Just got my Eduard BF-109E-4 - beautiful kit ! What's the concensus ...

Just got my Eduard BF-109E-4 - beautiful kit ! What's the concensus ...

July 1st, 2012, 7:41 pm #1

... on the length? (I've read all the post - no clear winner)

I compared it to the Hasegawa E-3, the Airfix E-1/3/7, and the Academy E-7 (don't have a Tamiya), and to my uneducated eye, it appears just a hair larger in every dimmension, rather than too long in the aft fuselage.

To me, I think the poster (may have been modelDad) that said it was a 1/47th seems to be right.

Was there any concenus ever reached?

I'm not really a rivet counter, and intend the enjoy the build as is - more or less. I'm just curious.

Colin

July 1st, 2012, 8:25 pm #2

about how many are just too critical and unappreciative and yad yada yada

and that there was an accepted length, but since the kit may be off, the stated length had to be wrong, not the kit.

I bought one. I have a bunch of pictures of the E with the engine exposed, and I liked Brett's build. Then again, If it is inaccurate, I've built a lot of inaccurate kits., I even have a Hasegawa Stumpfire Mk. IX.

I used search function for Eduard Bf 109E-4 length.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... 09E+length

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... f109E-1---

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... known-----

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... t+accuracy

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... w+Bf-109E-

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
Last edited by modeldad on July 1st, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 1st, 2012, 9:31 pm #3

I compared it to the Hasegawa E-3, the Airfix E-1/3/7, and the Academy E-7 (don't have a Tamiya), and to my uneducated eye, it appears just a hair larger in every dimmension, rather than too long in the aft fuselage.

To me, I think the poster (may have been modelDad) that said it was a 1/47th seems to be right.

I'm not really a rivet counter, and intend the enjoy the build as is - more or less. I'm just curious.

Colin
Actually two from the Royal Class kit. I have to say I've enjoyed this kit immensely. It is the ultimate Emil kit as far as I'm concerned. Is it the easiest build? No, but it is the best fitting kit I've ever built. For a 'complicated' build it is easily the best engineered kit I've ever come across.

Look for the review on IPMS/USA website when I get done with them. That is if I ever get power back.
Floyd

July 1st, 2012, 9:55 pm #4

Colin
nt

"Never run out of airspeed,altitude and ideas all at the same time" Pilots Creed

July 1st, 2012, 10:01 pm #5

Actually two from the Royal Class kit. I have to say I've enjoyed this kit immensely. It is the ultimate Emil kit as far as I'm concerned. Is it the easiest build? No, but it is the best fitting kit I've ever built. For a 'complicated' build it is easily the best engineered kit I've ever come across.

Look for the review on IPMS/USA website when I get done with them. That is if I ever get power back.
Floyd
I've got the E-1 on the table and I've got some nitpicks...it's not a light years improvement over the Airfix for a E-1.

I'll wait and see what the Dragon E-4 looks like this scale before I get the Eduard...and anyone wanting to throw away those icky old Tamiya E-4's kits I'm running a adoption agency for them...they'll find good homes with people who will love and protect them
Last edited by 7776618 on July 1st, 2012, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 1st, 2012, 10:04 pm #6

nt

"Never run out of airspeed,altitude and ideas all at the same time" Pilots Creed
(I'm assuming this thread is talking about 1:48)

The Airfix is cheaper(price might vary with location) but if you don't take the price into account I'd definitely give the nod to the Eduard kit for finesse of detail and moulding quality. Have not built either but I suspect the Airfix kit will be easier to build. Also the Airfix kit has an E-3/4 option.

Last edited by Gluehuffer on July 1st, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 1st, 2012, 10:10 pm #7

They really need to fix the canopy on the E-4/7 version to get the nod there...I'll stick with Tamiya for those until I see how Dragon does theirs.

Eduards fuselage is too long...I've got 2 of the E-1's but really don't plan on more

July 1st, 2012, 10:14 pm #8

Colin
Although I've only had a brief look at the E-1 & E-4 'in the flesh', it seems to me that while generally being very cleanly and finely moulded, they suffer from the same problem as their 1/32 brothers in that the chord of the slats appears to be too wide. Even if this is so, they can be built up into very respectable replicas without the need for any additional aftermarket additions as may be seen here and elsewhere on the web.

Cheers
Dave

July 1st, 2012, 10:43 pm #9

I gotta care package yesterday from Larry Goodle, I'll relay those fuselage 1/2's (plus everything else...I just want the elevators and E-3 canopy parts

Need a heavy box, I have this picture of Canuck Postal Workers stepping on the poor thing

July 1st, 2012, 10:44 pm #10

I've got the E-1 on the table and I've got some nitpicks...it's not a light years improvement over the Airfix for a E-1.

I'll wait and see what the Dragon E-4 looks like this scale before I get the Eduard...and anyone wanting to throw away those icky old Tamiya E-4's kits I'm running a adoption agency for them...they'll find good homes with people who will love and protect them
But overall I like it. I have a few Tamiya kits , more than a handful of the Hasegawa kits and an Airfix one. They all have their attributes and drawbacks but the fit and complexity of this kit makes it my favorite Emil, especially for diorama ideas.

I'll keep all of them and build most of them. I should do a review of all of the kits on build ability and fun. As far as accuracy goes, well let's just say I'm not your average modeler, even when it comes to 109s.

I build for fun and not rivet counting.
Floyd