Is There A Phone Number For Sprue Brothers?

Is There A Phone Number For Sprue Brothers?

June 12th, 2012, 8:32 pm #1

I'd like to order some stuff but I don't trust email with my credit card. Yep, I'm old school. Thanks.

June 12th, 2012, 9:55 pm #2

I am afraid you will be disappointed in SB's response to your concern. However here is the link to the location of their phone number, it is readily available on their web page.

Be advised of this though:

- Credit card information is processed via the internet whether you place the order on your computer or call it in for us to process.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/helpdesk ... RowID=1168

While you may be "old-school" there are very few merchants who do not use the internet in some form to process credit card orders. So using email won't put you at any more or less risk, than any transaction over the phone.

June 12th, 2012, 10:39 pm #3

I'd like to order some stuff but I don't trust email with my credit card. Yep, I'm old school. Thanks.
... eliminated by sending two e-mail messages, one containing the first and third groups of four digits and the other containing the second and fourth, because the task of matching those two messages isn't worth a data-dredging bad guy's time due to the availability of many much easier targets. For example, if your cc number were 1764 0936 1122 8799, then you'd send "1764 XXXX 1122 XXXX" in one message and "XXXX 0936 XXXX 8799" in the other.

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.

June 13th, 2012, 12:17 am #4

POP. Sending your CC number over the net is not what you have to worry about. It would be an EXTREAMLY rare situation for anyone to intercept your number. What usually happens is that the CC number is put in a file and someone hacks into the files and steals a bunch of numbers. THis is beyond your control, and the company's as far as that goes. Usually, these things are handeled by a seperate company. Think of it as paypal for big companies. I tell Sprue not to keep my CC on file because of this and because it makes it even easier to order from them if I do this.

Hannants had this happen and the last I heard they still haven't figured out how it happened. I was caught in this. I didn't loose any money but got a new CC because of it.

Jim Johnson

June 13th, 2012, 1:39 am #5

I'm more concerned about what happens to my credit card at restaurants and gas stations than I am over the interwebz. No matter what you do, you're always at risk.

June 13th, 2012, 2:46 am #6

I use paypal with sprue bros. No credit card involved

June 13th, 2012, 4:49 am #7

To be honest I find it bizarre people won't use a CC online, it's by far the safest way to purchase things. BTW, you don't email the card number anymore, that was 20 years ago.

June 13th, 2012, 8:23 am #8

I use paypal with sprue bros. No credit card involved
both my wifes and mine, ironically they ordered a wish list off spruebrothers and paid with mine, they ordered an expensive camera with my wifes paypal account. The really weird thing is they didn't change the shipping address, the spruebrothers order turned up at our house last week which was the first we knew of it. We caught the camera order in time though, but now my wifes account is in the red while they deal with it. Every password off every site we use had to be changed, luckily we had a new laptop as well since the old one was obviously hit with a virus or trojan of some sort which allowed the mess to happen in the first place...

June 13th, 2012, 1:27 pm #9

I am afraid you will be disappointed in SB's response to your concern. However here is the link to the location of their phone number, it is readily available on their web page.

Be advised of this though:

- Credit card information is processed via the internet whether you place the order on your computer or call it in for us to process.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/helpdesk ... RowID=1168

While you may be "old-school" there are very few merchants who do not use the internet in some form to process credit card orders. So using email won't put you at any more or less risk, than any transaction over the phone.
than the telephone. With a simple inexpensive device you can easily monitor phone conversations and collect information. Intelligence agencies have been doing it for decades.

Cordless phones are so easy to intercept with a scanner that covers the appropriate band. Many people also have baby monitors in their homes which are also easily to listen to. You'd be amazed at what you can hear!

If you are paying with a CC, then the money you are using isn't yours, but your banks and the risk is on them not you. If you are using a debt card, you assume the immediate risk so I suggest you only use one associated with an account not tied to your main checking or savings.

Paypal is another way of putting a layer of protection between you and the vendor. Paypal is secure, otherwise millions of individuals and businesses would avoid it like the plague.

Yes, there are accounts that get compromised, but typically it is failure to use common sense, malicious malware which has found its way into your computer or complex hacking schemes which no on has control at preventing.

As it was stated, when you had your CC or DC to someone who takes it out of your view/control who knows what they are doing with it. Criminals are likely to double swipe your card, once to pay for your purchase and again on a separate card reader to steal your information.

A local convenience store had just such an clerk. Double swiping cards behind the counter out of the customer's vision. Collected card numbers and sold them within minutes over the internet to credit thieves overseas. The person was caught, on video by the stores cameras and prosecuted. Those hurt most were the ones who were using Debt Cards tied to their primary banking account and not keen on using online banking to monitor their account(s) activities. The banking institutions provide the means and tools, yet too many are skeptical due to misinformation about security.

Pay at the pump? Yes, that information too is transmitted over to the internet!

June 13th, 2012, 1:53 pm #10

Not sure why you would use email. It is not secure at all.

However, the Sprue brother ordering system is secure. When you go to check out, the order system is on https., not http. the "s" is not for savings, but rather for secure. Same as you bank uses. Although, there are degrees.

As for phone, are you sure it is not being tapped? Then again, Gordon will write down you credit info. Are you sure he will thoroughly destroy it?

Bottom line, you are not liable for fraud on your credit card. Just report it and you are free and clear. Never use a debit card, no legal requirement for fraud protection.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming