Kayaba Katsuodori part II - Finished

Kayaba Katsuodori part II - Finished

April 30th, 2012, 12:50 pm #1

In part I some of you were kind enough to suggest a colour scheme for this one, and most were for the boxtop "giraffe" pattern camo.

I was tempted, but then I found out that Humbrol has discontinued this paint:

Masking that pattern on such a tiny aircraft, or brushpainting it, for that matter, didn't really appeal to me. So I went for experimental orange instead. Don your sunglasses and read on.

Paint is Tamiya TS-56.

The kit comes with a rather primitive ground handling dolly - four parts including wheels. It also comes with a rather unattractive and flimsy fixed undercarriage, presumably to be jettisoned after take off, as it would seriously hamper performance. So I went for the dolly.

The slidemoulded RATO-units were added. They draw some attention away from the clean lines of the aircraft and prevent the model from looking too toylike.

I painted the fins and the intake ring red just to add a little colour. Does look a bit like a goldfish with lipstick gasping for air, though... Might change that intake to blue.

I used the national markings from the kit. They are a tad on the bright side with too little contrast to the orange. Either white surrounds or a darker red similar to that on the fins (or both) will have to be added. Hm... foolish of me to call it finished in the message title...

The hungry goldfish is coming to get ya'!

The canopy is the thinnest and clearest I have ever seen in an injection moulded kit, and a perfect fit. So the minimum of detail I added to the cockpit is actually visible.

To add a bit of interest I used the fin markings that the kit provides for the Navy version.

To sum up: A great little kit of an unusual (unlikely?) subject. Fit was perfect, moulding was some of the cleanest I have seen. Why Meng chose to issue it as a double kit is anybody's guess - I would have preferred one kit in the box but then with a few more details, such as cockpit sidewall detail and perhaps a pilot figure. And perhaps a little more research would have been in order. A fan intake for a ramjet, really!

So that was two all orange Japanese aircraft in a row (the other one being the Kawasaki Ki 78 - scroll back to April 1st for that one). Not quite finished with doing orange stuff, though. I recently bought the new Airfix Zero and plan to do that in a trainer scheme with orange underside and ditto for my also recently acquired AZ Models Willow. Heck, I even considered finishing the Airfix MGB I'm building in orange (but decided after all to go for the originally planned BRG).

I think I need a snack now. Just not an orange...

Last edited by Claus Dam on April 30th, 2012, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2012, 1:04 pm #2

Goldfish and koi are part of the carp family. Similar genetics, just different sizes. I like it in orange. Neat work. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

April 30th, 2012, 1:21 pm #3

You asked in your comment to part I of this build where I got mine. Did you get one? They are not as hard to find as they were a couple of months ago. Didn't expect this to be within your line of interest - but I guess I wouldn't have thought it within mine just a few minths ago

April 30th, 2012, 1:32 pm #4

It is like the title of Eric Brown's book; "Wings of the Wierd and Wonderful". My model airplane collection of over 1500 builds could be subtitled "Alice's Restaurant"("You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaruant!")I inherited my Danish grandfather's sense of humor, whimsey, and love of the off-beat. He was my best friend when I was a child. He emigrated here in 1916. His family lived in Odense. He bought me my first model kit, an Aurora Panther. He subsidized my hobby for years. I haven't boughht a Kamikaze Koi kit yet, but I am thinking about it. Skol. Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
Last edited by CSMO on April 30th, 2012, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2012, 6:06 pm #5

In part I some of you were kind enough to suggest a colour scheme for this one, and most were for the boxtop "giraffe" pattern camo.

Masking that pattern on such a tiny aircraft, or brushpainting it, for that matter, didn't really appeal to me. So I went for experimental orange instead. Don your sunglasses and read on.

Paint is Tamiya TS-56.

The kit comes with a rather primitive ground handling dolly - four parts including wheels. It also comes with a rather unattractive and flimsy fixed undercarriage, presumably to be jettisoned after take off, as it would seriously hamper performance. So I went for the dolly.

The slidemoulded RATO-units were added. They draw some attention away from the clean lines of the aircraft and prevent the model from looking too toylike.

I painted the fins and the intake ring red just to add a little colour. Does look a bit like a goldfish with lipstick gasping for air, though... Might change that intake to blue.

I used the national markings from the kit. They are a tad on the bright side with too little contrast to the orange. Either white surrounds or a darker red similar to that on the fins (or both) will have to be added. Hm... foolish of me to call it finished in the message title...

The canopy is the thinnest and clearest I have ever seen in an injection moulded kit, and a perfect fit. So the minimum of detail I added to the cockpit is actually visible.

To add a bit of interest I used the fin markings that the kit provides for the Navy version.

To sum up: A great little kit of an unusual (unlikely?) subject. Fit was perfect, moulding was some of the cleanest I have seen. Why Meng chose to issue it as a double kit is anybody's guess - I would have preferred one kit in the box but then with a few more details, such as cockpit sidewall detail and perhaps a pilot figure. And perhaps a little more research would have been in order. A fan intake for a ramjet, really!

So that was two all orange Japanese aircraft in a row (the other one being the Kawasaki Ki 78 - scroll back to April 1st for that one). Not quite finished with doing orange stuff, though. I recently bought the new Airfix Zero and plan to do that in a trainer scheme with orange underside and ditto for my also recently acquired AZ Models Willow. Heck, I even considered finishing the Airfix MGB I'm building in orange (but decided after all to go for the originally planned BRG).

Cool finish. Nice job.
Last edited by NinetyThirdLiberator on April 30th, 2012, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2012, 10:04 pm #6

Paint is Tamiya TS-56.

Its a fool that looks at the sun and points at the moon.

Dany Hovinga
Dany Hovinga

May 1st, 2012, 2:26 am #7

Paint is Tamiya TS-56.

May 1st, 2012, 3:01 am #8

Paint is Tamiya TS-56.

Now there's a beautifully rendered subject if I ever saw one, Claus - exceedingly well done! What a nice presentation of a slick looking bird. That's a real eye-catching conversation piece on the model shelf, that's for sure.
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Leon Simpson
Leon Simpson

May 1st, 2012, 3:48 am #9

Paint is Tamiya TS-56.

I must admit I have never seen that kit or even that plane before. Just when you think you've seen it all..

I would love to see a photo of this model with a coin or something in the frame to show it's size. I am guessing it is tiny.

God Bless

May 1st, 2012, 1:25 pm #10

What was the number on that? Might have some in a dusty hobby shop somewhere!!

Cool finish. Nice job.
Must be one of the old Authentics. If you stumble upon a store with stocks, do also look for that very elusive tinlet with RLM 74/75 mottle. I do SO need one for my next Me 262 project...