont see much anyway, i think i will more focus on the exterior, just looking at the various ALE-39 Dispensers.
Danny.

Ace Rimmer, what a guy.

www.modelmasteruk.com

awesome work

February 13th, 2017, 5:47 pm #8

AN/AAQ-30 TSS complete.

great start man. I want to do this as well but only have the 72 scale Herk....don't want to fork over that kinda money for the 48 scale one. Good job!

Frilldo
yea...yea....yea...yea....yea...

titan1401@aol.com

KC-130J

February 13th, 2017, 9:07 pm #9

AN/AAQ-30 TSS complete.

Superlative conversion/scratchbuilding work of yours (this C-130 version was unknown to me) .

Good work Danny

Ciao

Alberto

Thanks guys.nt

February 13th, 2017, 9:48 pm #10

Thanks guys.nt
Danny.

Ace Rimmer, what a guy.

www.modelmasteruk.com