Just pulled up the Verlinden

Just pulled up the Verlinden

June 4th, 2007, 9:52 pm #1

site, clicked on July releases. New 120 mm figure. "Where Iron Crosses Grow." SS man in cammo tunic, with obviuous SS rank badge on left collar, and what looks like an SS belt buckle. Problem is he's wearing a helmet showing the pre-1942 National Colors, red white & black shield. Wouldn't be worn by an SS man for sure, as it was a Whermacht insignia, and would be worn on the right side of an Army, Luftwaffe, or Navy helmet. The SS, being a political organisation could not legally wear this badge. In its place, they wore a red shield, with white disc and black swastika. To add insult to injury, the painter elected to put the shield on the left side, not the right. How completely wrong can you get. You'd think the manufacturer would hire a painter who knew what was what. Not a big deal? Too many painters don't do research, but assume the maker did. That leaves quite a few folks painting their figures wrong. An insult to History. Hal Marshman. Sr.

June 5th, 2007, 4:52 pm #2

The box art painted wanted the color of the shield, but knew that if he painted the SS shield it would not be possible to use the box art on many sites or catalogues. even eBay will remove auctiosn with that now.

June 6th, 2007, 1:01 pm #3

but, they have may kits in their catalog that have images of swatkas, and all things natzi....
I am guessing that someone dropped the ball.....(which, with their agressive release schedule would seem more possible, but hardly makes it right.

oh ell, no biggie for me, I saw it, said JAFN, and moved on... Now if they would only do more Nappers!

June 6th, 2007, 1:52 pm #4

The proportions and uniform details are wayyyyyyyy off... Better figures are available from pretty much ANY company. The Verlinden ones are priced pretty good but the quality is so low as far as accuracy and sculpting.

June 6th, 2007, 2:12 pm #5

are the 120mm that Mike Blank sculpted for UEM. Also, some of the old Roll Call kits are nice. As far as price, it is gone oo far for me. I can and will afford used Verlinden, and watch epay on occasion, but, I have enough as it is now.
I always felt the Velinden Hussars were pretty fair dinkum, never spotted any anatomy issues. As for uniforms, there was plenty of room for interpretation abck then, so, I can forgive and forget.

June 7th, 2007, 1:50 pm #6

Has so many errors its an abortion. The uniform is fair, but maybe not for the regiment it represents. Also, the horse fittings don't match with the regiment either, like the Portmanteau is a different shape. The horse itself is much smaller than 120mm. The horse is probably the worst part of the whole kit. The complete figure/horse is very rigidly posed and unrealistic. Its only saving grace is that its $65 or so...

Jim Mc
Jim Mc

June 7th, 2007, 7:00 pm #7

What's your problem? Why do you feel you have to critique the damed things? All I said was that I liked them, and you go ripping into them like the fate of the world lies on the accuracy of a damn model. Don't like, it? Don't buy it. Me? I am gonna buy the damn things whether YOU like them or not.

ps- I NEVER asked you for an opinion anyhow.

June 7th, 2007, 8:35 pm #8

That wasnt my point. But whatever. You make them sound like the best thing since sliced bread whearas IMHO they are half baked, ill researched, poorly sculpted and proportioned.

June 7th, 2007, 8:38 pm #9

What's your problem? Why do you feel you have to critique the damed things? All I said was that I liked them, and you go ripping into them like the fate of the world lies on the accuracy of a damn model. Don't like, it? Don't buy it. Me? I am gonna buy the damn things whether YOU like them or not.

ps- I NEVER asked you for an opinion anyhow.
I do have half a dozen of the standing Verlinden Nap figures that will go up on eBay. Since I got them at cost, I will probably put them up as buy it nows for $15 USD or so. Maybe sometime in the next couple of days.

June 8th, 2007, 2:45 pm #10

That wasnt my point. But whatever. You make them sound like the best thing since sliced bread whearas IMHO they are half baked, ill researched, poorly sculpted and proportioned.
I enjoyed them.. YOU went on the tirade.