Is Tamiya Flat Lacquer Spray Safe To Apply Over Future?

Is Tamiya Flat Lacquer Spray Safe To Apply Over Future?

March 20th, 2017, 2:28 am #1

Apologies for the newbie question, guys, but I'm thinking to give spray matte a try again, and have heard good things about the Tamiya. But it is a lacquer. I paint with acrylics, ModelMaster or old PollyScale, mostly, and I cut these with Future to eliminate brushmarks. I usually put a Future coat on for decals, and knock back the shine with 3000 grit pads, and sometimes Future cut with the Tamiya matte base. Everything, of course, has its little problems, and I have been thinking a rattle-can might be worth a shot again (Krylon flat I did not like one little bit). But is Tamiya's flat lacquer safe to spray out a rattle-can on the Future and Future cut acrylics I use?

March 20th, 2017, 2:53 am #2

March 20th, 2017, 3:25 am #3

Apologies for the newbie question, guys, but I'm thinking to give spray matte a try again, and have heard good things about the Tamiya. But it is a lacquer. I paint with acrylics, ModelMaster or old PollyScale, mostly, and I cut these with Future to eliminate brushmarks. I usually put a Future coat on for decals, and knock back the shine with 3000 grit pads, and sometimes Future cut with the Tamiya matte base. Everything, of course, has its little problems, and I have been thinking a rattle-can might be worth a shot again (Krylon flat I did not like one little bit). But is Tamiya's flat lacquer safe to spray out a rattle-can on the Future and Future cut acrylics I use?
safe to spray over anything, even lacquer over enamel if 2 conditions are met. One: the underlying layer must be fully cured (no smell emanates from it-----can be a week or more for enamel, depending on environmental conditions) and two: the topcoat is misted on, not laid down in a wet layer. I have used Dullcoat over Colourcoat enamels many times without incident, and my go to paint is Mr. Color, a nitrocellulose paint, frequently over enamel or acquous acrylics. Just be patient and be gentle. HTH
Remember the USS Liberty

March 20th, 2017, 4:29 am #4

I will leave it on the order, then, and give it a try (on something expendable first).

March 20th, 2017, 11:12 am #5

I've never used the Tamiya lacquer spray. My instinct is lacquer is "too hot" to be put over anything else. However, I will defer to those who have actually used it.

Good luck!

Brent

Visit Roll Models at: www.RollModels.com

March 20th, 2017, 2:43 pm #6

Since you have Future, mix it with Tamiya Flat Base and airbrush with zero concerns since you are doing acrylic over acrylic.

March 20th, 2017, 3:22 pm #7

So for any spray I am restricted to the rattle-can.

I get pretty decent results cutting Model Master style acrylics with Future, applied in thin coats and gone over with 3000 and 5000 grit polishing pads. This can do a pretty good job, too, a taking down shine of a gloss coat to a nice satin finish.

I do use Tamiya flat base in Future fairly often, but it needs a bit of extra care when done by brush, because you can find sometimes little bits where it can pool, that go frosty (and of course, if you get too much of the flatting agent in, frost can appear anywhere). It is fixable, but a bother.

What I was thinking with the rattle-can was that giving a spray from directly above and a little to each side might give a more or less controlled extra flatting to areas hit by the sun.

March 20th, 2017, 7:01 pm #8

The Future/flat base mixture brushes very nicely.