Kayaba Katsuodori Part I

Kayaba Katsuodori Part I

April 8th, 2012, 6:56 pm #1

Show of hands: Who has not heard of this one before? Ah...well... too many hands to count.

Odd artwork, as this is supposed to be a ramjet aircraft, and the four RATO units would surely have been jettisoned right after take off.

This is the first 1/72 scale kit from a relatively new manufacturer: Meng. A very unusual choice for a first injection kit - and a double kit at that! Yes, there are two complete kits in the box.

The mouldings are some of the best I have seen in this scale - only the barest trace of mould seams, no flash and very crisp panel lines.

Slide moulded parts too.

The canopy is crystal clear and of almost vacform thinness. Good stuff! Nothing in the form of cockpit sidewall details, though.

Since this is very much a "paper plane" no information is of course available, but that didn't stop Meng from doing a nice little instrument panel, so why the lack of sidewall detail?

Parts are provided for a ground handling dolly, a (probably?) jettisonable undercarriage and attachment hardware to fit the little beast underneath a Rita or other Japanese bomber for range, in which case the RATO units would not be necessary.

Fit is perfect - I have used no putty at all. So what's wrong with it? Well... the design is just... weird. First of all the kit provides a fan for the intake - not really appropriate for a ramjet. Second, the engine would have to be buried in the fuselage behind the cockpit, leaving very little space under the cockpit floor for air to pass through to it.

Likely or not - what the heck, I like it!

I added a bit of sidewall detail before closing up the fuselage - but I forgot to take pics! Played a bit with how it would look like in flight as seen from a B-32 over the Japanese islands in early 1946:

But which finish should I choose? Japanese trainer orange (again)? Silver with US markings? RAF DG/OG/trainer yellow and "P in ring" marking? Kawasaki camo as per the boxart? Haven't made up my mind yet.

April 9th, 2012, 12:07 am #2

Very cool, Claus! Must be a pleasure working on a cleanly molded kit.

I've always like that giraffe-hide camouflage on Japanese planes, although I', mot sure how one goes about doing it. I wait with eager expectation to see what scheme you choose.

Stuart

April 9th, 2012, 3:16 am #3

Show of hands: Who has not heard of this one before? Ah...well... too many hands to count.

Odd artwork, as this is supposed to be a ramjet aircraft, and the four RATO units would surely have been jettisoned right after take off.

This is the first 1/72 scale kit from a relatively new manufacturer: Meng. A very unusual choice for a first injection kit - and a double kit at that! Yes, there are two complete kits in the box.

The mouldings are some of the best I have seen in this scale - only the barest trace of mould seams, no flash and very crisp panel lines.

Slide moulded parts too.

The canopy is crystal clear and of almost vacform thinness. Good stuff! Nothing in the form of cockpit sidewall details, though.

Since this is very much a "paper plane" no information is of course available, but that didn't stop Meng from doing a nice little instrument panel, so why the lack of sidewall detail?

Parts are provided for a ground handling dolly, a (probably?) jettisonable undercarriage and attachment hardware to fit the little beast underneath a Rita or other Japanese bomber for range, in which case the RATO units would not be necessary.

Fit is perfect - I have used no putty at all. So what's wrong with it? Well... the design is just... weird. First of all the kit provides a fan for the intake - not really appropriate for a ramjet. Second, the engine would have to be buried in the fuselage behind the cockpit, leaving very little space under the cockpit floor for air to pass through to it.

I added a bit of sidewall detail before closing up the fuselage - but I forgot to take pics! Played a bit with how it would look like in flight as seen from a B-32 over the Japanese islands in early 1946:

But which finish should I choose? Japanese trainer orange (again)? Silver with US markings? RAF DG/OG/trainer yellow and "P in ring" marking? Kawasaki camo as per the boxart? Haven't made up my mind yet.

Tutorials: Plasticene wheel wells Cheap vacform machine Example vac-form
RAAF Kingfisher: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Final
Bronco NOGS: Part 1 Jan 2009 Part 2 Dec 2010(!) Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Final
Frog Vengeance: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Final

April 10th, 2012, 3:39 am #4

Slide moulded parts too.

April 10th, 2012, 4:25 pm #5

Very cool, Claus! Must be a pleasure working on a cleanly molded kit.

I've always like that giraffe-hide camouflage on Japanese planes, although I', mot sure how one goes about doing it. I wait with eager expectation to see what scheme you choose.

Stuart
Never heard of that beast before either. But I got caught on this "new manufacturer's first kit" thing and decided to have a go.

This is the kind of thing that minor resin manufacturers excel in - and there has been a couple of attempts. One with an Me 163 tail - just goes to show how little info there is on this a/c.

April 10th, 2012, 4:35 pm #6

...and I'd do it if I had the skills to do it justice! The masking would be a nightmare. I have thought of doing decals for the giraffe pattern. It would work well on the wings, but on that tiny curved fuselage I'd be in for a lot of work getting decals to conform.

April 10th, 2012, 4:54 pm #7

That box art looks really cool, Claus - and it'll be a test of your painting skills! Since you've got two kits - the RAF bird with the 'P' marking would also look very neat-o.
Best...Ted...
A test of my painting skills? It would be..., it sure would be. And I'm sure I would fail that test

Anyways... I can see a rattle can with orange paint from where I'm sitting... It sure looks tempting...

But you're right that a RAF scheme would be cool? I have a semi-finished Lippish P.13 done that way.

Decisions, decisions...

And no, I don't have two kits. William DC kindly sent me one of the kits in his Ki 78 double kit boxing, so I sent him my extra Kayaba.

April 10th, 2012, 7:35 pm #8

Slide moulded parts too.

April 11th, 2012, 6:33 am #9

...but it's a pretty small plane, so those individual giraffe patches are really small. Hm...I think I need to think this one over a bit...

April 15th, 2012, 2:22 pm #10

Slide moulded parts too.

That looks like a very nice build, I'm surprised their first aircraft kit looks this sharp - they must have a very good business plan and a lot of confidence to start with such expensive tooling equipment

As for colours - the giraffe scheme or the orange all look good - but maybe okha white (or light grey) is a nice easy alternative ?

Thanks for the spare copy - a He-100 will be winging it's way north next weekend !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God