Kawasaki Ki 78 - Part IV: Finished (and a bit of Zero as well)

Kawasaki Ki 78 - Part IV: Finished (and a bit of Zero as well)

April 1st, 2012, 6:03 pm #1

So I got there in the end. Pics reveal a few areas that need a little touching up. Will do that soon.

In part III I had to admit the carpet monster managed to escape with a few undercarriage doors after the Ki took off unexpectedly and landed on the carpet. No major damage, but the CM was there like greased lightning, apparently.

A few days later I received this in the mail from William DC:

As you may recall, William replaced the doors on his Ki with scratch built items, so he sent me those from his kit. Unfortunately I had at that time already scratched my own. But it was a really nice thought, William – thanks!

One thing I should have done was to follow William’s example and attach the canopy before painting and then sand it flush with the fuselage. It is a bit too wide and it shows. Too late now, but I just might be able to trim the lower edges of the canopy a bit and touch up the paintwork. Canopy frames are painted decal strip.

Weathered it slightly as the airframe survived for a long time.

Here it is with its distant cousin (related engines and both speed planes) the Me 209. Huma kit, built 15 or so years ago. Usual Huma quality: Great for a short run kit and only minor fit problems. No doubt which is the more attractive of the two.

I lost count on the number of brush painted coats I applied to the Ki 78 (between 8 and 10), and while waiting for the paint to dry, I worked on an old semi-finished Hasegawa Zero. That is now 90% finished as a plane surrendered to the RNZAF in 1945. By chance Fred Coulson has just posted his excellent model of the very same plane on the Airfix GB forum (great minds... ). Shown alongside the Ki 78 it really shows how small that aircraft is.

White paintwork on the original was a bit on the sloppy side, so for once I could do a semi-rotten paintjob without feeling guilty. Paint is Citadel – a first for me. Excellent stuff.

Just started on the canopy frames. The green on the front fuselage and the black on the cowling will need to be redone - the borders to the white doesn't quite match the real thing.

I should add that the orange colour on the Ki is less vivid in real life. Pics were taken in poor lighting conditions which I tried to compensate for by a bit of not very successful Photoshop magic.

Last edited by Claus Dam on April 1st, 2012, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 8:24 pm #2

Nice work you did on the little Ki - I like that orange colour and these red white markings, they bring more life into the model then my plain silver coat - and it teams up well with the all blue Huma Me-209 - nice combination of colours

The Zero looks excellent too - seems to be popular markings I have somewhere decals for a Chinese captured example, though this doesn't look so eye catching as your (en Freds) white one

I see you were a more patient man then me with the canopy frames, you also did the horizontal frames... I skipped these... back then I thought I saw some pictures without these frames, but checking them again now, I see they "could" be there

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

April 1st, 2012, 9:04 pm #3

So I got there in the end. Pics reveal a few areas that need a little touching up. Will do that soon.

In part III I had to admit the carpet monster managed to escape with a few undercarriage doors after the Ki took off unexpectedly and landed on the carpet. No major damage, but the CM was there like greased lightning, apparently.

As you may recall, William replaced the doors on his Ki with scratch built items, so he sent me those from his kit. Unfortunately I had at that time already scratched my own. But it was a really nice thought, William – thanks!

One thing I should have done was to follow William’s example and attach the canopy before painting and then sand it flush with the fuselage. It is a bit too wide and it shows. Too late now, but I just might be able to trim the lower edges of the canopy a bit and touch up the paintwork. Canopy frames are painted decal strip.

Here it is with its distant cousin (related engines and both speed planes) the Me 209. Huma kit, built 15 or so years ago. Usual Huma quality: Great for a short run kit and only minor fit problems. No doubt which is the more attractive of the two.

I lost count on the number of brush painted coats I applied to the Ki 78 (between 8 and 10), and while waiting for the paint to dry, I worked on an old semi-finished Hasegawa Zero. That is now 90% finished as a plane surrendered to the RNZAF in 1945. By chance Fred Coulson has just posted his excellent model of the very same plane on the Airfix GB forum (great minds... ). Shown alongside the Ki 78 it really shows how small that aircraft is.

White paintwork on the original was a bit on the sloppy side, so for once I could do a semi-rotten paintjob without feeling guilty. Paint is Citadel – a first for me. Excellent stuff.

Just started on the canopy frames. The green on the front fuselage and the black on the cowling will need to be redone - the borders to the white doesn't quite match the real thing.

I should add that the orange colour on the Ki is less vivid in real life. Pics were taken in poor lighting conditions which I tried to compensate for by a bit of not very successful Photoshop magic.

Greg in OK

April 2nd, 2012, 3:48 am #4

There is something about that prototype Japanese orange...

Well done.

April 2nd, 2012, 5:00 pm #5

Current Build:
Postwar RCAF Pt. 1

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

April 2nd, 2012, 5:08 pm #6

Nice work you did on the little Ki - I like that orange colour and these red white markings, they bring more life into the model then my plain silver coat - and it teams up well with the all blue Huma Me-209 - nice combination of colours

The Zero looks excellent too - seems to be popular markings I have somewhere decals for a Chinese captured example, though this doesn't look so eye catching as your (en Freds) white one

I see you were a more patient man then me with the canopy frames, you also did the horizontal frames... I skipped these... back then I thought I saw some pictures without these frames, but checking them again now, I see they "could" be there

* <i></i> * *

Thanks for your comments, William!

You're right about the frames - it's quite difficult to see from the few existing photos what is actually there. I don't have positive evidence for the horisontal ones - just thought the model would look good with them added! They are moulded on as slight ridges, so the designers of the kit also believed they were there.

I added the Zero as an afterthought to give some idea of the proportions of the tiny Ki.

I have grown quite fond of those high speed planes from the late thirties and am just waiting to find an old Lindberg He 100 to finish as the record breaking aircraft.

April 2nd, 2012, 5:09 pm #7

Good stuff here.

Greg in OK
It was fun doing this one - despite the many coats of orange!

April 2nd, 2012, 5:18 pm #8

Great schemes and wonderful execution.

There is something about that prototype Japanese orange...

Well done.
It IS a pretty striking colour, isn't it? I'm considering finishing my Kayaba (that weird jet thingy) the same way. I also just received a Valom Yokosuka Willow from Hannant's (fantastic kit, btw), and that calls for orange as well. But I think I'm through with brushpainting that stuff. Once is enough! Airbrush out of storage.

Picasso had his blue period, I seem to be entering my orange one (no comparison, of course...)

April 2nd, 2012, 5:23 pm #9

April 2nd, 2012, 6:54 pm #10

Thanks for your comments, William!

You're right about the frames - it's quite difficult to see from the few existing photos what is actually there. I don't have positive evidence for the horisontal ones - just thought the model would look good with them added! They are moulded on as slight ridges, so the designers of the kit also believed they were there.

I added the Zero as an afterthought to give some idea of the proportions of the tiny Ki.

I have grown quite fond of those high speed planes from the late thirties and am just waiting to find an old Lindberg He 100 to finish as the record breaking aircraft.

* <i></i> * *