Just got the USS Freedom....neat little kit (and I do mean little) -

Just got the USS Freedom....neat little kit (and I do mean little) -

July 8th, 2012, 3:53 pm #1

I got it because I so enjoyed building the Wasp (first ship model in a lotta years for me), that I thought this would be a nice addition. I see now (even though it's the same scale), that the Freedom will be dwarfed by the Wasp. Oh well....guess I'll display it in FRONT of the assault ship.

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

July 8th, 2012, 4:50 pm #2

It's certainly no cruiser. But I like the lines of her. Too bad her operational career so far hasn't been exactly comforting. Lots and lots of problems. I suppose the fact that she's new, experimental, and more than a little different from other ships means there are going to be teething problems? Her light weight and lightning fast speeds are bound to cause problems I suppose. I've heard she can accelerate like a speed boat from dead stop to full (classified) speed. I'm going to guess the crew has to buckle in before they hit the throttles? Being mashed against the aft bulkhead can't be fun.

Enjoy the kit Craig. It's a beautiful kit but has a ton of tiny tiny parts. And without a deadline I expect to see another great model when you are done! Hopefully even better than mine.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

July 8th, 2012, 5:16 pm #3

There's a few other kits in that same class (and scale) I was looking at that seem pretty neat as well. Who knows....I just might become a temporary "ship guy".

July 8th, 2012, 5:34 pm #4

Excellent detail, full photoetch, and very few problems with tiny parts. The cage masts and all the antennas make it look super detailed and it's in the same scale and time period as the Freedom and the Wasp. They would make a wicked looking task group.

There's nothing wrong with trying other areas of the hobby. I'm doing ships because that's what I get paid to do but I have plenty of cars and space ships and "what ifs" and tanks and aircraft too. Doing the same subject gets boring after a few years. I've even done model railroading but I haven't got the time, money, and room to get back into that field. It makes me sick to think of the ex-wife throwing that layout out. If she sold anything she got 2 cents on the dollar for it, but I'll bet most or all of it hit the landfill. Brass engines and all. Oh well, it was worth it just to be rid of her.

July 8th, 2012, 6:32 pm #5

...but they look to be just about the same ship as the Freedom (which, as you say, could be "boring" after doing all of 'em). I'll check out the one you mentioned, though - thanks.

Last edited by craigindaytona on July 8th, 2012, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2012, 7:52 pm #6

Other than weird color profiles it's a good kit and looks amazingly complex for as easy as it is to put together. It's just bristling with antennas and guns and stuff. IIRC all it needed was anchor chains? Otherwise very complete and very business like.

July 8th, 2012, 9:32 pm #7

...and it struck me (I don't know why I didn't think about it at the time) - why did Gallery Models include (and why did I build) all the "extra" stuff that ya can't see?

2 Hovercraft, 2 LST-type landing craft, 2 howitzers and a whole buncha trucks, 4 tanks and other Marine fighting vehicles, etc., etc. - all hidden below decks.

There's no way any of that stuff would be on the flight deck and you'd need a small closet if ya wanted to do a diorama, so what's the point?

At least all those little things won't get dusty. LOL

July 12th, 2012, 4:20 am #8

I got it because I so enjoyed building the Wasp (first ship model in a lotta years for me), that I thought this would be a nice addition. I see now (even though it's the same scale), that the Freedom will be dwarfed by the Wasp. Oh well....guess I'll display it in FRONT of the assault ship.

You know they are there. Will not be long before there is an inexpensive fiber optic fish eye camera that will allow you to show these bits to anyone skeptical.

(You did fit the P.E. steering wheels, shift levers, and rear-view mirrors with the fuzzy dice into the truck driving compartments, right?)

July 12th, 2012, 4:42 pm #9

Ya still can't the the well deck...only the hangar deck.