Kawasaki Ki78 - part III. Minor progress only.

Kawasaki Ki78 - part III. Minor progress only.

March 5th, 2012, 11:19 pm #1

Can't believe it's been a month since the last post (this one:http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/t ... +-+part+II)

But shortly after that post I suffered a slight setback as the Ki decided to go flying on its own. The model lost the undercarriage, the u/c doors and the canopy. The prop somehow survived unscathed. The carpet monster claimed a couple of parts. But nothing serious - at least nothing I can't scratchbuild.

This is where it is at now, with main gear reattached and canopy and gear doors still to be (re-)added. Decals are from the kit. If you google "Ki 78" you'll find models in another interpretation of this single colour scheme, and some with blach/white stripes rather than the red/white that the kit provides. Difficult to judge what is correct from the very few photographs that exist of this a/c.

Hmmmm... looking at those pics it seems to have rather long legs. Will need to check photos to see if they need to be shortened.

The Kurogane is finished, as can be seen from the pics. I'm not so sure I like it with the hood up. I might change it to open configuration.

The Ki has given me a taste for odd Japanese subjects. The postman beought this today:

Pretty nice kit! Crispest mouldings I have seen in a long time (slidemoulded, some of it), mould seams hardly visible. But...must..finish...other...projects...first...

Tempting, though

March 6th, 2012, 6:35 am #2

George, out.............

March 6th, 2012, 8:50 pm #3

Can't believe it's been a month since the last post (this one:http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/t ... +-+part+II)

But shortly after that post I suffered a slight setback as the Ki decided to go flying on its own. The model lost the undercarriage, the u/c doors and the canopy. The prop somehow survived unscathed. The carpet monster claimed a couple of parts. But nothing serious - at least nothing I can't scratchbuild.

This is where it is at now, with main gear reattached and canopy and gear doors still to be (re-)added. Decals are from the kit. If you google "Ki 78" you'll find models in another interpretation of this single colour scheme, and some with blach/white stripes rather than the red/white that the kit provides. Difficult to judge what is correct from the very few photographs that exist of this a/c.

Hmmmm... looking at those pics it seems to have rather long legs. Will need to check photos to see if they need to be shortened.

The Kurogane is finished, as can be seen from the pics. I'm not so sure I like it with the hood up. I might change it to open configuration.

The Ki has given me a taste for odd Japanese subjects. The postman beought this today:

Pretty nice kit! Crispest mouldings I have seen in a long time (slidemoulded, some of it), mould seams hardly visible. But...must..finish...other...projects...first...

Tempting, though

On two counts, Claus - that Kawasaki looks just way too cool - love that stand-out orange colour! And that Japanese jet-rocket-plane or whatever it is so quirky looking it's kinda...sorta...pretty, actually. Can't wait to see that one built up!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6; Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

March 6th, 2012, 9:29 pm #4

Tempting, though

I'm sorry to hear about the carpet monsters appetite - but as you say with some elbow grease things can be restored - it looks kinda cool in orange, you have a great finish too, nice work

I had my doubts about the u/c too... but it's just on the good side of acceptable for me

And I like that little Kurogane, I'm a bit stalled on mine now... I don't think I can follow you with a monthly military build - maybe seasonal...

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I
Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Last edited by William De Coster on March 6th, 2012, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 6th, 2012, 11:28 pm #5

Tempting, though

Keep up the good work.

March 7th, 2012, 6:51 am #6

George, out.............
This one never progressed beyond the drawing board. But it is interesting that the design of the Kayaba started at about the same time as that of the Ki78!

March 7th, 2012, 6:55 am #7

On two counts, Claus - that Kawasaki looks just way too cool - love that stand-out orange colour! And that Japanese jet-rocket-plane or whatever it is so quirky looking it's kinda...sorta...pretty, actually. Can't wait to see that one built up!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6; Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
And you're right: That orange colour does stand out in a model collection! I am considering finishing the Kayaba that way too - or perhaps captured in US markings!

March 7th, 2012, 7:13 am #8

I also have seen that Meng kit - and wondering what it was, I never have heard of them before

I'm sorry to hear about the carpet monsters appetite - but as you say with some elbow grease things can be restored - it looks kinda cool in orange, you have a great finish too, nice work

I had my doubts about the u/c too... but it's just on the good side of acceptable for me

And I like that little Kurogane, I'm a bit stalled on mine now... I don't think I can follow you with a monthly military build - maybe seasonal...

* <i></i> * *

... I have actually started to feed him a few unwanted pieces now and then, and that seems to keep him happy. But he was active with the Ki, unfortunately.

U/c doors are not that difficult to replace - and if I recall correctly you did that anyway?

Thanks for your comment on the finish - as I just wrote in a reply on the Airfix forum it is in some situations nice to have a low quality camera and take the pics in poor lighting conditions

As to the slightly stalky stance, it is not as bad as the photos seem to imply. Looking at the pics of your finished model it's quite acceptable. Also, reattaching the main gear once is enough for me!

I have decided to go for a clean look, so I'm not adding horn balances and pitots. So yours is more accurate

No wonder you haven't heard of Meng - this is their first aircraft kit. And it's pretty hard to find - ordered mine from France.

March 7th, 2012, 7:22 am #9

I love those colors. And the next one...what a cool machine that might have been!

Keep up the good work.
I agree: Orange, red, white. Quite striking. Might just do the Kayaba in the same scheme...

March 8th, 2012, 7:59 pm #10

... I have actually started to feed him a few unwanted pieces now and then, and that seems to keep him happy. But he was active with the Ki, unfortunately.

U/c doors are not that difficult to replace - and if I recall correctly you did that anyway?

Thanks for your comment on the finish - as I just wrote in a reply on the Airfix forum it is in some situations nice to have a low quality camera and take the pics in poor lighting conditions

As to the slightly stalky stance, it is not as bad as the photos seem to imply. Looking at the pics of your finished model it's quite acceptable. Also, reattaching the main gear once is enough for me!

I have decided to go for a clean look, so I'm not adding horn balances and pitots. So yours is more accurate

No wonder you haven't heard of Meng - this is their first aircraft kit. And it's pretty hard to find - ordered mine from France.

I tried to replace mine - but I only replaced the inner doors - I didn't use the big outer gear doors (guess where they are) except for the top part with the "knack" in it, that was too difficult to replace

* <i></i> * *