Justa Fool'n around................. Frankenstein the monster 1/6th

Justa Fool'n around................. Frankenstein the monster 1/6th

March 27th, 2012, 8:37 pm #1

G'day all,

This is a 2nd for me at figures. This is a rebuild of the old Aurora Frankenstein kit now released by Revell/Monogram. I posted earlier in progress shots but now we have the finished product. The original kit in its out of the box/basic form was horribly disproportionate and needed careful cutting and the use of epoxy/magic sculpt to rebuild the limbs and body. I choose to model it with improved clothing and this resulted in a much better, more movie like appearance don't you think? A first for me was the use of liquidtex gel. This thick glue/paint when used with a stamp created a cloth like appearance over the sculpted areas.

The Paint is Pollyscale Rail Road colours which are fantastic and very durable. My old 30yrs Badger 150 with side mounted cup did most of the shadowing on the figure. I guess its all in the thinning and screening the paint mix to make it work. Oils with Humbrol added to improve opacity and a 0 fine brush used for the lines in the face. The model was sealed with Pollyscale flat varnish which dries very flat and won't yellow like Dullcoat. I'm kinda happy with the finish just hope it's not to scary look'n.........lol!

Hey its all a learning curve for me. Figure painting is another artform and skill base from my norm. Kinda refreshing to do something besides a 1/48 scale jet or prop job. I hope you like it and if I can be of any assistance to anyone trying to build or replicate what I've done here please post a comment and I reply.

Thanks for viewing and always remember build build build and always have fun!

PHIL
Last edited by LongMan2 on September 1st, 2016, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2012, 12:29 am #2

I hate to meet it by flash light!

--

I looked through the window over the green fields, and saw row on row, sharply white against the green, rising with the hill and dropping again into the hollows-keeping a firm line as they had been taught to do-a battalion on its last parade. The Cenotaph and no one there? That can never be.
-The heart of London, H.V. Morton

March 28th, 2012, 12:46 am #3

G'day all,

This is a 2nd for me at figures. This is a rebuild of the old Aurora Frankenstein kit now released by Revell/Monogram. I posted earlier in progress shots but now we have the finished product. The original kit in its out of the box/basic form was horribly disproportionate and needed careful cutting and the use of epoxy/magic sculpt to rebuild the limbs and body. I choose to model it with improved clothing and this resulted in a much better, more movie like appearance don't you think? A first for me was the use of liquidtex gel. This thick glue/paint when used with a stamp created a cloth like appearance over the sculpted areas.

The Paint is Pollyscale Rail Road colours which are fantastic and very durable. My old 30yrs Badger 150 with side mounted cup did most of the shadowing on the figure. I guess its all in the thinning and screening the paint mix to make it work. Oils with Humbrol added to improve opacity and a 0 fine brush used for the lines in the face. The model was sealed with Pollyscale flat varnish which dries very flat and won't yellow like Dullcoat. I'm kinda happy with the finish just hope it's not to scary look'n.........lol!

Hey its all a learning curve for me. Figure painting is another artform and skill base from my norm. Kinda refreshing to do something besides a 1/48 scale jet or prop job. I hope you like it and if I can be of any assistance to anyone trying to build or replicate what I've done here please post a comment and I reply.

PHIL
Those old Aurora kits are a lot of fun to work with. One detail though is the figure represents the monster as he looked in Bride of Frankenstein, where his coat sleeves were burned away revealing the lining to the coat. People think this is his shirt but its not; just the inside of the coat.

Karloff wore different boots in his three stints as the monster although the ones you show look more like the ones worn later on by Glenn Strange. They are also knee high boots

[/IMG]

March 28th, 2012, 12:48 am #4

G'day all,

PHIL
Super excellent paint detail, that is really awesome Phil!! :o)

March 28th, 2012, 7:59 am #5

I hate to meet it by flash light!

--

I looked through the window over the green fields, and saw row on row, sharply white against the green, rising with the hill and dropping again into the hollows-keeping a firm line as they had been taught to do-a battalion on its last parade. The Cenotaph and no one there? That can never be.
-The heart of London, H.V. Morton
G'day Dany,

Yeah meeting the monster in the dark. To be honest I think Aurora when they started this monster producing program were a little concerned. Concerned enough that they deliberately toned down the monsters so they wouldn't frighten little children. The Frankenstein monster had its proportions modified so that it wouldn't appear frightening to little children. How times have changed..........Food for thought.

Thanks again

PHIL

March 28th, 2012, 8:06 am #6

Those old Aurora kits are a lot of fun to work with. One detail though is the figure represents the monster as he looked in Bride of Frankenstein, where his coat sleeves were burned away revealing the lining to the coat. People think this is his shirt but its not; just the inside of the coat.

Karloff wore different boots in his three stints as the monster although the ones you show look more like the ones worn later on by Glenn Strange. They are also knee high boots

[/IMG]
G'day David,

I'm still learning how to do this figure thing. Believe it or not this is my second attempt at a figure. I was ok at oil painting in school but no where at artist level. As far as an accurate monster it would have taken many more days to craft something very real. TO be honest I needed to finish it so I took the easy way out with just a few corrections to be a pass. There are much better sculpted figures out there of Frankenstein than my little effort. Maybe I should have a go at one of those kits............when I get some money. I'd like to see what I could do.

Thanks for the kind comments

PHIL

March 28th, 2012, 8:06 am #7

Super excellent paint detail, that is really awesome Phil!! :o)
Thanks much Steve.............................glad you like the paint!

March 28th, 2012, 1:40 pm #8

G'day all,

PHIL
n/t

March 28th, 2012, 2:53 pm #9

G'day all,

PHIL
Great rendering of the skin tones and clothing!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 28th, 2012, 3:12 pm #10

G'day David,

I'm still learning how to do this figure thing. Believe it or not this is my second attempt at a figure. I was ok at oil painting in school but no where at artist level. As far as an accurate monster it would have taken many more days to craft something very real. TO be honest I needed to finish it so I took the easy way out with just a few corrections to be a pass. There are much better sculpted figures out there of Frankenstein than my little effort. Maybe I should have a go at one of those kits............when I get some money. I'd like to see what I could do.

Thanks for the kind comments

PHIL
Forget the Moebius standing Frankenstein - its one of the worst plastic figure kits ever. Even the base is useless. However, their upcoming Bride of Frankenstein two figure set looks to be awesome. While not Frankenstein, the Moebius Bela Lugosi kit is also excellent.

I just ordered two nice large resin kits

The Glenn Strange Frankenstein

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/fr ... m5ldhtlgh1

And the Aurora Box Art Tribute kit

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/fr ... m5ldhtlgh1

Both are exceptionally well done models. The Strange kit in particular is accurate for what it portrays. The Box Art Tribute kit is more or less the Strange make up but with details from the Karloff prototype makeup. But, that's the way the original James Bama artowork was rendered. You can't go wrong with either kit.